How much should I spend on rent?

hey everyone, just packing my bags, will be in KL in a month to start a new job. Very excited.
I'm wondering how much of my salary I should put towards my accommodation.
Say if my salary is 5000 a month, and I spend 2000 on rent, is 3000 a decent amount to live off. I'm single, and I usually cook for myself, although I love to eat and food sands as well; I also like to party a little on the weekends. Other than that I have no major expenses other than the usual. (phone, internet etc etc)
Some advice would be great. I definitley like to live in a cool area and pay a little more rent, than have  a bit of extra cash in my pocket but living in the  twilight zone.

Can I do a decent bangsar or damansara place for under 2000?

Thanks everyone. And maybe we'll have a beer somewhere together soon.

A

Welcome to Malaysia! it depends on where is your office allocated at. if choose to stay in heart of the city, rental could be from MYR2.5k and above for full furnish, of course if it is just a stoney away to the train station,stay in a place with lots of expat,you may need to pay a little bid higher.

All are depends on how quality live and conveniece place that you need for. my advise to you is, narrow to the specific location,so that easier for your to spot a right apartment for stay. such as near to office tower and so on,as an expat, convenience and walking distance to office is the must as you dont have a car at first yet.

Check Bangsar 10 Semantan you can get it from 1400 studio though
But you should know where is your office located, traffic jams are common here and hectic most of the times during morning and evening

Hi aleos and welcome to expat-blog.

You can also check our housing kuala kumpur section for more help.

Best of luck,
Melissa

thanks guys, my office is in Cheras, I will be lecturing at UCSI university.

What I was really hoping to know is, if I'm making 5000rm, is 2000rm too much to spend on rent? Of course this is a personal decision, but is 3000, after rent, a decent amount to survive on?

Thanks.

aleos wrote:

thanks guys, my office is in Cheras, I will be lecturing at UCSI university.

What I was really hoping to know is, if I'm making 5000rm, is 2000rm too much to spend on rent? Of course this is a personal decision, but is 3000, after rent, a decent amount to survive on?

Thanks.

USCI, you may stay at connaught. rental there start from MYR800 (basic flat)  - MYR2k ( apartment/condominium) for full furnish, depends on quality of the apartment.

Cheras area, rental wont be that high compare to KL City. MYR5k is more than enough, if not not the person who smoke,and drink alcohol all the time, for sure still have at least 1.5k saving a month.

3k to live on yes? Party hell no. Many expats spend 5k just on booze!

one more thing ready to pay 26% tax for first 6 months so dont just simply jump into gun

I would agree with Cool, suggesting you Taman Connaught area, Connaught Avenue is a reasonable place to live. security over there is sharp and mostly students of USCI reside there. you can find many exapts in that condo.

you can check out Seri Cendekia Condo, Taman Connaught, Cheras,UCSI.

I would advise you search for an apartment/house near USCI, as places like Damansara and Bangsar are a bit far and probably you have to face the traffic jams until unless you are using LRT for transport..

thanks guys for all the information.
I think I will look into something in the connaught at the beginning, the price is nice, and it is close to my job. And if there is a lot of students then there will be some life. That's good, I need some action.

On another note, what's the best plans for iphone in KL? I don't talk too much so I don't need alot of minutes.

thanks again