I got mugged !!!

this might be interesting to some to fallow the footsteps just in case

well, i've been here in PP for about an year now, pleased with how nothing major happens ..untill today when right outside the Vikings restaurant on street 430,at lunch time, and a guy on a motto pulled my purse from my hand N away he was with it ..

i've so lost my passport, the passport for my cat, my bank account papers , house keys , cell phone, 540$ and some other stuff which was not that important ..

first stop ---> the police to file a report
next stop the immigration office to  figure out how and what to do about my passport and visa  and all ..

wish me the best .. i need it !

Ali

Aaliyah01 wrote:

wish me the best .. i need it ! Ali

Sorry to hear that :(

I think you need something more than "the best" ... All of our thoughts and prayers are with you ;)

Hope everything will be ok in the end :)

Good Luck :)

Sorry to hear that. Here in the Philippines they will not only snatch your purse, but your cellphone, gold chain and even pull your earrings from your ears! Ouch
The best advise is to carry 2 wallets one with little money are maybe a fake or old ID. And keep your valuables in  your pockets

how to pull someone's earrigs for god's sake .. its  horrible !...

eek it's horrible that they got your passport T_T why did you have it with you? i got mugged once but i was completely to blame - walked down a road near street 51 by myself whilst talking on my phone..

why is it to blame if ure walking alone talking on the phone ?..i dont see anything unusual with that ..
i was walking alone too.. at lunch time .. i walk alone every single day ..lol.. does that make me a sure victim or what ?.. should not anyway

meant to say at night time

ooh.. ok ok

it sucked but definitely not as bad as your case. i was lucky that i had left my bag inside a club whilst i talked on the phone because that was literally all i had on me. no money, just my phone.

not sure if i'm just being naive but i would never expect to be mugged in daylight. was anyone else around? my khmer friend said as soon as you shout jo..u.... idk how to spell it but thief in khmer everyone will help you.

Because a thief will most probably focus on a expat. They assume your a tourist, are leaving soon so your not going to stay in the country. Waiting for the police to catch the thief, and prosecute.

mugger sounds like from vietnam, as in saigon typical mugger  behaves like what you described.str,430 lots of vietnamese out of jobs looking for jobs, stay there

Sorry to hear that - lunch time further more! :( Good luck, and hope everything turns out right in the end.

inshaaAllah

i'm trying to track down my phone with imei number but seems like in cambodia finding a needle in a field of rice would be much easier ..network providers use imei to store phones in order .. gosh !!

Well if it had a sim card, they usually throw it away and replace it. Now if you had an iphone or android theft app. they email you the new number of the sim. So it easy to entrap them as wanting to be a text mate.

Actually the most important are the documents like passports, bank account papers and such things which might take you some time to get a new ones.

Yes, in most countries you can leave your passport in a safe place and walk around with a clear photocopy. Any issues, just say lets go to my place if you must see the original/

yeah so in case u guys were wondering , the police.. oh wait.. THE PHNOM PENH MUNICIPAL POLICE OFFICE OF CENTRAL SECURITY FOREIGNERS RELATION AGENCY ,[color=#EE109A][/color]very politely said "could u help the police with some money to help you , we support ourselves from what foreigners are giving us ? ".. dunno abt how anybody else is keeping their temper nice and low but i literally felt like slapping the smiling man!.. makes me think thats why there is no visa hassle.. just come here and give us all your money ... unbelievable ...
there were 2 girls in the office too , they had their camera stolen , after completing the file report they got the same line "help the police with some money ".. but u see , they arnt doing anything beside filling in the report, for a second time as the initial report ( which is actually sufficient for the embassy declaration)was already filled by the local police of the district .., just ask for money the moment u step in their office. instead of coming up with any suggestions they asked me  how will u get a new passport .. okay thats  very crappy ! .. i feel like a bait .the cambodians are rubbing us , we go to the police and the police says welcome , can u give us some of the money too ?..i start wondering what the crap am i doing in this jungle ! i must be insane !!

the network company didnt do anything either .. had to push them and push them to tell them about satellite and all that to change their words from please take an order number to sorry máam we cannot track cz its registered with another company ... but then again i/m not that knowledgeable to know all the details about the procedure

bottom line.. u can die in the street nobody is gonna help u until they rob u first

I totally understand your frustration, but remembering where you are might help you getting over this situation.

The police guys who are begging you for money to help you, they have no funds or resources to apply law or check after thieves; they are a kind of public employees who get involved in very rare situations like local people fighting together or something similar.

Corruption in such countries is same like corruption elsewhere in the world, resulting in people missing their own rights because the power of law is missing or only applied on the poor people.

Sorry for all that, but what I wanted to say is that, what has happened, has happened!!! Its a lesson learned for you to take extra caution and practice some sound personal security awareness while living there to avoid such situations in the future.

You must focus on getting your new passport at the earliest as this will take you some time, and will take longer if your home country does not have an embassy or consulate in Cambodia. Once you get the new passport, never carry it with you and just keep a copy of it as was said by "phnom penh bound" in her previous post.

Keep us posted on the progress of your paper work, cheer up and keep going and always remember “No matter what your dream in life, no matter what your goal, keep your eye upon the doughnut and not upon the hole.”  Always look at the bright side of life; its all about lessons learned and life experience; and all will be memories after some time ;)

Cheers,

FYI lol, Phnom Penh Bound is a HE

Wow I want to remind all expats, that we are all "GUESTS IN THEIR COUNTRY". Rule number 1, "Don't mess with the locals" Here are 2 cases I know of that expats were deported for small issues!

1. An expat and his Filipina wife were at a government ceremony. When they played the Philippines national anthem, neither of them stood up. The expat might have thought, " I'm not a citizen of this country, so why should I".

2. Expat has a website and used a government city logo on it.

So I think that calling the police vulgar names is a no no in my humble opinion. Any local can report you and your photo is posted. I'm sure they can find you if need be. I would edit or delete the post ASAP, if I were you.

phnom penh bound wrote:

FYI lol, Phnom Penh Bound is a HE

Ooooops ... Apologize for that :), Try to change your profile picture for a male one as its misleading :D;)

if u were me .. but yeah you are not me. right?.. this is my opinion, and yeah i did have a previous experience with police too when they took the side of a local when i was the victim so no need to tell me . thnx for your concern.. i really do not want to fear the police too.. locals are enough for me .

u wanna remind all expats that we are GUESTS .. thats not the way u treat a guest rubbing them on the street ok,and then asking for money to help them out. .is that how u treat a guest in your own home?.. what i did something wrong to anybody or what ? have i no right to feel frustrated when im left with nothing and got no money to pay my rent now or what exactly are you trying to suggest me phnom penh bound ?..

vido dido.. thank you. i appreciate the kind words.

Ah, if we all lived in a perfect world. I will make it a point not to replies to your posts anymore. Wish you luck !

its not a matter of replying or not to my posts .. it is a matter of the fact that i truly am frustrated and in a critical situation at the moment and you are telling me --> wow , reminder : we are guests,watch your language ..thats not really helpful in any way u know .. obviously nobody likes to be insulted but then again nobody wants to go to ask for help and be kicked for it .. we are guests but u see , we dont do any harm here , the majority of foreigners are not here to slave people. they are here to offer help, to teach and volunteer for the better future of their children , to save them from the black market and brighten their lives .. how can u rob them?.. is it not enough that life is already expensive for a foreigner ?..no need to add extra worries rite?.. i am a single lady living here with no family and no friends, i pay rent and every  single  dollar is  thought of, i dont  throw money for fun , i dont drink dont go to parties don't drive a car dont even own a bicycle and u are saying  we are guests we should not say anything bad ... sorry but thats just not right.

Just like vido dido had said, don't get too upset over it - it will all pass. Once again, I sincerely wish you all the best with this issue.

thank you

anyway, your insurance companies will compensate you hefty sums in the end with all your reports and reicepts. plus VISA card rescue cash, and your embassy will offer you rescue emergency cash as well.did you meet your ambassador in PP already?if no romania embassy aailable in PP,EU embassy near monument will help you .

Delegation of the European Union to Cambodia
Government
No. 100A, Preah Norodom (St. 41), 12207 Phnom Penh
Tel  023 216 996
Tel  023 220 611
Tel  023 220 612
Tel  023 211 102
Fax  023 216 997
Website eeas.europe.eu/delegations/cambodia

i do not pay insurance companies , the embassy does not offer cash and there is no rescue cash for the visa .
thnx though.

That's unfortunate and I hope things work out for you.  Just glad that you didn't get physically harmed.  I can understand your frustration as well with getting help.

Sorry to hear about that. Wish you all the best.

My relative too had met snatch thief in broad day light near monivong after caltex station. This incident surprise me as there were usually policeman station at the traffic junction. Infact I was stopped by the policeman a day ago.

I agree with Phnom Penh, he has sound advice. When self rightous emotions arise from the moment maybe it would be a good time to step back and gather oneself.

what do you mean?

and how come your ONLY post is on my topic ..? lol.. are you a real person? 0_O

what it is, is what it is.  the only question is, will you turn adversity into advantage?  Will you profit from this event, or will you need another lesson?

i already got my lesson from it.  when i go there i will have NOTHING that can be snatched!  if they want something from me they will not bypass the fistfight that will happen, first!  but the way i get it, they don't do business like that?

i will carry nothing i can not afford to lose.  i don't know if it is required to have a passport to show?  if so, i will make a photocopy, complete with visa stamp, and carry that. 

i will find somewhere - i don't know where just yet, but somewhere to lock my passport and my id up.  i will carry chump change in my pockets and my money will be in an ace bandage, securely wrapped around my leg just above my knee...

you knew better.  you lost.  blame yourself, then modify your behavior.  the snatcher probably had kids to feed...  and was sick and tired of watching rich foreigners strut up and down the streets of HIS country.  i do NOT agree with and/or condone his choices or his actions but, to be honest, i can relate...

you can consider this "tough love."  - as something which, unlike sympathy, has some value.

yeah.. poverty takes over ones mind first .dunno what to change in my behavior.. i'm not comfortable to live in fear.it happened. tnx god it doesnt happen everyday ..

as i said, have nothing to snatch.  don't carry a purse and, if you do, for sure don't put everything you own in it!

REMOVE THE OPPORTUNITY and "it" will never happen, again :)

oooh.. yeah. that true. ya. agreed