Newcomers FAQs

As an almost newcomer (will move to Brussels in less than 3 weeks), I would like to get some additional information which might be useful for other expats as well:

-    Is there any difference in which bank I will open a b.account? I mean any benefits or issues that I can faced later on because of choosing one particular bank (like little number of bancomats etc.)
-    Which GSM operators are there? I would be interested to get a prepaid card I believe since it's easier to manage and (maybe) cheaper. Where can I purchace it?

Would appreciate your help! :)

Atene

All ATMs are open for cardholders of any bank, so no difference in that respect. Now with online banking there is really no need to have an agency nearby unless you need to deposit cash, change foreign currency, etc. on a regular basis. Yet, it is better to have at least one agency somewhere in the city to arrange bank guarantee for renting your flat (very common in Belgium). Bank accounts can cost anything from 0 to 70-80 euros per year. Most expensive accounts include free credit cards and free replacement of damaged/lost cards and online banking security devices (devices that generate a code for using online banking).

As far as credit cards, again there are ways to get them for free in other banks or through retailers. For replacement of debit cards/security devices, no alternatives you are locked-in, so consider the costs, usually 15/20 euros per card/device depending on the bank. Some well-known banks offering free accounts: ING, Argenta, and Keytrade Bank. Looking at number of agencies and quality of service, ING would be the best option, they are also quite familiar with xpats.

For pre-paid phone services, the three main operators (from the most expensive to the cheapest) are proximus, mobistar and base. There are also alternative carriers, cheaper but with some restrictions about roaming services (sim cards are sold in supermarkets and small phone shops).

David, thank you very much for your reply! Since I'm interested only to open an account and get a simple debit card + (probably) Internet banking option, I will double check the list of the banks which you have provided.

One more question regarding pre-paid phone cards: since I will be able to purchase it in the supermarket, how do I recharge it? Still in supermarkets or maybe there is a possibility to do it online?

Mind that internet banking is mandatory for free accounts. You cannot make bank transfers at the bank agency or, if you do, you have to pay a fee.

For the three main mobile carriers, you get the sim card at dedicated shops (list of shops in the operator's website, several addresses in all commercial streets of the city) not at supermarkets. The recharge can be bought  at supermarkets, operator's website or even ATMs (all options explained in English in the operator's website). Only sim cards from alternative operators can be bought at certain supermarkets (e.g. Carrefour sells its own SIM cards), if you are interested by these alternative operators, google these words lycamobile viking mobile.

David, thank you once again! I think I will choose BNP Paribas as my friends have recommended it and I know at least the brand.
And will probably go for BASE as GSM for the begining.

Yes, BNP is a reliable bank but they don't offer free accounts. Bear in mind that depending on your account type you have to pay for using ATMs. It is one of the most expensive banks.

Well, as far as I see on bnp Scale of charges of 24/10/2012, account opening is free of charge, only handling charges are applied.
Could you please precise what do you mean by ATMs?

Base has been very good to me...if you get your GSM from the actual store, you can "register" it for free..and if you lose your phone or something, they'll give you another SIM with the same number for €10.  So far I'm impressed with their service, and I do prepaid, and text and call to Canada and other places.  Calling gets expensive and I recommend a calling card.

Also when you recharge online, with no details, you still get free bonuses within belgium, like texts and extra local calling etc....€15 = 100 min free calling and 30 free texts or something.

I need a bank..need to read more of this post to get an idea, haven't picked one yet.

I have mobi star 15 euros credit unlimitted txts my credit for calls and then 10mb of net plus free fb twitter acress

Thank you, guys!
MonkeyinEurope, could you please give me at least one address where I could find an official store of Base? I was not able to find the list on their web site, probably I'm blind :D

ATMs charges means paying for getting cash at automatic machines.  BNP has different types of accounts, and the cheapest ones have hidden charges ...  an account could cost as much as 30 eur or even more per year after adding all the additional fees. All depends of course on the type of services you will use. Sorry, I don't know the details, you need to ask/find the fees. All banks have a list of fees published online, you can also ask for it at  the bank agency.

If you don't find the list of base shops, just go to any of these metro stations: merode, rogier, porte de namur. You will find a base shop right outside the station or very near (within 100m).

Take my advice and stay away from Proximus/Belgacom =)

hey any guys or gals from Sony Products & Service center, Brussells. Belgium
if any one of you is working or associated with any Sony employees, i would like to know about the salary package in Sony Belgium for any Indian ... one of my friend is saying that his salary will be about € 4800 ... is this true or he is just faking it

Is it possible to use a Canadian iPhone in Belgium with a different SIM card - ie an international one? How would this work, and where would you get the SIM from? Also, how to people get data on their phones in Belgium? We will be living in Brussels for 6 months and looking for the cheapest way to have cellphone and internet.  Many thanks in advance for your help!!

Hello Jody2014,

Yes, you can use a Canadian or US purchased iPhone in Belgium (or anywhere in Europe) with a local SIM card, but it must be an unlocked phone.

Read this article for more information

Cheers,
James      Expat-blog Experts Team

So helpful - thanks very much for the information!!!! We will definitely use this option.