Housing, where?

so have been reading on here and checking out 1-2 bedroom rent listings in beijing, the problem is i have no clue where all the areas are, and beijing is HUGE!

anyway, can anyone tell me what the area around GuanYuan Park, the cross streets are Ping'anli W street & Zhaodengyu Rd., is usually referred to?  On google map area is between metro lines 2&4 & it is to the northwest of the forbidden palace.

the area is where i might be working so ideally i would like to find a place where i can get to work by walking or a short bike ride.  of course i can't really tell what the area is like.  perhaps it is strictly a commercial zone.

if that was the case where should i look to find a place to keep my commute to work, one way via the metro or bus, under 30mins?

I don't mind living amongst the locals, nor in an expat community but certainty not here beijing riviera.

Niro hi,

this link should help you find it on the map http://events.jongo.com/yp/largemap.do? … &pid=41596

Not normally considered a hive of expat residents. (ie not a good option)

You might feel better living somewhere else and commuting to work (taxi, or subway).

Also need to consider if you are coming by yourself, with spouse or plus herd of kids that have schooling needs.

No need to answer these questions on an open forum but do you have an expat package or are you paying out of your own pocket and want something that is cost effective.

How basic are you prepared to go?

No, I am not an Estate Agent.

FYI - assuming that your budget is over say 5,000RMB and is a one year contract the agents should not be charging you anything for their services. They are paid by the landlord. Less than that you MIGHT have to pay 50% of one month's rent.

hey manlin,
thanks for the response.

when you say "not a good option" is it because area is expensive or simply not a hub of expat community?

i have a 3-4 grade level in speaking chinese so I am comfortable not being surrounded by expats.  also, is it true that expat communities are usually more expensive?

i am coming by myself, for now, so the living requirement is fairly simple.  With that being said, the place should be safe, perhaps a building with door man.  my budget is around $1000US/mo (or 7000rmb)

housing is not part of my package, so i am trying to get an idea what my living expenses maybe.

not to open up another can of worm, but if everything work out as planned, i'd like to explore opportunities in purchasing an apt. in beijing after the first year.  assuming 1 year will be enough time to explore the city and find a decent area to buy instead of paying rent. 

think this is realistic?

7,000RMB is doable especially for a single person depending a little bit on your cooking habits. (a) Chinese kitchens are normally small with the fridge in the living room (b) Chinese kitchens do not have ovens, that to say you will be cooking on a gas stove using a wok or saucepan or using a microwave.

I do not know that area well enough to recommend a specific property. My comment was in reference to the lack of expat friendly facilities / shops.

Most buildings have some sort of security / doorman.

One year to learn the city and decide where you want to buy should be ample, assuming that you go and explore the city and do not wait for the city to come to you.

no oven?!  how they make cookies?
yes i heard about that and baking is just not part of chinese cooking.

how does laundry work?  i assume they do not have dryers...too much energy consumption.  coin laundry?

i also notice a lot of the apartments are furnished and include heat, satellite TV & internet with the rent.

manlin, what are some of the areas you recommend?

Coin Laundries (or Laundramats) do not exist in Beijing or if they do I have never seen one.  Most (all ?)apartments will come with a washing machine. Some of the more Chinesey apartments this will be a simple machine that works only on cold water, the better apartments will include one that washes with hot water. All will have a tumble dryer function, the better will include a drying function in the same machine, the even better will provide both a washing machine and a dryer (but not I think at your budget).

Clothes are normally air dried, which can take for ever in the winter or on a humid day.

The good news that there are lots of laundries. Prices depend on the part of town, I do not live in an expat area and my local laundry will iron trousers / shirts for 2RMB each.

Unfurnished apartments for rent are not common in Beijing
The standard is furnished and a number of serviced apartments are also available.  A furnished apartment will include the "domestic hardware" (appliances) but will not include the "domestic software" (bedding, towels, pots, pans, utensils etc).

TV yes - available channels depends on budget. Standard - no foreign channels, bit better basic satellite will include CNN, HBO, Discovery and ESPN, high end will (normally) include  quite a few foreign channels via (I think) a Philippine Dream link. If you are coming from the US and are TV addicted check Slingbox as an option.

thanks for all the info manlin.

man this place is dead...

Dead no, slow yes

Not dead..I'm here lurking and reading this info..helpful!!  Thank you!!

We found out we will be coming to Beijing late March, early April...
still don't know where we want to live...but we found out his work has a bus he can ride from any end of line subway...so that helps us alot...he will have a long commute no matter what, being that his work is out a ways...we would rather be where other expats are..shopping, and such...

Julie

If not too confidential give me some idea of where he will be working, whether need to consider schooling for kids, and maybe I can make some suggestions.

His work is out between 5th and 6th Ring roads...so way out...
No kids to worry about for schools and such..just my husband and I.
We're oldies but goodies...so not into the bar/nightclub stuff.  we like sight seeing, museums and music.
We aren't sure what our budget for rent is yet...but his work has some deal for paying part of it..we just don't know the details....but..we have time yet!!

Julie

Jooolie hi,

Between the 5th and 6th Ring Roads is a huge area and does really help me to provide answers to your question. Since by definition a ring road is circular (well more or less) in shape it could be in any of the 360 degrees of the compass.

However, having said that, let me make the following points.

1) Housing rental options and prices in range from a couple of hundred USD to over 10,000USD/month depending upon location and quality.

2) The area you describe includes a section called Shunyi which includes many Villa Gated Communities whose prices range from about 3,000USD per month to sky is the limit. This is in the north east section between 5th and 6th and, as you can imagine from the prices, is Expat heavy.  This page might be of interest www. china-expert.org/Beijing-Housing-Solutions-

3) Alternatively, if this is not budget compatible and if you want to be with other foreigners then there are some okay to luxurious apartments between 3rd and 5th Ring Roads (basically East Section). Luxury Apartments can be just as expensive ad the Villas but some more basic ones can be as cheap as a few thousand RMB. This of course depends on location, quality, size and the compounds on site facilities and amenities.

As a sweeping generalisation it can be said that most of the foreigners tend to live either in the East / North-East sides of town.

Thanx for the info!!

Sorry..thought I put where..he will work in the Haidian area.  That sounds like its alot of students and universities in that area...prolly too wild for us old folk..LOL

As I said, I don't know what our budget is yet..but..we don't typically like to spend a huge amount on housing..we like to use our money for the fun things!!  We require some place safe and clean with atleast the basics covered....laundry, cooking appliances...a western toilet!!  thats a must!! LOL

Thanx again for your help!!

Julie

Hmmm, Haidian. Yup a lot of students but also a Hi-Tech area with quite a few international companies. Some of whose staff stay at places like the Somerset Zhonguancun whilst others commute from further afield (Lido, Lufthansa and Chaoyang Park areas).

Note the Somerset Zhongguancun provides Serviced Accommodation - bit like a hotel ie includes bedding, towels, cooking & eating untensils and even housekkeping.