Exporting goods from Vietnam?

Hi I was wondering if anyone could tell me what I would need to do to legally export goods from Vietnam? It would be on a relatively small scale but I am unsure of whether or not I would need a work permit or set up a business in Vietnam. Any information would be appreciated

You are asking two different questions.

1. Customs: there are relatively few restrictions on exports - a form will need completing - but without a proper registration you won't be able to score tax rebates / advantages.

2. The are special Work Permit waivers for self-owned businesses (except in Nha Trang according to J3luy whatever) but that has to be balanced against the paperwork needed to set up a business or to employ people.

I have a small electronics assembly operation where I use home-based help and pay them cash on a piecework basis which is most likely the best way to go for you. No taxes, no muss, no fuss.

I've just imported a table-top CNC machine and that, too, is at a woman's house busy whacking out piece parts against contracts. I pay for her electricity use in addition to the piece rate.

I also arrange / do pick-ups - isolating one part of the operation from another - so I can QC the parts en route.

The greater majority of small manufacturing in TP HCM is done on a cash basis so you wouldn't be a pioneer in tax avoidance. EVN-HCMC even does it's part, paying cash for goods knowing there is no tax on the invoice.

You need an export license depending on what goods you are shipping out. Usually you can work with a logistics company and they can help you and/or your company apply for such license.

Thank you both for your response. My plan was to just pay for each individual order in cash from a supplier and then export it to the UK where my business partner from home would then deal with it and any profits would be made in the UK, i would merely be provided the cash for the initial purchase in vietnam. I am not sure if this type of simple operation exempts me from certain tax rules or not

hod5on wrote:

Thank you both for your response. My plan was to just pay for each individual order in cash from a supplier and then export it to the UK where my business partner from home would then deal with it and any profits would be made in the UK, i would merely be provided the cash for the initial purchase in vietnam. I am not sure if this type of simple operation exempts me from certain tax rules or not

If that's the case, the supplier can simply export it out to you as long as the supplier has the export license to do so.

hod5on wrote:

My plan was to just pay for each individual order in cash from a supplier and then export it to the UK where my business partner from home would then deal with it and any profits would be made in the UK, i would merely be provided the cash for the initial purchase in vietnam.

You can easily do this alone, unless your items are covered by the few regulations that stipulate controlled exports.

You have never mentioned what sort of 'good' (quaint Customs expression) you are talking about.

I have exported printed circuit board assemblies, as well as mechanical piece parts. You usually get hassles when it comes to cultural objects. VN doesn't care about religious objects and countries such as Thailand are stiff on them.

Why does this matter? Because VN international mail goes via other countries and not direct - check Postal Union routings. They often X-ray shipments, especially HongKong.

If there are Customs restrictions, as the other poster suggested, get the supplier to ship. Always get a minimal insurance value, it means they get tracked better. The parcels postal counter s on the rear end of the Main Post Office at the corner of Ha Bai Trung and Nguyen Du. They can for a price, supply shipping materials.

You will have to complete a Customs Declaration, which you should reduce the value of the goods - especially for the UK.

ANOTHER reason to use a supplier to ship is if the VAT is over VND100,000 - they will reclaim a rebate (which you should ask for).

i have ever worked in import - export staff. in your case i think you can export by non-murchant and you have to still pay all the taxs of goods.the customs document in Vietnam very complicated so if you have not ever done this before, you need ask someone that know clearly about this or a logistic agent. if you need any help you can contact me by follow this email : [email protected].

Thanks again for your replies. The goods we wish to import are items of clothing. My business partner owns a clothing alterations business in the UK and we wish to import tailor made clothes (shirts, suits etc) from Vietnam and then do any final alterations in the UK if they do not already fit perfectly. I hope to build a good relationship with a supplier in Vietnam. It looks as though there are many advantages of getting the supplier to post the goods so I will look to pursue that option. Now that I have provided more detail regarding the goods we intend to import, do you think that this can be done by simply placing the order with the supplier, allowing them to post the goods and therefore not be in a position to take responsibility for any legalities regarding exporting from Vietnam?

No, that just means you don't have to do export procedures. However, you will be responsible for the legalities regarding exporting from Vietnam, because the export papers need the buyer's info (your name) on it. But don't worry because your goods is not a contraband or prohibited product for export. BTW, please check whether you need obtain an import permit for your order to pass the customs in your country. You can get this info from your suppliers or their transportation agencies.

Hi !!

Thanks again for your replies. The goods we wish to import are items of clothing. My business partner owns a clothing alterations business in the UK and we wish to import tailor made clothes (shirts, suits etc) from Vietnam and then do any final alterations in the UK if they do not already fit perfectly. I hope to build a good relationship with a supplier in Vietnam. It looks as though there are many advantages of getting the supplier to post the goods so I will look to pursue that option. Now that I have provided more detail regarding the goods we intend to import, do you think that this can be done by simply placing the order with the supplier, allowing them to post the goods and therefore not be in a position to take responsibility for any legalities regarding exporting from Vietnam?

It i not complicated as you think. I work in that field. I can support you guys.

You can contact me: [email protected] or my cell phone: 0908976085

best regards,

Ngoc them

Clothing, little more less high, and complicated, than clothing!

There might be another reason for mailing (by yourself) is that the EU has quota's for VN (you can check with the EU 'Embassy' in Ha Noi). Recently quota limits have been invoked for shoes (ironic since big footed Foreigners have a hard time finding shoes here).

You should ask the EU office if there is quota space for your imports as well as the trade official in the TP HCM consulate (who doesn't work too hard).

As for VN Customs, not a problem.