Cuenca Symphony

Does anyone know anything about the Symphony ORchestra in town? My husband and I are professional musicians (bass and cello)and will visiting Ecuador this summer. We would like to meet some of the Cuenca Symphony folks. thanks in advance. Gerry

Hello,

The Cuenca Symphony is a good orchestra and plays many free concerts in the city and the province.  Many musicians from other countries are invited to play with them.

They have a page in Facebook: Orquesta Sinfonica de Cuenca and the webpage is: www.sinfonicacuenca.gob.ec

There is also an active youth orchestra in Cuenca.

Thanks so much for your quick replies. I am also a conductor and Orchestra teacher, so the Youth Symphony component is especially nice to hear about. I'll check out the websites you mentioned. We are flying in from either San Fran or LA - which city would you suggest we fly into? (Cuenca, Quito or Guayquil?
We have about 4 weeks to explore Ecuador. I also want to do a Spanish immersion for a week or two and will probably do that first thing in the city we fly into. If you can recommend any programs feel free to share your information and thoughts.
Our goal is to explore, look at some farmland (2-5 acres), check out the Symphonies in Quito and Cuenca and learn Spanish.
Thanks for your help...Gerry up in Oregon

If you're planning to vist the country I think is better to get to Quito first and then move down to Cuenca.
To do that you can use the local bus transportation, rent a car
(usually no automatic cars) or hire a driver with car.

Vinny

Great. We have a friend in Quito so that could work out nicely. I wasn't sure if we would need time to adjust to the altitude in Quito. I drive a stick so a non-automatic will be no problem. I would like to drive so we can stop and look around at our leisure. Is there a low-cost car rental that you could recommend? the Lonely Planet has some recommendations for Spanish classes that I will follow up on as well. Thanks, Vinny for your help. Gerry

Hey Gerry,
Sadly, our Orchestra is on strike here in Minneapolis, I think St. Paul soon to follow, later this week.
I'll tell you what though, Cuenca is the city for you as a musician. You can't turn around with out running into some type of performance. Much of it free, and right in the streets!
As  long as you have a friend to crash with in Quito, cool. But this Spring, I'm going to fly into Quayaquil. The reason being, the flights into Cuenca arrive so late, you can't get a connecting flight into Cuenca. So, you have to have a place to stay over night. Then, the flight into Cuenca is in the $80.00 range. BUT.... if you fly into Quayaquil, you can take a van service in the $ 20.00 range the day you arrive, and avoid the cost of a room. So, you save on transport, and lodging.
Which ever route you folks decide on, I'm sure you will absolutely love your experience.
Stay Well,
Neil

PS. this is not the U.S., there is no such thing as " cheap " rental cars in Ecuador. You're better off hiring a driver or van service. ( of course busses are also an option from Quito to Cuenca )

Hey Neil: What do you play? We used to live in Sioux Falls SD. Dave my sweetie plays bass and used to teach at Augustana college (in SFalls) and was principal Bass there till we moved to Chicago. In Chicago we both gigged and I went to the Violinmaking school there so I have that trade as well.

We used to make it up to Minneapolis a bunch 'cause Dave took lessons with Eldon Olbrecht (Bass)for years.
Now we are in southern Oregon. I am teaching Orchestra and Dave is gigging a lot. We don't miss the snow or humid summers but miss our Midwest friends.

Thanks for the tip on Flying into Cuenca. I believe I read that in the Lonely Planet too. Vinny suggested we fly into Quito.

Do you know any of the Cuenca or Quito musicians? Maybe we could make a connection via you?
Thanks for the tips and good luck settling your contract - making music is way more fun, eh?
Gerry

Oops.... sorry I gave you the wrong impression. I don't play with the orchestra here. I'm NOT a musician. I used to play drums in a rock n' roll band I still have a set of Ludwigs in the basement, and play recreationally for myself. I haven't jammed with anyone in years. I'm not surpried your husband came here in his career. Most folks don't know how much music comes out of Minneapolis.  I think old drummers never really give em' up. I'm really  looking to buy a set of Conga's in Cuenca.
Take Care
Neil

Oh my! and LOL! I did have that thought last night that maybe I assumed a lot about you being a musician. Do you have any contacts in Cuenca we could tap into? thanks, Gerry

Nope,
sorry Gerry I don't. I'm sure you'll have no problem hooking up with plenty of musicians nce you get in country.
Stay Well
Neil

Along these lines, does anyone know if there are any established amateur community orchestras  that one might join in Cuenca?

We would like to stay a couple moths in Cuenca during summer to scout out the city and moving possibilities. I have a teenage son who is practicing cello very intensely and usually (if driving) we take his cello on vacation.
I wonder if we could rent a full size cello in Cuenca, which is more appealing to me than bringing his cello from States.

We're also visiting this summer. I am a cellist too. I heard there is a Youth Symphony there so perhaps a place to rent an instrument. I also discovered a luthier around Quito that I hope to visit during our time in Ecuador.

Thank you, I'll search for contact to reach the Youth Orchestra.