Moving to rome with a dog

hello expats! i'm hoping you can provide me with some much needed guidance and insight...i just got laid off from my job here in the u.s. (boston area) and considering getting certified to teach english in rome...however, i can not leave behind my best pal, ted (a 100 lb yellow-lab)...how difficult/expensive is it to find an apartment in (or in the suburbs) of rome?? what are the best websites (or other resources) for locating any such available apartments??...i will be in rome over new year's - are there any offices/people i should contact while i'm there who could help me out??
thank you in advance for any and all information you can provide!!

luann (and ted :))

I am interested too. I have a dog ( 21 pound, housebroken), and am having difficulties finding rental sources. Thank you!

Hello, I am Charity (of the Rome Report) and I moved to Rome about a year ago. I brought my dog, an 80-pound Golden Retriever, from the states. It wasn't hard to find an apartment to accept dogs. And there are actually quite a lot of dogs in the city and the majority of Roman landlords didn't bat an eye when we asked about it.

We looked at lots of apartments from these sources:
Wanted In Rome
Yahoo VCN (an ex-pat group you subscribe to)
At Home (a relocation service, specializing in Ex Pats)
Romeproperty.com

And a couple of agents who we met just by clicking on links and making appointments (let me know if you need more help finding someone to show you places).

There were a couple of things that I didn't really expect though: 1. Many buildings don't have elevators. Or if they do, they are very small. Your dog will probably fit, but just something to consider: you may be walking up and down stairs a lot as you go to take him/her out.

2. Most of the dogs in Rome are not neutered, therefore they're aggressive. (Let's not debate this - if you disagree, please just disregard.) Mine is a male but he is fixed. He still gets in a lot of near-scuffles though.

3. There is not the selection of dog food here that you find in the states, especially in the center. I've seen Iams, Purina and Friskies. Carter, my dog, used to eat Wellness food but it's not possible to get here. We eventually settled on Purina. 

Last, this is a good and bad one, there aren't leash laws in the parks so your little guy can run free. Just use caution because so can the others.

We're glad that we have Carter here but just wanted to give you the info so you're prepared!

(Also, the flight over was extremely rough on him - hopefully your dog will fare better.)

Best to you and keep me posted.

Charity

www.romereport.wordpress.com

Hi Charity,

Thanks for the useful information.  I am expecting to move from Kenya to Rome in the next month, and will definitely be going with my two 'biggish' dogs.  Do you or anyone else happen to know what kind of certification/vet issues there are going into Italy with dogs??  Do they have to be quarantined or anyting like that??  Of course my dogs are fully vaccinated, etc., but am wondering if there are any other special health issues. 

Also, how did you travel with your dogs??  I've never done this before, and am wondering how the airlines handles dogs....

Many thanks for any insight!

NikoNick

To travel on the plane with your dogs is a bit of an ordeal but here's what you typically need. The best thing to do is call the airline AND read online so you're sure to verify everything. But our experience from Seattle to Rome included:

- Vet's written OK that dog is healthy, usually required within 10 days of departure
- Up to date vaccination records
- FAA approved kennel (put a big blanket or pillow + food and for water it's best to fill the water dish and freeze it the night before so it thaws out and doesn't spill as much in the air)
- Our dog has the relocation chip implanted, so we have that info/registration as well
- You have to call ahead to make a reservation for the dog to fly on the plane (only so many can fly on each flight) but you buy the ticket AT THE COUNTER and it's a one-way ticket

Italy does not have quarantine. Actually no one asked us anything when we brought him over. Nothing at the Rome airport but you should have the vet's notice + vaccination records handy.

To be honest, I'm actually not sure it was the best decision for us. From the US (west coast) it was a long trip with a one-hour layover in NY. Not enough time to let him out so by the time he arrived in Rome (15 hours), he was in bad shape. SUPER dehydrated, wobbly, shaky. Was pretty awful actually.  I felt terrible for bringing him. SO, my advice is this: if your flight is more than 8 hours, schedule a layover on purpose. Let the dog out. Go back the next day (or so).

We're considering bringing him back to the US in the spring. He's almost 9 and I'm worried about trying to fly him home when our contract here is up - another 3 years. That'll be very old for a Golden. If we do, I'll stop in New York for a few days then continue to Seattle.

Rome is also much hotter in the summer than I expected (near 100 for the month of August) and again, I worry about his health and comfort.

So think very carefully about whether it makes sense for the dog to come to Rome. It's a busy city and wasn't at all what I thought it would be for Carter (our dog). I love him to pieces and because of that, do regret putting him through all of this.

Anyway, I know two other families who brought smaller, younger dogs and they're doing fine. Don't worry, just think carefully about your situation and your dog.

Good luck!

Hi Charity,

Wow, thanks for all the useful info.  Like you, I am concerned about how my dogs would do both in flight and living in a crowded city, but being apart from them is not an option either.  Just gotta make it a best for them as I can.

Many thanks, Nick

I see a number of people have brought their dog over but I would like to mention a couple of things if you are thinking of moving to Rome.
One is that unless you are wealthy you will be living in a flat (apartment)and you will not have a garden (yard).  The only person I ever knew in Rome who lived in a villa was an American accountant who was living in an American compound and I think his expenses were met by his company.
The other is that if you are going to be out much you will find that it's the norm to close all your shutters completely.  So unless you can take your dog with you he will be left alone in a room with no natural light.
I wanted to get a cat but decided it would be cruel.

thank you all for your insight!  i'm glad to hear that finding a place in rome with a dog isn't a big problem, but i have been deeply concerned about how my lab would handle the flight over (my heart was breaking, charity, when you were describing your golden after the flight )...any thoughts on sedation?? as it turns out, i'm having a helluva time trying to find a job in rome anway :(...

Rome is a very dog friendly city, you should have no problems.

Hello,

I will be moving to Rome with my two yellow labs.  I will be living between Villa Borghese and Parco di Traiano.  Can you tell me if it is allowed to walk your dogs in these parks?  Are there other good parks in Rome for walking dogs?  Thanks for your help.

As far as i know there are no restrictions for parks, i don't have a dog but i'm italian :). Just come over and find your favourite places you don't really have to worry about it! :)

hello, I dont live far from Villa Borghese,and I also have a small dog. From what I've seen in walking/riding past villa borghese dogs are allowed in the park. However, not too far from Villa Borghese, off of Via Nomentana there is a park called Villa Torlonia where I take my dog and let him run around a little. Its a nice little walk for us both

Good luck!