Advice Reqd. Urgent

Hi All,

I had few queries regarding the residence permit for mauritius. My situation is as follows
1. I am married to a Mauritian citizen in UK. We already have appostille the marriage certificate and have all the rest of the document ready except the morality which will be issued soon.

2. I have been offered a job in mauritius and is gonna start soon.

3. On my arrival to Mauritius they have issued me 21 days visa and told me that I am not allowed to work till i get residence permit? Is that true? bcoz as I am married to a mauritian citizen and want to stay with her. According to section 5 of immigration act I am not entitled for any visa as I automatically fall as a resident.

4. Can I start work and then as my morality certficate comes in then apply for residence permit. As the emplyment office says that I am allowed to work without work permit but the immigration officer said no.

Can you all please advice on this issue of mine at your earliest.

Thanks a lot

Hey plz check out this govt page.

http://www.gov.mu/portal/site/empmentsi … f20c521ca/

Spouses of mauritian citizens don't need work permit.

I hope this can help u a bit.

Regards

Thanks for your reply. But can I start the work before I apply for Residence Permit?

Hey hello.

Sorry for late reply.

When are supposed to get ur morality certificate? Is it due for long?

Why don't u wait for it and then apply for your residence permit?
Meanwhile I think u will be granted a temporary residence permit.

You start ur job then.

Please do check it out with the authorities if u can get a temporary residence permit after submission of all documents required.

Regards

As a spouse of a Mauritian citizen you are definitely allowed to work without having your permanent residence yet. I had visa for two months, but my permanent residence application took almost a year. And I also cannot remember any paper issued that I applied for permanent residence, but maybe I just forgot about it. It's almost 10 years ago.

Cheers

you don't need your residence to work if you are married to a mauritian. i got married almost 4 years ago and i still don't have it (took forever to apply for it, long story). anyway, i was working. i also get in and out of the country with no visa (normally i would need one if i was not married).