Anyone know about civil union in Brazil??

Hi, I am Canadian and my boyfriend is Brazilian. We are very interested in getting hitched in this "common law" type civil union... does anyone know if I'll need my birth certificate? Also, do the officials require you to be together for a certain period of time before applying for civil union??
Any advice or websites to refer to will be much appreciated,
Tchau!

hi! i am doing the same thing. but im from seattle. you fill out all the paperwork and attend the meetings once you are in Brazil, but you DO need to send you original birth certificate to the nearest Brazilian Consulate General to get it translated and approved. that is all you need to really do while you are still in Canada. and also, i haven't gone through it, but others have said that there will be a series of interviews, and they will come to your house, and inspect your closets, and bedrooms, don't know why exactly. if you have any more questions or are worried, send me an message. i haven't gone through all the work yet, but i have the pages somewhere i could forward them to you :)

where in brazil will you be moving to?

ola!!

My name is Elaine, i am living in Rio de Janeiro. I tried to go for the stable union visa but it was way to difficlt here in brazil, so my boyfriend and I decided to marry on the 17th of september here in Brazil. i would advise you to marry as this is the fast and easiest solution to getting your permanent visa.

My application was approved yesterday and i have roughly 6 months until i get my permanent visa!

What you exactly need is below, you dont require anything else!

All documents must be in Portuguese and if not have to be officially translated!

1)authenticated copy of the marriage certificate

2)authenticated copy of the ID of your boyfriend.

3)authenticated copy of your arrival slip (you will recieve this on the flight)

4)authenticated copy of your passport (all pages)

5)authenicated (translated) copy of a police certificate (indicating you have no criminal record) from you country of origin

6)R$102 to be paid before application for visa, take reciept with you from bank with you when you apply. (www.dpf.gov.br)

7)2x photos of you and 1x photo of your boyfriend

NOTE- you can authenicate all your documents in any 'cartorio'

NOTE- you will require your birth certificate when applying to marry!

Boa sorte'
Elaine :D