Posting stuff from the UK to Hanoi, Vietnam

Hello!

Has anyone here experience with receiving goods from the UK?

I want some books sent from my home in the UK to Hanoi, they are only secondhand books, costing no more than a few pounds each (5 - 6 items, probably about 3kg in total).

Are these considered cultural items here in Vietnam? Will they be inspected at Customs? Should I have them sent to my apartment or office in Hanoi? Will they add an import tax, or will they simply go missing?!

There's lots of info on the web, but a lot of it is contradictory. What would be really great is to hear some first-hand experiences.

I have sent a number of things from Hanoi to the UK. Everything sent from the local post office by the Lake has arrived in the UK, but I'm not sure of the service in the other direction. I also can't justify shipping £20 worth of books through Fedex of DHL for a cost of £100+.

Advice needed please!

Thanks so much!

Hi VeeeT and welcome to the forum!

I have moved your topic on the Vietnam forum for better visibility.

I hope other members will be able to help you.

All the best,
Christine

Customs, being lazy, assess most imports at 100%. You have to 'appeal' their assessment to get it knocked down.

They also have their own valuation process which, for intangibles like books, makes for a hassle.

Books, as you surmised, are definitely 'cultural' items - even Playboy - and will require an extra fee for some guy 'reading' them.

Since you are in the North they will likely be stiffer than the south. I've have known Christmas cards with religious symbols (as opposed to Santa Claus) have their fronts torn off.

£20 of books sure isn't worth the hassle or £100! Do you really, really need them? Have you checked out the Guggenheim Museum free books < www.ebooksdownloadfree.com/download/guggenheim-1 > or the Project Gutenberg offers over 40,000 free ebooks < www.gutenberg.org/ >?

Theft isn't the problem so much as the slow transportation. I just received a First Class mail envelope from the UK and it took NINE WEEKS.

Best to hope a friend comes out and brings your literary gift with them.

Thanks for all the useful info Jaitch :) I'll check out those ebook links!

Have you or anyone else had any success with receiving electrical products from the UK to Hanoi?

VeeeT wrote:

Have you or anyone else had any success with receiving electrical products from the UK to Hanoi?

What, exactly?