is there any expat in Ecuador,
I'm thinking of moving there,
could anyone tell me how safe it is there,
how much crime is there,

also i read there are many snakes,
are they a problem,
thankyou,
becky.

And 4 years later Becky is patiently waiting to find out if snakes are a problem in Ecuador.

mugtech wrote:

And 4 years later Becky is patiently waiting to find out if snakes are a problem in Ecuador.

Unless she moved to Ecuador, in which case she has no doubt figured it out by now.

BobH wrote:

Unless she moved to Ecuador, in which case she has no doubt figured it out by now.

Her profile says she is in India, desires to move to Singapore, so I doubt she wound up in Ecuador.  There are those in India who worship snakes, perhaps it was a religious question.  If she were serious there could have been some follow up questions about cost and best methods to ship cobras to Ecuador, possible legal problems for doing same.

Somebody from India is worried about Ecuador's snakes?   :shy

Interesting point Mugtech, I'm on a number of expat forums and the like. Indians and Pakistanis are posting to move anywhere and everywhere. It's an Exodus.

gardener1 wrote:

I'm on a number of expat forums and the like.

If you don't mind saying, which (besides this, of course) do you find of value in re Ecuador? I enjoy Expat-Blog and consider it both entertaining and informative, but I would like alternative sources. I tried Expat Exchange, but their Ecuador forum is rather unpleasant.

If you would prefer, you could answer by PM.

Bob

They're not Ecuador related.

One is an ESL forum, the odd Ecuador inquiry comes in from time to time, the questions often go without any response. Whereas the China and Korea folders there are beehives of activity.

Some countries on Reddit. The Reddit Ecuador page takes about one post a week. Sometimes less.

Yes I agree Bob, Ecuador expat forums are few and far between, and rather unpopulated.

Posting that reminded me of a conversation I had on the ESL forum.

A question came in about the market and wages for teaching English in Ecuador. It went unanswered for days. So the poster didn't feel so abandoned I popped in to suggest that the market for bilingual Spanish and Chinese speakers was likely far more lucrative than Spanish/English.

I think this was also touched on in another thread here? China seems a stronger force influencing Ecuador than does N. America.

gardener1 wrote:

Yes I agree Bob, Ecuador expat forums are few and far between, and rather unpopulated.

Thanks for the info. It's rather surprising, isn't it. Given that Ecuador seems to be a rather hot retirement destination, it would seems likely that it would generate a few hot forums. But if there are any out there, I haven't found them. This one, which is sort of medium-warm, seems the best.

I was very much helped in my Philippine planning, and throughout my stay there, by a very active and lively forum which had a lots of active participants and dozens of posts every day.

I don't know if mugteck is talking about real snake or snakes in his head but Becky I have not run into any snakes in the garden at least real ones but I am sure there are ones in the Amazon but I don't live there.
I live in the populated area.  Lets get normal folks.  We want to answer questions people are interested with not off the wall stuff shape up please.  Becky I have no problems in Ecuador I mind my business.  I wanted 3 things here 1.  Low cost of living 2. Good Health Care Cheap 3.  Warm Weather with a Breeze I got all three I am delighted.  Hope I helped.  But the time my country figures out health care I will dead.  But I meet my budge I am thrilled.  Everything this country promised me they have for filled.  Now are things perfect no but they are not any where.  I am more then great full.  I have not had any one three me bad am I care full absolutely do I where flashy jewelry no, to I care a phone no, to I show off computer no.  I travel on a bus and am given a sit they are very nice to me no problem.  No snakes.

smmr wrote:

No snakes.

Individual experiences may vary. Get out of the city and take a walk down a dusty road, you'll see snakes.

smmr wrote:

I don't know if mugteck is talking about real snake or snakes in his head but Becky I have not run into any snakes in the garden at least real ones but I am sure there are ones in the Amazon but I don't live there.

Perhaps you have me confused with Medusa, no snakes in my head.  Thank you for informing us that Cuenca is not in the Amazon.  Becky's question was from 2009, doubt she saw your response.  But we do have an answer.

jessekimmerling wrote:
smmr wrote:

No snakes.

Individual experiences may vary. Get out of the city and take a walk down a dusty road, you'll see snakes.

Thank you

Are they all over the dusty road oh my God I think I will stay in the city.

I want you to know I am taking a bus to Peru 2014 but it is full of friends to a Resort but straight from the city to Mancora Peru so if we see any snake we will be running them over.  I am to old for snakes.
Sorry Becky I do have some friends that are married to snakes but my husband is a sweet heart so you can not have him.

Maria Pia my daughter how come you never told me about all these snakes on the dirt roads???
How can I come and visit you if there are so many snakes all around.  Are there a lot of snakes in your town where you are building?  I never heard you talk about one darn snake not one.  We have talked and talked about building but never about snakes.  Have you every seen any snakes?  You have come back and fourth from the city on dirt roads have you seen a lot of snakes.  You went to see Aunts and Uncles on the way have you seen a lot of snakes?  You never brought this up to me why?  MOM2

BobH wrote:

I tried Expat Exchange, but their Ecuador forum is rather unpleasant.
Bob

I jumped into their "US dropping aid" thread and saw a lot of MSNBC type of name calling, but no one gave me any grief, and some were in agreement with my EHM approach to China in Ecuador.  Not worth going back.

gardener1 wrote:

Somebody from India is worried about Ecuador's snakes?   :shy

Interesting point Mugtech, I'm on a number of expat forums and the like. Indians and Pakistanis are posting to move anywhere and everywhere. It's an Exodus.

Even on the Philippines forums, along with plenty of Koreans and Vietnamese.

mugtech wrote:

I jumped into their "US dropping aid" thread and saw a lot of MSNBC type of name calling, but no one gave me any grief, and some were in agreement with my EHM approach to China in Ecuador.  Not worth going back.

Way too much name-calling for me. I don't mind plain-speaking (and I've been known to do a bit of it myself), but the problem on online forums is that it will escalate and can get out of control very quickly, and on a forum like these it can drive away the info-sharers. It appears that happened there -- at least on the few threads I sampled.