UK/US couple thinking about moving to Ireland

My wife and I have been together for four years, marrying in the July of this year.  We're both want to start a life somewhere new and have been thinking about Ireland.  However, while it is easy for me to hop over with my EU passport, I understand it won't be the same for my wife.  Is the process of my wife joining me there as troublesome and complicated as it is in the UK or does it work more like the EU where we can exercise our treaty rights to be together.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated from us  both.  Thank you.

Hi. I am an American married to an Irish woman. I have been able to (easily) obtain an irish passport as well as keeping my American one. Both of our little ones have American as well as Irish passports. Make sure that you have income when considering moving here. It is NOT the UK or America in any manner! While it is beautiful and safe, I call it the Land of "No You Can't!" a legacy of colonial rule the irish have never and probaly never will get over. Do your homework before commiting to a move here.

Hi Georgiasmokey
I'm planing to move to Ireland.How were you get an irish passport?
Thanks

I moved here with my Irish wife in 2001. I was granted an Irish passport after having a resident card (after police clearence)for two years.

@GeorgiasMokey,

I would love it you could explain the "Land of No You Can't".  My husband is a software engineer and is in the process of working out details with a recruiter. We have 2 elemantary school children and wonder what life will be like.

I have read about the terrible recession, so of course, this concerns me.

@Boston Mama: The elementary (primary) schools here seem to be pretty good so you should rest at ease in that respect at least.