Buying items from US(eBay) Tax/Duties/Shipping?

Hello everyone! First topic here, i hope everyone in China had a good holiday and feel rested for upcoming working week! I have some questions;

I would like to buy some items from eBay(USA) - (I live in Shanghai) I would like to know if this is trouble-free? Is there any import duties/tax/etc. on items bought from US? (This is not wholesale or anything like that, just normal items)

And regarding shipping? Has anyone experience with getting a package sent to their private homeadress in Shanghai?

Do You just write your street/building/door name in Chinese to seller(Or should you include English letters adress too)?

And what if you are not home when the package comes, do you just pick-up at local China post office?

I hope anyone can help with this or have any experiences

and YES i know there is taobao etc. here in China, but please stick to the topic!

Have a great one!

Best Regards

(moderated: no free ads please)

Ordering from overseas unsure you dont go beyond 100 usd or you will have to pay 10% of declared value. Or depending in dutiable goods. And if your orders mostly from stores it can have the chance to pass by customs.

In some cases if you are lucky no issue.

No issue to write english address but best to put your correct district and zip. I usualy even put corner name to be safe.

They will tax any electronics.... rumor has it you can escape it by shipping to an office vs. residential. If your mailbox is too small, they'll either leave with Bao'an (guard dude) or leave a slip of paper in your mailbox to claim at post office.

Agree with above, its best for customs declaration to say gift with small monetary amount- with "homemade looking pkg" are the best.

We had one experience where amazon (US) sent a tablet to us, then held it in customs until we went to Pudong to get some paper to have signed/stamped then had to go to another office to pay the tax, then go out to Pudong again to pick up the package. it was a mpain- but not impossible.