Volunteering

hello it has been a long time,,,,,,but i have a request does anybody know of any voluntary work in and around Hoi-An?
i am looking for this in 2013 about mid year for anything from 1 month to 1 year any help would be great.
i am a organic gardener and own my own garden centre in australia,this type of work is good but not the only job i will do, as i am fit for my age(56) and am willing to help any way i can.
any details in accommodation with any voluntary work would be great also.
thanks pete.

Orphanages and Hoi An orphanages.

Unfortunately, some - not all - orphanages have abused the good will. Bags full of donated toys found on sale in the local markets shortly after the donation; directors living a lifestyle not in keeping with their income, etc.

The way around these problems is to volunteer labour, donate your time, in ways that directly benefit the children rather than involve money.

These problems are not limited to Hoi An in particular but have been reported up and down the length of the country.

So choose you beneficiaries with care.

More deserving might be the Agent Orange victims in the Da Nang City and Quang Nam (Hoi An).

One thing. Do NOT pay anyone for the privilege of helping these victims. Your sweat is your contribution. There are some Foreign aid NGO's that charge volunteers fees for accommodation and even the opportunity to assist. Avoid them more than orphanage directors!

thank you Jaitch for your reply, can you send any links or information for these places in Da Nang and Hoi An?
i know you have to be a bit weary when volunteering, so to find the right ones is going to be hard but i have time and i will check!!
thanks

ok i have been around and around in circles with the organisations that are there to help you!!!
but there must be someone who knows of an organisation or nice bunch of people that you can work for that actually are helpful to the people in need and those of us who want to help.
cheers.

Call me conservative, but your photo does not inspire me to recommend you for work with kids.  Perhaps if you tell us a little something to counter-balance the super-aggressive photo ?  I live and work in Hoi An, have done so for 12 years, and have spent all of that time working with disadvantaged kids.  What I would say straight up, is to advise you against providing any sort of support or assistance to the orphanage in Hoi An. After 5 years there, I have nothing good to say about the management of that facility.

It's Frank Zappa (on the pic)
Sorry for the off topic :P

Zappa was an artist... enough said...:)

Your greatest gift that you could give children or anyone for that matter... is work with them on pronunciation of English dialogue...It's their Achilles Heel...
And it won't cost you a cent...

Paying to volunteer....springs up more red flags...than a Chinese parade... ;)

There's a good organization called Helping Hand here in Saigon. They have a website and facebook page so feel free to search for it. I'm sure my post would get modded if I posted the links here.

roboz wrote:

Call me conservative, but your photo does not inspire me to recommend you for work with kids.

Maybe not with children here since most children in school here are well-behaved. But I highly would recommend him to work with kids in the US for sure. ;)

hello sorry for not replying sooner,but thanks for all your help i am doing vietnamese lessons and looking around vietnam ( Saigon,Hanoi and places afoot ) so i will keep looking and looking as there are plenty of choices.
oh and thanks 'roboz' for your comments,not exactly friendly.......... but still thats your opinion,but tell me what picture would you recommend i use, and why would you stay 5 years in a place you obviously do not recommend.

Friends For Street Children (FFSC) is in need in the following areas:  English teachers, People to play with the children, Facilities.

E-mail: < [email protected] >

thank you 'jaitch' very much appreciated,i will let you know what happens ? !.
nice to know there are people who generally help others.:)