Isn't holding your passport illegal in KSA?

Hi,

I see this in my organisation, the sponsor takes your passport for processing your Iqama but never returns it back stating that it will be kept in safe locker. I feel this is not right. Isn't this illegal in KSA? or is this what followed here? why this is done this way?

That is the way for most of us here.

Employers have no right to do that at all anywhere in the KSA. Not all firms do like this. Its better to talk to the employer firmly on this issue, thats not right in anyway.

mine used to. but not now.

Freshlikesushi, How did you managed to get it back? My concern is my employer's attitude towards me after I raise this issue. He is been nice and kind now.

My company policy is you can't be in possession of both the iqama AND your passport at the same time.  They need to be holding one or the other (although, ironically, they let me have both when I went to Dubai, saying that sometimes it's necessary for immigration there).

kiran_2501 wrote:

Freshlikesushi, How did you managed to get it back? My concern is my employer's attitude towards me after I raise this issue. He is been nice and kind now.

well kiran it very normal here due to the sponsorship system . Hopefully there will be new system by the end of this year.

It is not right. Your passport belongs to you (or your home government) and shouldn't be kept by anyone else. Ask for it back and if refused contact your local embassy/consulate and ask their advice. There have been a number of cases where the local embassy have pressured the employer into giving it back.

Oh, they'll give it back when I want it, in exchange for the iqama lol

Yes, get your embassy or anyone else to pressurize your sponsor to give the passport back. You will get it back eventually but with an exit stamp most probably and in return of your residence permit. And then even your embassy will not be able to do anything.

ICAL TEFL wrote:

It is not right. Your passport belongs to you (or your home government) and shouldn't be kept by anyone else. Ask for it back and if refused contact your local embassy/consulate and ask their advice. There have been a number of cases where the local embassy have pressured the employer into giving it back.

kiran_2501 wrote:

They just give it back. Don't even ask

Freshlikesushi wrote:
kiran_2501 wrote:

They just give it back. Don't even ask

umm i wont but why ? like is it a rule ?

No rule saying they can't

ICAL TEFL wrote:

Hotels in some European countries are obliged by law to keep hold of your passport.

I guess people react to this kind of thing differently depending on the context.

Dont worry, This is the system here and if they give it back with iqama the emplyee may get another contract in another country then! !????  suddenly disapear  that one of the reasons they keep it

Freshlikesushi wrote:

No rule saying they can't

Usually it's company policy.