Thinking about moving to Manchester soon. Advices needed!!!

Hello people,

I am considering in moving to Manchester from Italy with the hope to start a professional life career in IT, and maybe doing some uni in the future. I will also consider any other options for the beginning, such as a job in hospitality or anything else that comes along.
I wouldn't mind to have to shovel cement for the very beginning, as long as I make some cash.

I was pretty convinced with going to Manchester straight up, but than somebody confused me, saying that Manchester is facing a very tough recession recently and moving there to find a job is going to be a lost mission.

So I decided to come here and ask you guys if the job situation in Manchester is really that bad at the moment, and what I should do..

Also, if anybody feels to give a personal opinion about other cities in UK, which city do you think would be suitable for a foreign guy that needs to stay cheap, to get a job, rely on a good transport system, but also have the benefit of a good nightlife and the opportunity to live in a city full of great and brighting people?

Thanks

Hello Segnale007. :)

I invite you to read these articles on Work/Labor market in England.

You can post an advert in the Jobs in Manchester section as well. It can help.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Oh thank you :) I am sure I am going to find plenty of information in there.

However I still hope someone is going to pop up and tell us about his point of view.

Thanks

Hello segnale007

Maybe this will come too late for you. I have only just joined...

I was born in Manchester so maybe my view is a little slanted....but my first advice would be to choose a city in the north of the country just because the people are warmer and more friendly. Also, the cost of living is lower in the north. I think you have the same chances of finding work here than in London. I do not agree that Manchester is particularly suffering the recession any more than anywhere else in the UK. You will find lots to interest you in Manchester...we have some cool places to visit and, as you say, the nightlife is good here for the younger ones. Nice restaurants also. If you like music you'll enjoy the music festivals on throughout each summer. You may take a while to get used  to our climate...a bit wet most of the time...but  everything else will compensate for the weather. 

I wish you well on your 'adventure' and hope you find your feet here soon.