Graduate from an UK university looking for jobs in Malaysia

Hi,

Nice to meet you all. My name's Hannah and I have been looking for a job in Malaysia after graduation in order to gain experience and stay nearer to my boyfriend (he's Indian Malaysian).

In my mind I thought Malaysia is less tough compared to Singapore as there is no salary limit, but the language requirement has put me off sometimes. I found that most companies want Bahasa and English while I can only speak English (fluent) and Vietnamese (native).

I graduated with a BA in Business Admin and English Language Studies, and I have experience in the customer service sector ( I used to work in university bar and restaurants) and also HR department at HSBC.

Yes I am still looking and applying..but it seems so hard. I wonder if there is any better solutions for job hunting in Malaysia.

Nice to meet all friends and hope you have a lovely day.

Hannah

Hi Thn3;

Please take note the unemployment figure of graduates in Malaysia recently. For the public universities graduates the unemployed has reached a shocking 70%, whereas the private institutions graduates has recorded a 26% and meanwhile the graduates from foreign university is at 34%. With this figure, in hand. The market scenario is very difficult to find job in Malaysia unless you have a special skills and connection !

That is why I am now not working in Malaysia !

Anyway goodluck in your job search !

@malong83- could you please avoid posting the same message on all the forums? Thank you.
----------------------------------------------

Hi Hannah,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope other members will be able to give you some advises and tips to help you find a job in Malaysia. In the meantime, I suggest you to post an advert in the Malaysia jobs section as well.

Best of luck,
Christine

I agree with Malong83!!

Many international graduates always think that it is easy for them to find job in Malaysia, because they have degree, master, etc.. from UK, USA, France, etc.. etc.. To be honest, there are many Malaysian Graduates that as "equally" as them (graduate from International university) and still looking for the job.

Sometimes, which I find "amazing" is that, these international/ foreign graduates always think that they are better than local people, so when there is an job offer, they will demand salary double or triple of what employers can offer. Sadly, the foreign graduates never seen the perspective of employers that we also need to apply for your work permit, etc.. etc and this easily cost us MYR3,000-MYR5,000.00 and not to mention all the co-ordination and filing work that we have to go through.

So, as an employer (which I think also would be the same with other employers), we would give the priority to the local students regardless either they had been studied in US, UK, Malaysia, etc..

Nevertheless, of course, if we needed a graduate/ worker with specific skills, experience and have extra advantages (eg: speak Multi languages like French, German, Dutch, Korean, etc.. so, foreign workers and graduates would justify our needs.

Try to search at "JOBS" category from Expat.com or visit some recruitment agencies, they could have something for you.. or try to visit : www.jobstreet.com OR www.jobsdb.com

Good Luck!!
Mrs_de_RIJK

[Moderated: Please communicate by PM]

Hi,
I have foreigners, well educated but unable to find jobs in Malaysia joined me in network marketing and they are doing well financially. At the same time, they are able to make new friends and enlarge their social circle.  Why don't you try out something different rather than not getting any results from looking for a job??
Write to me if you are interested. [email protected]
Think about it.
Sabbie

Hi Hannah,

Have a nice holiday here but your chance of getting a job is 1/1,000,000 as

- under legal age of 27
- have no experience
- have a general degree of no real worth locally (as in loads of Malaysians study business studies) and you have no specific skills
- are asian (which gets rid of any woth of the English bit of the degree)

The last one makes it harder! The only chance you have is with a Vietnamise company that can get work permits on the basis of language needs. Most Vietnamise in Malaysia are well doing "guest relationship work" and experience has it that Malaysians are not very PC about other Asians even ones born and bred in the West. I have seen it in action and it isn't pretty.

Otherwise have a nice hol, and move on (hard but true advice) until you have marketable skills and experience (that will take 5 years and a lot of luck).

Or marry your bf and try the LTSVP route (still hard)

If anyone thinks I am being harsh - telling complete lies and say "it will be easy" is worse!

(moderated: please post in English in this English speaking forum. Thank you)