Building: who is responsible for the street...

Question for those Hungarian gurus out there:

If I buy a plot of building land, who is responsible for fixing the street outside the plot, putting in street lights, kerbs, surfacing, drainage etc?

Is it the local government (of the town/village) or is it the country (megye) authorities?

TIA!

A good question, and one I inquired about myself in the past.

From my own prior discussions with a local government official this is the short version as explained to me:

It depends where the property is located.

If the land is within a city/town/village (CTV) defined boundary, the CTV is responsible.

If the land is outside the CTV but within the sphere of influence of the CTV, then the CTV is also responsible. The CTV sphere of influence can extend far beyond the simple CTV boarder (for example: there may be an inner village and outer village and the same village is responsible for both). To know if the property is within a CTV sphere of influence you should ask the village mayor or notary (whichever is more competent). But far less money is spend on "outer" village improvements. I for one simply assume when buying a property outside a village it is "as is" and will probably remain that way for some time.

Else, you are on your own. The county is not required to supply infrastructural improvements outside a CTV sphere of influence. You will have to pay for all such improvements yourself (even basic ones like getting water or electricity).

There are exceptions such as main roads through the landscape or through a CTV, then the responsible body for the road is the national road company. And an exception to that are all accessories, such as sidewalks, in the CTV, as those are the financial responsibility of the CTV, even on main roads.

klsallee wrote:

Else, you are on your own. The county is not required to supply infrastructural improvements outside a CTV sphere of influence. You will have to pay for all such improvements yourself (even basic ones like getting water or electricity).

Thanks for that. I thought it was like that. Some areas of the village have just dirt tracks and no attempt is made to make them into proper roads. I assumed it was just not a priority of the local government (village) to do the road when the area has few houses. Presumably, they'll just get around to it when they can. However, Mrs Fluffy says the local government can practically absolve itself of any responsibility ad infinitum.

It also seems provision of utilities is the responsibility of the owner. So, here's another question: If say, the owner of the first plot installs say gas into the street as far as his/her plot at their own cost (usually expensive and some distance), what obligation (if any) do other plot owners further down the street have to recompense the initial installer? e.g. the first to install bears the brunt of the costs of all subsequent installations thereafter. Is that correct?

fluffy2560 wrote:

what obligation (if any) do other plot owners further down the street have to recompense the initial installer? e.g. the first to install bears the brunt of the costs of all subsequent installations thereafter. Is that correct?

I did not know, so I called our mayor and asked. The short answer is depends when the install was done. For some time the installer has a right to ask you to help recover costs if you hook up. But after a period (12 months for example) the initial installer has to give over the install done on village land (such as under a street) to the village. Then you go to the village office (the mayor and notary) and ask to hook up. You then pay only costs from the end of the line to your property at that point. Our mayor also suggested if it is utility such as water or power, to call the utility company directly, as they are often interested in new customers and can sometimes help you navigate the issue.