Work in Brazil

i want to go to brazil and stay there for at least 1 years for fun and travel including working in brazil. i am a structural civil engineer with 18 yes experience in design of bridges and industrial buildings.can someone here show me the way to immigrate / live / settle or find a job in brazil.

Hello maniskarandikar!

Welcome to Expat-blog.com

We have created a new discussion on the Work in Brazil forum.

You can also post an advertisement in the Jobs in Brazil.

Enrique

Hello Manish,

I'm sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but for foreigners finding a job in Brazil in no easy task by any means. The cards are stacked against us right from the beginning.

The laws here in Brazil obligates all private sector companies to prove that they have exhausted all efforts to place a qualified Brazilian citizen in a job vacancy and have been unable to do so. Only then are they permitted to hire a foreign national (from any country).

Public sector jobs are reserved exclusively for Brazilians or naturalized Brazilian citizens, who then must go through a selection process involving a test, which has thousands of people trying out for the vacancy.

The easiest way to work in Brazil is to obtain an investor's visa, if you have R$150 thousand to invest and a business plan it's easy to get one.

It would probably be easier to smuggle an Indian Elephant into Brazil in your carry-on bag than finding a job here, unfortunately.

Also you must consider the fact that any foreign diplomas must be recognized here in Brazil, this is a very bureaucratic process too. Please see the link for my posting on the subject.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=177474

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

That is exactly what I said, when a company in the private sector can establish that they are unable to fill positions with qualified Brazilian citizens they can hire foreigners, isn't it?

Also he still needs to go through all the bureaucracy of having his diplomas 'revalidated' in Brazil (as if they were somehow 'invalid') and obtain a visa.

No matter what way you cut the cheese it comes out the same, the cards are pretty much stacked against foreigners from the get go.

Cheers,

Well I know from having been born and raised in Canada that it is not anywhere near as complicated to immigrate, work or have your educational accomplishments recognized there as it is here in Brazil. Bureaucracy was certainly not invented here, but they've refined it into a SCIENCE. The bureaucracy costs billions of reais each year in terms of reduced GDP it also is responsible to some degree in holding back the development of the country.

Also, since the original posting was in response to citizens of India and Pakistan and was spun-off by Expat-blog Team to create a separate topic (see original topic https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=201090) it was much more focused on their particular situation. Have you actually checked the Embassy/Consular websites for these countries and seen all the oppressive requirements that they must meet in order to obtain even a simple Tourist Visa? We North Americans and Europeans get off very lightly as compared to what they have to go through. I'm not saying that Brazil has no right to make it that way, but it certainly isn't just. It certainly appears that in terms of obtaining visas they are ALL considered as economic refugees who will pose a great risk to overstaying their visas if permitted into the country.

Yes, those fortunate enough to have education and experience in STEM fields find it a bit easier to obtain employment here, unfortunately not everyone falls into that category. If it's very difficult for medical doctors, dentists, lawyers and other professionals to have their credentials accepted and find work here in Brazil, imagine how much more difficult it is for an eletrician, welder or some other tradespeople.

Is there an unemployment problem in Brazil? YES. Do Brazilian citizens deserve some kind of protection in terms of finding jobs? Obviously here too the answer is YES. Do qualified foreigners deserved to get passed over for decent jobs here or find it so hard to obtain work, just because they are not Brazilians? Clearly the answer is NO!!! I'm not advocating just throwing the doors wide open by any means, the playing field needn't be perfectly level, but it shouldn't be a steep uphill climb for expats either.

Cheers,