Moving to Spain

Hi, My name is Marina and I am thinking of moving somewhere in Spain with my fiance in 1-2 years. I have lived in Chicago my whole life and have visited Europe several times. I went to Rome,Italy as a child and then turned 21 in Siracusa, Sicilia. I went to London when I was 24. My fiance is from Poland and is in love with Spain. He no longer wants to live in the U.S. I have considered teaching English as a means of income. I am a social worker in Chicago and I have always wanted to be a therapist, but I am not sure how I could accomplish this in Spain. The thought of moving to Spain is very exciting, but I also feel a bit scared. I am already 35 years old and I realize that this is not an age where most people move to other countries. At the same time, I am not most people.

Hello Marinaga,

I think is not a thing of the age is a thing of how to affront this change. Possitevely I can tell you that you are young to move everywhere you want:D, but it depends where. How do you manage your Spanish? I mean, to teach english you will need it.

Hi Enrique,

Thank you for your response. I am in the process of learning Spanish through a recorded program. I listen to and repeat the phrases while driving in my car.

Marina

Hello Marinaga!

That' s a great thing! Go on and then the words will sound easily.

Enrique

Dear Marinaga,

Don't feel that 35 is old.  I came to Spain as I was just turning 40, and, even more scarily, I came alone.  I am an English Teacher and I went to Spain without any formal Spanish.  Many people will say that the aim is for students to learn English, and therefore the teacher shouldn't need to speak the language of the students.  However, in my brief experience, some level of Spanish would have been a great help, particularly when teaching young kids.  You sound like you are preparing yourself for this, so just go for it and good luck!

Curly x

Hi Marina,
Dont let your age worry you about moving to Spaun, I am 51 and moved here 4 yrs ago.. its a great place, friendly people too.. takes time to get to know your way around but isnt that the same wherever you move ? If you would like more info then please do drop me a line
kevin

Everytime I have the possibility I go to the Spain. It's such a beautiful country. I wish I could stay there forever. The working conditions are very bad nonetheless. You want to teach English, that's good, you have an advantage : you are a native speaker and it's difficult for them to find native teachers. Do you know where you want to go ? Continental ? Balears ? Canary ?

Se necesita profesora nativa de ingles para dar clases a niños en un centro de enseñanza en Cazorla (Jaen-Andalucia-España. Puede contactar en [email protected]

Saludos

Carlos Molina

Hi narval1984!

As this is the anglophone forum could you please post in English?

Thanks
Armand

Unfortunately native American is not Native English. The pronunciation is worlds apart from correct English. It is quiet amusing seeing all of he English language courses available in such places as southern Ireland where the local accent is totally  unlike any English any poor student will have heard up until then.

I moved to Spain in my 30's and I am now 46. I would say that in a years time or even 5 years time, the situation here will not have changed much. There is currently 25% unemployment in mainland Spain and 35% where i am in Tenerife. While you might be lucky and get a teaching post ( get a TEFL qualification before you come) your partner being Polish may well find it harder if he is not a professional or cannot speak Spanish.

All in all if you cannot guarantee a living income before you get here, don't bother coming. Might sound harsh, but its realistic. Its beyond bad in most parts of Spain, with the American great depression a walk in the park in comparison.

Hello Marina!  Who told you 35 is too old to move to another country?  Don't listen to folks who tell you 35 is too old to travel.  Listen to your heart instead.  Have fun...enjoy life...it comes around only once.  I have been moving, traveling, and working in over a dozen countries on both sides of the hemisphere (Asia and Europe) over the past 30 some years.
I still have few more to go...and working to move again.  And I'm only 72.  If you have the stamina, energy, desire, and the means..do it!(you don't have to be rich...I worked my way around the world twice).

From a global venturer...and still at it.

Frederic
Blaine, WA, USA