Moving to KL, how should I go about finding a job to get my visa?

My fiance is moving to Malaysia for her job and I've decided to come along with her. 

I'm a little worried about finding a job and getting my work visa before my tourist visa expires.  I want to learn as much as possible before I get there.

Should I be looking into some sort of staffing agencies? What can I do to prepare?  Your thoughts are much appreciated!

Hi and welcome to Expat.com ExPatt2013 !

Your post has been moved to the Kuala Lumpur forum for better visibility.
Maybe you could talk a bit more about your professional background.

Regards
Armand

Hello!

It all depends on what kind of job you are looking for. After 90 days, you can try to look around and enquire for the requirements of employment. It seems like you are gonna look for a job here on your own, well then there are 2 kinds of permits that you can get.

If you are looking for a temporary job, then you can get a Temporary Employment Pass, though that is only available to any kinds of job which offers the monthly pay of less than RM5,000 and only lasts for 2 years.

For a long-term permit, you would have to have special qualifications; managerial, technical, specific skills etc. Employment Pass is usually issued for a minimum period of two years.

Hope it helps :)

Let me know if you have more questions!

Cheers.

If you are not married you effectively need own work permit and suffer restrictions such as having to be over 27 etc and 5k min salary. If married and on social visit visa you can supposedly get permission to work on that. Well in theory you can but employers don't know that.

Basically you need a degree and a good skill set. No degree no job.

It depends on your qualification and experience. Honestly, The foreign market job is very tough in Malaysia now, unless you have special or specific degree/ skills. If your degree or qualification are the most common ones like :  Marketing, Business Admin, Communication, etc.. - to  be honest, you must compete with a many Graduates and experience Malaysian, plus they have the advantages NOT TO have or apply for work visa/ permit.

Nevertheless, at the end, it all depends on your skills and experience and how or what you can offer to the new employers.

I received many International CVs and resumes with common qualifications (in fact almost 100++  of them!!) that I mentioned above and all of them have experience in Marketing, Communication, Sales, blah... blah... blah.. and those CVs and resumes are still on my desks. Indeed, I did sent them to the international and local companies for their consideration, BUT none of them are interested.

Anyway, good luck!

Thank you all for your input.  I have a undergraduate degree in English Writing and Rhetoric, and a masters degree in Advertising and PR.  I have over 10 years sales experience, 1 year of managing over 15 employees, and 1 year of being an account manager where I did both business development and marketing, and client relations.
Is there any job area I should focus on with this skill set and education?

Visit
job-street.com
Go ahead look for a job

hi im planning to move in KL next year..ive been ther last january 18 for one week visit I hope someone can help me find a job just give me two month notice in advance ",) hope to hear more from you all

@johnpascual -> What are your qualifications? :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Before your tourist visa expire you need to exit Malaysia to neighboring countries and come back even on same day they you have it another 2 or 3 month tourist visa (DEPENDS OF YOUR PASSPORT)& YOU CAN CARRY ON DOING THIS UNTIL YOU FIND A JOB,NO QUESTIONS ASK.

let me know when u'll arrive
I'l help u as much as I can

Aurélie wrote:

@johnpascual -> What are your qualifications? :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

If you click on profiles you get some info - pascal is a 24 year old fillipino. Chance of getting legal expat job in malaysia online zero. Most expats are sent to Asia first time or apply for jobs and get them before. Most malaysians consider Fillipinos to be expendable cheap labour and hardly held in enough asteem to get a job at 5k - obviously highly skilled professionals sent can get work but rascism still exists even if American born. I knew a woman who lasted 6 months. American born and bred. Fillipino face. Treated so badly she left in disgust.

Btw when I advertise for western expats I get 1000 Fillipinos and other Asians from nearby countries  apply clogging up our email (yes that many) despite advert saying no way. We can't get work permits for you! It isn't commercially viable.