Bulgarian/Romanian citizen's work permit

Hi,

I am a Bulgarian moving to Malta next month. I am familiar with the procedures for getting a work permit once you found employment but I was wondering if somebody could share their experience. Are employers in tourism industry willing to hire Bulgarians (I have experience)? Is it needed to have your Bulgarian diplomas recognized by Malta authorities? Any information on the topic will be highly appreciated :)
Thanks in advance!

Hi Exiebiexi,

welcome to the forum.

Yes, you will have to have any diplomas and certificates that are relevant to the job you are applying for translated and certified.

What Bulgarian diplomas are you talking about and what is your experience? Generally speaking work for foreigners in Malta are either highly qualified jobs (IT,finance,several languages,health care) or cheap labour jobs ( often without permit and illegal).

Employers are not that willing to employer foreigners legally as there are many Maltese unemployed, even in tourism.

I wish you luck.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky,

Thanks for the reply. I meant Bachelor and Master's degrees in Tourism management. I have them translated but my question is whether I will have to go through recognition of the diplomas by Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC)?

Any Bulgarian /Romanian people to share experience?

Do many Bulgarian /Romanian people come to Malta on holiday ?

Exiebiexi wrote:

Hi Ricky,

Thanks for the reply. I meant Bachelor and Master's degrees in Tourism management. I have them translated but my question is whether I will have to go through recognition of the diplomas by Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC)?

Any Bulgarian /Romanian people to share experience?

Hi,

Recognition of your diploma by MQRC is not mandatory, but it should increase your chances to get a job. Some employers actually do ask for it. Some are just feeling more comfortable when you mention that you have it. Also, recruiting agencies are looking at it very positively. So my advice, get it done. It's free but takes a long time, around two months for their response. All you get is a paper saying recognised at corresponding level. They don't evaluate subject by subject.

Good luck,

Irina

Hi
You need to complete an application (may be downloaded from the MQRIC web site),the original diploma and transcripts and copies of everything. You have to show the originals to the officer at the time of application and leave the copies. It takes from one to three months (almost three months for mine), depends on back log. I believe the MQRIC is now in Santa Venera.
Good luck.