Suggestions on Where to Live in Malta/Gozo (and some other stuff!)

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of relocating to Malta with my wife. I can run my internet based business from anywhere and the nice climate and generous tax breaks make Malta look to be the top choice in Europe! It's also pretty accessible from Ireland with direct Ryanair flights.

I'm planning to take a trip over in the next month or two to have a look around but was hoping to get some advice as to suitable places to live.

Ideally I'd like to be:

(1) Maybe reasonably rural based, close to a sandy beach or somewhere nice I could go swimming in the sea.

(2) Rent a pretty big and nicely furnished house (maybe 4/5 bedrooms) as we'd want to have room for our families to visit. Monthly rental budget is about €1400-1700

(3) Stable internet access. Preferably cable broadband such as Melita (not sure what their access is like in more remote parts of Malta/Gozo) or at least a decent ASDL or even satellite option.

(4) Within easy access of airport. From the look of things you could even drive from the far end of Gozo to the airport in a little over an hour even with ferry but I'm guessing it might be a bit slower than this. I like the look of Gozo a bit more but maybe someone could let me know if it's feasible to hop over to Malta for shopping etc a couple of times a week. If not we might be better off on the main island.

(5) Where the best websites to look for long term rentals are. I've looked at the Frank Salt site, are there any other places to try?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Hello blobert.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Concerning the rentals, the Housing in Malta section might help. You can post an advert there.

Browsing the other threads on the Malta forum can help as well.

Thank you,
Aurélie

blobert wrote:

From the look of things you could even drive from the far end of Gozo to the airport in a little over an hour

10-20 minutes - drive to ferry
5-60 minutes - wait for ferry
25 minutes on the ferry
30-60 minutes drive to airport

Thanks very much for the replies.

I am still leaning towards Gozo as it looks a bit more scenic and is cheaper in terms of renting.

I've emailed Melita to ask them about cable broadband on Gozo, it looks an option for some parts of the Island but I'm not sure about more remote villages.

If anyone knows of any nice rural areas of the main island close to a sandy beach or somewhere nice I could go swimming in the sea let me know, as I say Gozo looks the better option in terms of this.

Thanks again!