Chennai or Ahmedabad??

Have the option to move to either city in December or January.  Both look nice.  Which would you prefer??

chennai all the way

Chennai sucks, man. People don't speak any other language except Tamil for the most time. They are gracious enough to talk to outsiders in their language.

Ahmedabad is one of the best cities in India, highly cosmpolitan, great infrastructure, multicultural populace open to foreigners and one of the best economies in India, the best in fact.

bgemmill wrote:

Have the option to move to either city in December or January.  Both look nice.  Which would you prefer??

bgemmill..great to here about your interests in India.

Well both Chennai & Ahmedabad are amazing places to live and work. But having lived in Chennai all my life, I'm certainly more biased towards it....I'll try to share a few pros & cons and you take a call.

Pros
- Its a metropolitan city
- Ample opportunity to socialize and meet a lot of expats
- Most of the foreign embassies are in the city
- You can find a vast array multi-cuisine dinning
- Relatively cheaper than other metro cities (Delhi & Mumbai)
- A lot of options for EASY travel around (pondicherry, Kodai, etc)
- Last but not the least you have a BEACH and nothing beats sitting near the shore during the weekends and watching the sun go down

Cons
- Predominately most of the natives speak Tamil, but if you speak english it should not be a problem
- Traffic is horrible during peak hours
- I don't want to generalize it but you need to be a bit careful when dealing with the locals
- Rentals can be expensive compare to Ahemdabad
- The weather is something that everyone complains about and its very humid to, so you must be prepared to shell out tons of sweat during summers

Well I hope this helps.

rgds.

both the cities are good, but would prefer bangalore

Even my Indian friends tell me Chennai is a horrible place to stay. I have been in Chennai a few times for work and it is one of the worst places in India for non-Tamil speaking people.

In most other Indian metros and tier I cities, people speak Hindi and English, even cab drivers and domestic help speak either of these languages.

In Chennai, people will never speak to you in any other language other than Tamil. Even the educated ones who speak English!

The weather is too humid. The locals are unfriendly and the auto rickshaw drivers are rip-o**s. They will just take you around the city if they smell that you don't speak Tamil or you are an outsider and charge you exorbitantly.

Bangalore, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Pune, Ahmedabad and Delhi are the best cities in India to live!