Timing for VN license and buying motorbike

My wife and I recently moved to HCMC from a job assignment in Thailand. We are on a 3-month work visa while my employer processes the paperwork for a work permit. We plan to be here for 4-5 years at least. I want to buy a motorbike and need a little advice.

I'm planning on getting a VN motorbike license, and I have two options. I have a Thai motorbike license that is good for another 5 years. I am a US citizen, so I don't know if they will accept this license (with translation to VN) or if I will need to use a US license. My current US license is only for a car and needs to be renewed in Jan 2013. I will be traveling to the US in December and can get a car/motorcycle license while I'm there (good for 4 years).

So here's the questions:
- Will they accept my Thai license (w/translation)? This would be the quickest and easiest option.
- If not, what should I do for the next three months until I can get my US car/motorcycle license? Just hope that I don't get pulled over?
- If I wanted to buy a new motorbike, do I need the VN license first?
- Besides getting a warranty and hopefully needing fewer repairs, what are the advantages/disadvantages to getting a new bike vs. a used one in good condition?

Thanks!

To drive in VN you you need a Vietnamese licence. "Trading rights" that exist for citizens of ASEAN countries do not benefit non-citizens; ditto for any vehicle privileges.

As to whether you can 'trade' a Thai licence or not for a VN licence I don't know the answer. Traded licences have restrictions that don't apply to outright theory/driving test licences.

As for getting pulled over, the cops main interest is in collecting money. I know some Foreigners who have driven for years and have never been pulled over or have a VN licence. It depends on how you drive and if your lights are working.

When you have documents (Residence/Work Permits) valid for more than one year you can register a vehicle in your name. There is no connection between a VN driving licence and ownership - duration permitted in VN determines how you register it.

I always buy new vehicles, so I can't answer this point. If you are here for five years it sounds like a good investment to buy new. Why buy other people's problems.

I own Kymco machines (they have fuel injected engine models) and they are generous with their warranty and support. I even get free servicing when  I visit their factory/office.

Honda's are popular with thieves - easy to get keys. Also easy to maintain and for knock-off spare parts.

Kymco machines- Is it a motorbike like Honda Win or a Scooty. How munch CCs and cost of a new one.

I am browsing websites looking for a normal daily use motorbike to purchase on arrival and one scooty to purchase for my wife. Which brand and model of a scooty (to carry my wife and 2 small children to school) is good.

jaitch, can you please guide on which are the best value for money machines. I have heard Honda Win is value for money and as you have said spares and servicing is easily available.

I have to get an oil/filter change and will get pricing for you. Their range is a full one (motorcycles and scooters). Honda actually has a financial interest in the company and lots of design cross-licencing.

They range from 125cc - to above 220cc - certain licences restrict the size of engines you can drive. I have a 125cc but I had the ports polished and few other things; removal of a ring from the auto-transmission and two baffle plates from the silencer.

It goes as fast as a much larger machine but my interest is in hauling trailers long distance.

The Kymco scooter is ideal for the family, and you can get seat extensions in Chinatown to give you capacity for an adult and three/four children.

Maintenance with Electronic Fuel Injection is essential keeping the fluids good and changing when scheduled. My wife's electronic ignition, no FI, has had one rear brake pad change, battery change (2.7 years). It's automatic, too.

There are Italian scoots here as well, including the front double-wheeled unit.

jeff-vn wrote:

We plan to be here for 4-5 years at least.

.....what are the advantages/disadvantages to getting a new bike vs. a used one in good condition?

When you factor in all the given variables related to cost of ownership, you'll come out ahead w/ a new scoot vs. buying a used one. It would be the opposite if your timeline was 1-2 yrs, but given your 4-5 yrs time prescription w/ usage, it's better in the long run to buy yours new.