Online Shopping?

Hi

I have looked through previous posts and can't see an answer to my question so thought I would ask outright.

I used to do all my shopping online in the UK - tesco, ebay, amazon etc etc but I am really nervous about giving it a go here.

My post is redirected from England but takes over a month to get to me here. I've tried to sort out collecting it from the main post office (by emailing them) but no reply.

Anyway - I don't drive, my hubby works in Saudi and I would like to buy online and get it delivered. Has anyone done this before? Was it good, bad or average?

I have seen eshopbahrain.com/ but that doesn't have enough variety for my needs - birthdays, christmas etc

Fingers crossed for some positive feedback :D

Hi Josnuggles :)

I don't recommend using the Public Post offices here, for me its as it doesn't exist.

You still can do all your shopping online as you used to; but to make sure that you will get your order on time, you would have to use one of the well known couriers i.e. DHL, Fedex, Aramex, TNT … etc

Personally, I use “Shop and Ship” service by Aramex, once you register for the service, you will get three accounts/addresses in UK, USA and China in addition to your local address in Bahrain which will be the delivery address. I buy whatever I need online using one of the above mentioned addresses (This way I don't pay any shipping charges for Amazon or ebay as shipping the goods locally is usually free) and once the goods are delivered to the local address (UK, USA or China Address); Aramex will take care of it and deliver it to you in Bahrain wherever you are. You may check their website for further info.

I think other couriers like DHL and Fedex might be having similar service as well but I'm not sure about that.

There are some quite new websites similar to the one you mentioned covering the Gulf Countries and Middle East but I didn't have the chance to try any of them yet.

Regards,

Wow...

Thanks for all that information, I couldn't have asked for anybody more helpful.

The site says it is a lifetime membership for 45USD. Do you know what the additional costs are of having goods delivered or does that fee cover everything??

Regards

Jo

No it doesn't - if you look at the website you also pay per shipment depending on the weight of your purchase.

Ah, thought so. Their prices aren't very competitive either. Looks like an expensive way to shop online :sosad:

Not necessarily - for Electronics or some products that you simply cannot find here in Bahrain - then it's a good option.

Cool thank you

By the way - Souq website seem to be popular (http://uae.souq.com/ae-en/)

OMG!!! thank you soooooooooooo much for this post! I order lots of stuff from USA:)

wow good website but pc games are expensive........ :(

Thanks everyone. The Souq shop looks great. I am armed with a credi card and not scared to use it

I have finally plucked up the courage to register with Aramex and paid my $45 but nothing has happened. I'm hoping they will email me regarding addresses etc and how to use the service eventually.

They will; don't worry ;) ... You would be contacted by someone from their Customer Service, who will provide you with all the necessary information. Hope it work well with you :)

Thanks Vido :-)

I just wanted to update people. I have been using shop and ship for quite a while now and it is amazing. I bought 4 books on ebay UK and those books arrived on my doorstep 4 days later. The cost to set your account up is $45 (US) for a lifetime and this gives you a delivery address in UK, China and USA where you can have goods sent and the delivery charges are extremely reasonable.

My son is going on a ski trip with his school and I couldn't find any clothes for him here. 4 days after ordering all his kit was here in Bahrain thanks to Aramex shop and ship.

So huge thanks to Vido Dido who told me about them and also to Brighton Guy for reassuring me about the delivery cost.

Great guys

You're welcome Jo. This is nothing compared to all the help you provided in the forum.

Thanks, but you guys really helped me out. I would never have found out about it without you two

This is an amazing Info ... Thanks everyone for the post. Have anybody experienced ordering perfumes since they are quite cheaper online? How much is the delivery charges for it ?

I have been using this service years; it's not only availability, but cost also.  I bought a lot of photography and studio equipment from the US, using this service.  I get them in way better price that what's available here.  It became a habit before I buy anything, to compare the priced and to consider the shipping cost also.  You might also be interested to know, that Amazon and other sites will ship directly to Bahrain in some cases, you just need to check.

Delivery charges really depend on the weight of the shipment. There is a few calculator on Shop & Ship's website so you can use that.

You cannot have perfumes or cosmetics sent here due to customs law. If you go to the Aramex shop and ship web page it tells you all the forbidden products. I only got the account for perfume and I was really upset when I found I couldn't get it but I have still used it a lot.

I also got my prescription sent here from the UK using Aramex (not the shop and ship service, just their normal service)

Thanks Jo! For the info

I really wanted to get this service for perfumes since its a great difference in Price. The rest of the items for my use, i find them in amazon with free shipping.

Well in case of perfumes its better to have a vocations once a year and bring the whole Stock :P

My Mum brought me out 6 bottles of my favourite perfume when she visited at Christmas. The only other way I can get perfume I like at a reasonable price is duty free at the airport.

I wonder why perfume isn't allowed. Maybe it is because it contains alcohol?

I think you can get perfumes in very competitive prices in the traditional market in Dammam, Saudi Arabia.  I don't know about the quality though, they say there are different grades and different concentrations.

Nawafo wrote:

I think you can get perfumes in very competitive prices in the traditional market in Dammam, Saudi Arabia.  I don't know about the quality though, they say there are different grades and different concentrations.

The scents you get there are totally wrong for Western skin. They are too sharp and strong and don't compliment us.

I have tried so many and given up. Marks and Spencers do a lovely range though for every day use. Also BHS and Debenhams but they are very expensive

I agree with Jo. Some scents are very strong and far too spicy for someone who's never experienced such a strong smell in the past.

I don't know what Jo is talking about, but I meant perfumes like Channel and CD, and stuff like that, that you can get with a good price, not the local brands.

If you are not getting your perfume from a high-street retailer, it is more likely to be a fake one, or as you said, less perfume more water - which means it will last less longer or you will have to use more of it for the same impact.

brightonguy wrote:

If you are not getting your perfume from a high-street retailer, it is more likely to be a fake one, or as you said, less perfume more water - which means it will last less longer or you will have to use more of it for the same impact.

Totally agree with you. I bought a fake brand once and nearly had to bath in it for it to last more than half an hour.

Asian perfumes are too strong Nawafo and you were not clear in your post originally so hence the confusion

Josnuggles wrote:

Asian perfumes are too strong Nawafo and you were not clear in your post originally so hence the confusion

No problem...

btw my name is Nawaf

cheers

Nawafo wrote:
Josnuggles wrote:

No problem...

btw my name is Nawaf

cheers

Oh I am so sorry - maybe you put an extra O in your name by mistake. I am Jo to my friends and Josnuggles is my nickname, I don't mind which name people use.

It's fine

I used the extra O cause the username I wanted was taken.

I am sure others will find this post useful

thanks

I put this post up ages ago and so many people have emailed me saying thank you. The guys on here saved me from loads of grief and I am really grateful. I love this forum :D

Hi i buyed Nokia lumia920 and searched every corner of Bahrain to get screen protector and Leather cover...but no luck i searched amazon.com & found useful stuff there planning to order but never used online shopping sites...:/

jawadrn wrote:

Hi i buyed Nokia lumia920 and searched every corner of Bahrain to get screen protector and Leather cover...but no luck i searched amazon.com & found useful stuff there planning to order but never used online shopping sites...:/

I thought you would be able to get the things you need in the Souq. If not then I am more than happy to help you work your way around online shopping. It is a bit daunting at first but once you know which sites to trust then you will be fine.

Hi Jo, Thanks for that got the required material from souq.com

jawadrn wrote:

Hi Jo, Thanks for that got the required material from souq.com

That is really good news

Thanks for all the great information Jo. Do you know if bookdepository delivers direct to bahrain? I am addicted to that site.

silver356 wrote:

Thanks for all the great information Jo. Do you know if bookdepository delivers direct to bahrain? I am addicted to that site.

Silver I can't believe I have only just seen this post. I am so sorry that I haven't got back to you before this. I honestly have never heard of that site but I do know a few tricks of the trade so I will go through it all with you when you move here and we meet up.

I have just looked at booksdepository, and I feel that you could probably get all the same books from ebay or amazon that Aramex will deliver from.

Also depending on what phone you have you could download books to your mobile.