Retirement in Cambodia

Good afternoon

I am British (48yrs old next week) and have been collecting information over the last couple of years about retirement in South East Asia. My main focus has been Thailand; however recently (about 2months ago) I have started focusing on a possible alternative, Cambodia. However I can't find out anywhere to inform me if there is a minimum age for expat retirement as there is in Thailand (50yrs), can anybody help please.

Also if anyone out there has retired in Siem Reap, could you please advise on possible retirement condo's, as I also have a little trouble finding more than 1 link to any available.

I am planning to visit next May (2013) for a few weeks, as I have in the past visited Thailand approx 11 times, but never Cambodia.

Many thanks for any help

Howie

Hi Howie,

Not sure if you can get a retirement visa for Cambodia. However I think you can obtain and stay on a Business Visa which will last for 12 months.
I think that Thailand's idea of a Retirement Visa is also a 12 month one, which last time I looked at it, was a single entry, so if you leave the country before it expires, you need to redo it on return. They also require a cash deposit, which remains yours.
Why not consider Malaysia? I'm also a Brit and have lived in Malaysia for 12 years, on the Malaysia My 2nd Home Programme. This is a 10 year multiple entry visa. They require a Fixed Deposit in a local bank of RM150,000 (approx £30,000) plus proof of Outside Assets.
You will get a better idea by checking www.mm2h.com
I find it a great place to live.
The climate is similar to both Thailand & Cambodia.
I travel to Cambodia frequently, as my daughter lives there, and also visit Thailand often as it's close by Langkawi where I live.

Cheers
Reg

Howie, Reg is correct, there is no retirement visa for Cambodia, only 2 visas, tourist or business.

However the business visa for Cambodia compared to the Thailand retirement visa, is better, it requires no proof of income or any need of an amount of money in the bank.

Also the Thailand retirement visa requires 3 month visits to the Immigration police?

Once the Cambodian business visa runs out after the year, renew for another year, no visa runs.

However, in my opinion, Thailand may still be more attractive to the retirement person: better hospitals, less dangerous traffic?, better infrastructure and more social aspects in Thailand, due to the fact Thailand has a long history in tourism.

Cambodia needs more to do for people staying long term, social clubs and sports activities, maybe a bowling club might be good for retirement people? Cambodia has some way to go if it is to attract large numbers of retirement people.

Thank you Phnom Penh Services

With all the information I have generated in the last year in the UK on retirement in the Far East (spent approx 2-3 hrs a day on this, so this isn't just a whim!) I totally agree with what you have said, totally.

However as I am single, still fairly youngish (47yrs), I would probably be ok with living in Phnom Penh or Siem Reap. And unless I am advised otherwise, if I don't settle in Cambodia I presume I can then apply to try Thailand (the location I have been looking at up to about a month ago, when someone on here said try Cambodia).

I am visiting hopefully next May 2013, Chiang Mai for a week, and also Phnom Penh and Siem Reap for week each, then I will go from there.

I am grateful as always for any advise, especially Cambodia.

Many thanks

Howie

Hi Howie,

Yes, it's always simple life here in Cambodia. Also, things are not so expensive, so unless you have planned well, you can live here forever.
I think if you think you want to get retirement here in Cambodia - Phnom Penh or Siem Reap. Why not looking for a married life here? Let's say get married to Cambodian wife if you love too. I dont know if I said wrong, but should be an idea.
Best,
Sam

[Moderated]