Particular case - foreign car in Malta for next 3 years

Hi to all,

I apologize in advance for perhaps asking a question that was previously answered/ discussed here, but more I read, more I get confused about the regulations when bringing my car with me in Malta.

Here is my case:

- I'm of Bulgarian nationality (EU member state) and I'm moving to Malta to work for the next three years. I do hold a work permit but my employment is on a definite contract, thus after the expiration of the three years term I may leave Malta;
- my car has Luxembourg registration plates, as it is registered to the name of my wife (also of Bulgarian nationality). She will continue to reside in Luxembourg and so fare it's not planed to move with me. I drive the car everywhere in Europe with a special letter of power from her (dully notary certified) stating that I'm allowed to dispose with the car, as I find necessary and appropriate. The car has its current plates more than 2 years ago. The initial registration is from April 2006.

From what I read, It seems that I may not be forced to change the license plates to Maltese (which will cost me about 8.000 EUR!!!) because of the definite work contract and work permit. The authorities will allow me to keep Luxembourg plates, provided that the I use only one car, do not allow anyone else to drive it (and especially Maltese?!!) and all car papers are OK with Luxembourg road and safety authorities.

Is that correct or I have to consider other options?

I thank you very much for your thoughts, as I have to take the decision quite in a hurry.

Thank you!

"do not allow anyone else to drive it (and especially Maltese?!!" - the prohibition isn't on Maltese, but residents of Malta

I thought works contract exemption was for one year only

Hi walker,

welcome to the forum.

I see it the same way as George. As long as you stay a tourist and the car is in Malta for not longer than 6 months you can drive the car.

Once you become a resident ( and to work you will be a resident) you are not allowed to drive a foreign registered car ( whether your own or somebody elses).

If your trick would work I would immediatly get my son in Germany to buy a nice care (from my money) and insure it and keep it registered in Germany and drive it here in Malta with German plates !

To be honest , I would consider other options!

Is your work permit for three years ? That would be unusual. Your work contract can be for 3 years !

Cheers
Ricky