Advice on moving to Kuwait

hi guys, I was just made an offer of 750kd a month. Is that a good salary for two people considering:

1. living in a relatively good/safe area. I guess rent would be about 300kd a month for a furnished apartment.

2. I'm the only one working. Hence, will 750 cover most of our expenses: groceries, transportation, misc, etc.

3. We want to live relatively good life--not lavishly. For example, going out for a dinner or to a cinema once a week, or not so often.

4. I was also thinking about any hidden costs. Also what about residency costs/insurance for my dependent. Is it expensive?

I guess factoring in the above four, we will not be able to save much of my income.

Any advice will be much appreciated. :)

Hey Cliff, You could make it work if you do things strategically and are willing to exert the effort. Your employer should take care of residency/insurance related fees for you, they might cover some of your dependent's, so you need to find out from your employer directly.

You need to factor in how long you plan on staying as a minimum to see if buying a car would be a more economic choice than taxis or rentals.

Where you plan to settle in Kuwait will make a big difference to how much cost control you can exercise. If you live where rent is about 300KD and you have access to a hypermarket nearby then that will be a big help as you'll save on fuel and groceries as a result.

My advice is to plan every little step out, and have cotingencies for everything so you don't put yourself in a fix.

Let me know if you need any other info.

Cliff, this is a difficult one to answer without knowing more details about you and your family and also what the company your are going to be working for will cover. For example are they giving you any allowance to move your stuff over. The buying car example The Surge mentions is a good point. Getting a Kuwait drivers license is not a quick process so to begin with you'll have to rely on taxis/buses. I have not used the buses yet and taxis are relatively cheap compared the the UK, but check where you will live in relation to where you work as you ould easily pay £10/12 per day getting to and from work and then there is the trips to the supermarket/malls for dinner and the movies.

I would hope that the company will cover your medical insurance and any costs associated with your residency, although ours did not cover all the costs of the trips to the embassy in London to get documents attested and as we lived in Scotland, this built up.

In terms of apartments, my wife did all the searching as she arrived a couple of months before my daughter and I. We hoped to go down the furnished route but she couldn't find one that she was happy with and hence have rented un-furnished and furnished it ourselves, although we were lucky to have a re-location sum to enable us to do this .

In terms of saving that will depend on you and the lifestyle you choose! There is always the possibility of your partner working?

Message me if you want more info!

Hey guys, thanks a lot for the info.

Yep, I forgot to mention that 750kd only includes my residency as well as insurance. Hence, I've to do a thorough research on apartments if I want to live in a good area and close to my workplace--which on Salem Al-Mubarak St., Salmiya.

Also, I've to somehow cover my girlfriend's expenses: residency and insurance.

The job is in the finance industry. I was also told that the minimum salary I should accept is at least 900kd.

Also, how about living without a marriage? I heard that this is not allowed.

OK so the more money the better!! However in terms of living together unmarried you may have some issues, there are other threads on this forum with advice from people who know more about it, such as this one, https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=163915, as far as I understand it would be much simpler for you if your were married, maybe a visit to Gretna Green is in order!!

Your place of work is near where I live, and you should find something in the area, in the area is also a large supermarket, 24hours, a medical centre, the Marina Mall and Al Fanar shopping centre, so there is quite a lot going an around here!

Good luck with it all

Cliff I know some people who are not married the difficulty may be getting your girlfriend a residency visa as you cannot sponsor her and obviously it won't be a family visa.

In terms of money, 750 will be tight if you want holidays etc. If it is in the finance industry then it should include medical, emergency dental, living allowance on top of basic salary, annual bonus, first 3 months accomodation, driver to/from work for the first 3 months, relocation package etc. PM if you want to discuss further as I work for a local bank and can give you some rough ideas on what to expect.