Top Primary and High schools in Maurtius - information required!

Hi
We are looking to emmigrate to Mauritius. What are the top English schools both High school and Primary School. Are there any good dance academies/schools?
We are looking at the East Coast but any advise would be welcome.
Regards
Joanne

Hello Joanne.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Browsing the other threads on School & studies on the Mauritius forum might help.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hampstead School is found in Pamplemousses(North) & Beau Bassin(Center). High school is le Bocage & Ecole Du Nord.

Thank you. Are these English schools?

Regards
Joanne

Hi Joanne,

I would personally recommend Le Bocage (secondary) and Clavis (primary). Both schools are located in Moka...right down the street from each other. These two schools are International Baccalaureate World schools. My husband and I have both taught in the IBO for many years and I can personally say that it is top notch!!  Our son is at Clavis and my husband works at Bocage.   :) So far, I am very happy with both!!!
Hope this info helps. Please let me know if you have any questions. Good luck with your search!

Courtney. :)

Thank you Courtney. Will investigate online. Warm Regards Joanne

Check out Northfields, located in the middle of "The North". Exclusively English.

Thank you so much.

I should add, in case you don't know already, probably the most important factor is where you are going to live. Mauritius has a huge traffic bottleneck in Port Louis, which can take an eternity to cross in peak hours. For instance, if you decide to live in Tamarin or Black River, and send your kids to school in Northfields, then you are headed for big trouble.

The basic rule is, if you live in the North, then choose a school in the North, and if you live in Port Louis or south of Port Louis, then choose Le Bocage or other school in the South.

We actually did the opposite. We chose Northfields, and then we looked for a house in the North.

Good luck
Silvano

Alexander House has a excellent reputation and it's an English International school believe.

Hi!
We are an italian family and we'll move to Mauritius in January. We have a daughter. She's 7 years old and I'm looking for a good English Primary School.
My daughter doesn't speak English (only few words). I'd like a good school, I mean,  in the sense of Education and development for my baby. I also hope to find a school where she feels confortable, enjoying with schoolmate, playing sport, swimming or other activities.
We'll live in Albion and I was thinking aboute Alexandra's House or Clavis.
Which one do you suggest? do you know someone else better then these?
Somebody told me about Westcoast and Telfair but on the website I didi't find them such as interesting.
awaiting to hear from you soon
thank you

Hi
I don't have young children but met a lady whose children go to Alexandra House school at a dinner party the other evening, she was telling me all about it, that it was small, so children get lots of attention, lovely atmosphere and I think she said they only have 100 children in total - she said her daughter was on the waiting list for quite a while.

To me if a school has a waiting list, and has small numbers of children - then that's the school would choose. (my personal opinion)
Good luck :)

Hi smemoranda!

My son attends Clavis and he is very happy there. They have swimming built into their weekly schedule and lots of fun after school activities for the kids as well. My husband and I both teach in the IBO as well and we are very impressed so far with how Clavis is truly implementing the International Baccalaureate program.  My son's teacher is fantastic and she really does love children...you can just tell by her actions. It's fun to watch! 

I have also heard good things about Alexandra and the IB school in the north.

Also, we live in Albion and the school bus literally stops just outside our front gate, so it's very convenient!  Our son loves riding the bus (it's new for him!!), but if you want to drive, it will take you about half an hour each way for drop off and pick up.

Hope this info helps. Pease don't hesitate to PM me if you have other questions.

Best of luck with the move,

Rosiewestie wrote:

Hi
I don't have young children but met a lady whose children go to Alexandra House school at a dinner party the other evening, she was telling me all about it, that it was small, so children get lots of attention, lovely atmosphere and I think she said they only have 100 children in total - she said her daughter was on the waiting list for quite a while.

To me if a school has a waiting list, and has small numbers of children - then that's the school would choose. (my personal opinion)
Good luck :)

hy Rosiewestie,
thank you for your prompt reply,
I agree with  you and I think it'd be a good and lovely school. I sent them an email but thei replied they have no place available in January.
maybe I may fill in the application and hope in the waiting list, but I think it'll be very difficult to be succesfull.
the problem is that if I have no change there I 'll make an application at the Clavis. I have not lot of time
By

Yes maybe you should fill in the application form, you should email and ask them what the waiting list time is :)

CourtinUSVI wrote:

Hi smemoranda!

My son attends Clavis and he is very happy there. They have swimming built into their weekly schedule and lots of fun after school activities for the kids as well. My husband and I both teach in the IBO as well and we are very impressed so far with how Clavis is truly implementing the International Baccalaureate program.  My son's teacher is fantastic and she really does love children...you can just tell by her actions. It's fun to watch! 

I have also heard good things about Alexandra and the IB school in the north.

Also, we live in Albion and the school bus literally stops just outside our front gate, so it's very convenient!  Our son loves riding the bus (it's new for him!!), but if you want to drive, it will take you about half an hour each way for drop off and pick up.

Hope this info helps. Pease don't hesitate to PM me if you have other questions.
Best of luck with the move,

Hy Courtney,
thank for your help in this  matter.
Actually, I was particularly interested in Alexandra House School, but as they are full for January 2013.
I'm thinking about sending the application form for the waiting list or sending the application to the Clavis. They have place available now and I don't want to risk to loose also this chance.
As you say it seem to be a good school and we'll have the bus service just near the house. It' s a good think.
perhaps Alexandra house is also far from Albion
Anyway, thank you very much. I think about and I'll decide.
best regards

I teach at Clavis, it's good to read such words, thank u so much!

Hi!

We will be relocating from australia to Mauritius in June and I would love a little bit of info about pre primary schools in the grand baie, pointe aux cannioners area!

My Little 3 year old doesn't speak French but I would love for her to learn, are there any bilingual pre primary schools in the area?

Thanks!

Dear Silvano,
I just came across your contribution on this blog regarding
school transport.
We are planning to move to Mauritius by mid-August and our daughter has been admitted for 1.grade at NIHS.Now we have a problem with said school transport,as the the school is obstinately refusing to further any info in this regard except the email address of a certain Mr. Sohun.I have emailed him twice in the space of 12 months but never got a reply.So I am still lacking any precise info regarding bus operators available and routes operated/areas serviced.Very difficult to do any planning for housing on such a deficient basis.I even offered Mr.Sohun to communicate with me in French,but from a comment I got today from NIHS admin it seems this person understands only Creole.
Unbelievable that a prestigious (?) institution like NIHS trusts
such an essential service to a person like this.Best of all,when
NIHS enquired on my complaint of not having gotten a reply from him,he insisted that he had spoken to me last week on the phone..
only that he never got my phone number (in Singapore) nor had I ever been given his.So this guy seems to be a very dubious person,at least.
I don't expect you to enter into the details of this case (Mr.Sohun) but I would appreciate some general insights in the working of school transport to NIHS: Is there only this operator for all routes/ areas?Do they pick up and drop the kids at their home?Or do they have to gather at certain pickup points along the route?Are they flexible enough to add capacity and additional domiciles,if needed?Are the buses safe and have insurance  cover?Always speaking of the Norhtern litoral from
Balaclava in the West to Grand Gaube/St.Antoine/Melville in the East.Hope not to bother too much and appreciate your comments.
Regards
Volker

hi is Lebocage english speaking?
thanks

Yes, le Bocage is English speaking.

Hi Courtney
Just wanted to know how much the salary is for educators? I know it's a bit of a personal question, but I have to know. My husband has over 24 years experience in teaching and is an HOD. I myself am busy with my BED and would like to know what's the salary for their educators.

Hello,
We are family from Slovenia/Europe and we are moving to Mauritius. I have a few questions abaut school, becaus my son will be 13 years old in november and he have to go to school. I was thinking abaut regular school and he will problably have to go to secudndary school? i need some info abaut the documents that we need and some refrences abaut schools  maybe some school araund Port Louis.
When does the school year start there?

This is all for now.
Thank you in advance

hello., can you please mail me full details about your school., i would like to know how much will it cost for entry fees and how much will it cost per month of STD-5 i want would like my child to join your school from this term. please send your numb and mail me full details

faithfully....

pooja.

Hi

Have you moved to Mauritius and what was your experience with the schools and dance schools. We are from South africa and need assistance?? Thanks Ronel

Which private primary school has a lot of ex pat South African students?

Hello everyone,

@ arandolph, i have moved your post on this thread as it better suits your question. You may go through the upper posts till you get an update.

All the best
Bhavna

Hi!

In the west of the island you have westcoast international primary school with lots of expats. The other areas I don't know. I highly recommend westcoast.