Banks on strike again!

Bank employees' unions, principally CONTRAF, hold the Brazilian public for ransom every year. In 2011 a 20 day national bank strike virtually paralized the nation. This year again they have gone on strike for an 'indefinite period'.

As if this weren't bad enough the bank guards, cleaning staff, etc., all have their own unions too and each time they go on strike the banks close since tellers will not work in what they consider precarious conditions. The end result is banks simply close their doors two or three times a year in this country and the general public gets shafted. Of course you still have to pay your bills and it's up to you to find a way to do that. Perhaps if you didn't have to pay your bills the utility companies and others you need to pay would put the heat on unions and government.

I am all in favor of the concept of 'collective bargaining', however there is no such thing as baraining with unions in Brazil, they all feel they are more powerful than God himself. It is high time that the Brazilian government enact some kind of essential services legislation to curb union power and protect the public interest.

In a country which has the most complicated banking system in the civilized world, the poorest service and the outrageously high service charges and interest rates that Brazil does I really believe that Dilma and her cronies in Brasilia should take a lesson out of the US history books and look back to 1981 and the Professional Air Traffic Controllers Association strike that led then president, Ronald Regan to fire every last one of them and replace them temporarily with military until all new staff could be hired.

Sorry folks, but I seriously think that Dilma should PATCOize every last one of their lazy asses and replace them all. Nationalizing the banks and bringing in strict anti-union legislation for banks would also have my support.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

Hello Gene,

Yes, the Federal Police are still on strike too.

Seems like a gringo doesn't stand a snowball's chance in Hell here in 'la terra da greve'.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog