Overall help from anyone will be appreciated

Hey ya'll my name is Alexandra and I will be moving to Malta this October, along with my sister, for the first time as a student at the University.

Accommodation
Recently, I have been reading around this forum but haven't found much information about Msida. I found a 2 bedroom apartment for 380e a month in Msida from Simon Mamo real estate. Is that a reasonable price? Also, can the real estate agency be trusted? Is there something I should keep in mind when renting?? And is Msida a nice area to live in as students?

Cost of living
Is 1,200 USD a month a concrete amount to live on for two people?  And what have you found to be the best(maybe cheap but reliable) way to transfer money into a bank account in Malta from another foreign account? Utilities for two people a month average??

Any answer will be GREATLY appreciated guys. Also, any helpful information/advice is always welcomed! =)Thank you!

Msida has recently been all but washed away! If you do live there make sure its off street level and don't park a car on the road...

380 for 2 bedrooms is not bad. Be aware that estate agents charge 50% of a month as a fee.

Utilities - my wife and I pay on average €50 a month for water and electricity, we don't use gas. Internet is €25 a month. We spend probably €400 to €600 a month on living.

Hope this helps!

Whew! Good thing the apartment is on the 2nd floor. Thanks for the warning! And thanks for all the inside intel.

Are you coming here on your own? There are a few Americans around and about...

No, fortunately my sister is coming along with me. That's cool that there are Americans. So far I've only seen English. Not that I am complaining, it's just that I find it interesting that so many are here. Is England that bad?

There are a lot of Brits everywhere!

So England is that bad ;) Just kidding English peoples. God save the Queen!!

AKarydas wrote:

So England is that bad ;) Just kidding English peoples. God save the Queen!!

The queen is german not english

Hi AKarydas,

the rental offer and Simon Mamo are reasonable for Gzira area. The utilities depend on usage and could be 50 € /upwards without using AC.

1200 $ is about 850 € at the moment. Half goes for rent and utilities. The amount is definitly not enough to live on with 2 in Malta. As American students you are not allowed to work in Malta for the first year of your studies.

You will be living on an extremely tight budget!

Check out: www.an-american-in-malta.com

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks so much Ricky for all the helpful advice!
P.S Loved the blog!