When married to an Equadoriano

When married to an Ecuadoriano (and without having a residency visa) is it possible to come and go from the country freely. Any advice will be greatly welcomed as i cannot get any answers by searching GOOGLE and i wish to leave the country just for the month of December and that is when my non immigrant visa expires. I have yet to apply for the residency visa as still waiting on important documents in order to proceed. Thankyou!

Hi, I would find a good, English speaking attorney and get started ASAP with your permanent resident visa application even if you do not have all of your documents ready. I would highly recommend Maritza Reynosa de Wright who has an office in Guayaquil who is excellent and whose written communication skills allows one to deal with her even when one resides in another location.

From what I understand, you can have your tourist visa extended, but you have to do this while you are in Ecuador. I believe that if you leave with an expired visa that you have to wait another six months to apply for one before you can come back into the country. Good luck!

Stevemoss is correct. You need to start the process asap if you want to leave EC soil by december with an expired Visa. Having married an ecuadorian means you can move freely in and out of the country ONLY when said marriage supports your new legal status in a document. You may be required to stay in EC during until the processed is completed though...

The name of the nationality is "ecuatoriano" (not capitalized). Learning that would be a good place to start.

Jill Sare wrote:

The name of the nationality is "ecuatoriano" (not capitalized). Learning that would be a good place to start.

Jill, fortunately individuals are not as critical about my frequent language errors.