Canadian moving to sao paulo

hello i want to move to sao paulo but i want to visit first and rent an apartment for about 2 months, is it possible to get a nice 1 bedroom apartment in a good neighbourhood for about $700 a month Canadian in sao paulo

Hi and welcome to the forum  dayton goree !

Maybe you could post an advert in the Sao Paulo housing section.
It might help ;)

Regards
Armand

Sorry to burst your bubble Dayton, but not a chance.

Despite the fact that I see the good ol' Canadian dollar is steadily climbing when I go cash my CPP check here I lived in São Paulo for many years and know the rents. R$1400 might get you an average one bedroom apartment in some areas, but certainly not most. The reason for this is you have to consider the (separate) condominium fees and IPTU (property tax) payments that the tenant is responsible for. This is in many cases an amount almost equal the rent itself. Furnished apartments are almost unheard of here and when you do find one they cost a fortune.

As if that weren't bad enough there is no such thing as a short term rent. By law now rental contracts must be for 30 months. The only way around that is to rent directly from the owner without a contract which is almost unheard of. For a couple of months your only options are a residence hotel (still expensive) or finding a kitchenette in the area you like that fits the same 'direct with owner' situation.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

Hello Dayton!

Actually i have to say that my husband rented for 3 months a flat in the Moema neighbourhood in SP for not much more than this price. It was furnished. Although they said it was a one bedroom apartment, let's face it, there was sliding doors litterally around the bed haha no way this was really a "room", more like a one room with kitchenette place, but still was comfortable enough for short term and safe.

You have to look for places like hotels with flats. 700$CA is pretty tight, you might wanna rent just a room for that price.

Good luck!

Émilie

thanks for all the advice about me getting a place to stay for a couple of months for $700 canadian a month, i can stretch it out to even $1000 a month Canadian, i just want a good clean room in a relatively safe neighbourhood, i have been to Brazil a couple of times and because i am portuguese the locals always appear to interact with me as if i am native to brazil, but having said that i know that i am Canadian and need to take care to be safe, what are good neighbour hoods close

Hi Dayton,

$1000 CAD works out to just over R$2000, you should be able to rent an apartment in a fairly decent area for that, provided that it is not in a building that has condominium fees. I would suggest trying to find a small house direct through the owner. Going through a real estate agency which is the most common way owners put properties up for rent is futile. The realtor will insist on a 30 month contract and the paperwork you will need to provide is incredible.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog