Moving to Ecuador--Vilcabamba

I'm a retired single gent, tired of living in the USA for so
many reasons and have decided on Ecuador as my expatriation destination. I am particularly drawn to the Vilcabamba valley. I've
watched all available youtube videos and read everything I can find,
so I know there are cons as well as many pros about the area.
Do you live there or know about general conditions, living situations, specifically rental possibilities, costs of living, culture, or any helpful info? Ideally I'd like to rent cheaply and live modestly in Vilcambaba on my retirement income.
I'm learning Spanish, hope to be pretty fluent by later next year
when I'm ready to move.

Hi Refugee!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

I live in Loja about a 45 minute drive away. Vilcabamba is beautiful with a lot to offer, but it is a smaller community and not for everyone.

Best advice I could give is just come on down and check it out.

Rental market in Vilcabamba is very very tight. Prices have skyrocketed here.  Properties for rent and sale are at least 25% to 50% more than  other areas I have seen. Loja may have more rental options.

Hi everyone, My husband and I are seriously thinking about retiring to the Vilcabamba area in about a year with our two little Chihuahuas.  Was wondering how hard it would be to get them into the country?  Anybody have any actual experiences with traveling with dogs to Ecuador?  Can we take them in the passenger section of the plane with us?  What about taxis and buses?  One is 4 lbs and one is 6 lb and they are like our children. 

Also, are there any outer areas or suburbs of Loja that we could find a furnished rental house in that would accept our two dogs?  We would like a little land for a garden and some fruit trees.  I figure if you have to go to Loja once a week for supplies, why not just live in Loja, right?  It would be nice if somebody built a garden apartment building with 1 and 2 bedroom apts. just for relocating expats, so they would have somewhere to stay while scoping the area out.  I know it would be a big hit!

Thanks for any replies... just starting out and am a total novice about this relocating situation!  All I know is that we would love to relocate to Ecuador!  I wish I could just hire somebody to come to Florida and go with my husband and I and take us to Ecuador and drop us in a furnished rental in Loja or Vilcabamba!  Would make things so much easier bringing somebody with us that knows the ropes!  Anybody know any service like this?  For those expats looking to make some money, this may be a good income idea for you!

Judy at ActionMgt

you will get help I am sure.  I came a woman alone at well over 50  years old, a year ago....no problem. The dogs will need much work ....and try all the airlines to see who will let them on board. I doubt any will for international.  Try LAN, the very best carrier, I always take LAN.
I can make all arrangements in advance  for your trip once in Ecuador.   Don't be scared. When you want to come?
You need to contact Ecuadorian Embassy about dog regs.  And your vet.  I can easily find/handle  the rest.
What is your preferred rental budget?
I Can have you picked up at Quito airport and taken to $70 pernight 5 star  hotel in the best district of Quito...or straight to a fabulous Hot springs resort, with private cabins  to chill and enjoy the Andes for a few days, then go to Quito and book flight to Loja.... Do not fly to Guayaquil.
I was a liscenced Travel agent, and I know how to do this. I have helped many friends land and relocate, and have references.  There are great apartments near Loja.   But the gringo community there is sparse.  Vilcabamba is more peacefull, pristine, and larger expat communtiy.

That sounds great to me, when we are ready.  We'll have to keep in touch between now and then.  Our budget is probably around $500 but I can spend a little more if I have to.  I would like a small 2 or 3 bedroom home with a little land to grow a garden and plant some fruit trees, avocado trees, banana plants, etc  I am looking for a long term rental and do have the two dogs.  Do you think I might be able to find something in Vilcabamba, or is Loja a better shot?  Once I get there if I cant find what I want I can always grab something or a year and look around.  I wish they had rental listing places for these houses!!!  Would make it so much easier!  Maybe I'll start one when I get down there.  My husband and I were both Realtors in Cleveland for awhile.

Ok great... I am not sure how great a house you will get for $500, BUT IN lOJA THERE ARE LOWER PRICES. iN vILCABAMABA THE PRICES HAVE RISEN DUE TO DEMAND.... A YEAR IS A LONG TIME, MUCH CAN CHANGE.