Moving to HCMC Vietnam

Well I currently live in Minnesota USA.  I have a Bachelor of Science degree in Business.  Also have over 10 years accounting experience but no direct classroom teaching experience.  I already have a place with a nice family to rent a room from in HCMC.

That said my plan was to move down to Vietnam and then get my CELTA at Apollo English as it is close to where I will be staying. 

Is this a good idea?  Will I still have trouble finding work?  Also if teaching English does not work will there be any other jobs I could do that would at least cover my living expense?

I have many more questions but these are the biggest. From what I read having a place to stay seems like a big part of the stress of moving but I seem to worry about everything. 

Thanks for any help that you may have for me.

The full time CELTA experience is very intense.  Moving to a new part of the world and doing the CELTA is even more of a challenge.

Its just for 4 weeks.  How would you rank it to a regular college course?  Same or harder?  I was thinking it would be good to take it in Vietnam as they would gear it more to the local market. 

Much thanks.

hey Minnesota, that's exactly what I did! Did my CELTA at Apollo and then worked there for over a year. It's a good school but they have high expectations. The CELTA is a tough course but if you give it your all then at the end of the day, it's only a month. Apollo and ILA are the best 'entry level' school in saigon. Pretty much all the fresh CELTA graduates work at these but there are other schools to consider if you want a bit of an easier ride.

When you're doing the CELTA, get a place as near to Apollo as possible as this will make it much easier. I see you have a place already but if it's far from Apollo then it will make life much more difficult. Let me know if you need any more advice.

It's like drinking from a fire hose.

Agent much thanks as I am glad to know you.  I am now a bit worried about spending the money for the course and then not passing.  That would be so embarrassing for me.  The place I will be staying at shows up as 3.9km away.  I would think I could take a bus.  The family that I will be staying with will help me a bit to get around.  What do you think?

Lets say that I do go and pass the course.  Does Apollo help you find a job?  I see from what you said that you can take there CELTA and also work for them too. 

Overall how hard is it to find work after completing to class.

Also do you know how often people do not pass the class? Just wondering:)

Again thanks so much!

Also, get your college diploma authenticated so that you have that with you.  It's needed if you're going to get a work permit.  It can be done from VN, but likely easier in the States.  Also get a criminal background check done as well. 

Just prepare to keep your head down and studying for the 4 weeks.  Play time will be afterwards.  The instructors I had were good about letting people know if they were in danger of not passing.  We had a couple come close to it, but pulled themselves up. 

I laughed at the end when the instructors said they don't advise people to take the 4 week course.

Anh Map, you did bring up a great point about the diploma.  Right now I am having my college send me two notarized originals.  Is this enough or should I order more?  What do you recommend?

Minnesota wrote:

Anh Map, you did bring up a great point about the diploma.  Right now I am having my college send me two notarized originals.  Is this enough or should I order more?  What do you recommend?

They need to be authenticated.  State Secretary of State office and US Sec. of State office in DC. 

Other forum members have stated that you can have those docs stamped/legalized in HCMC.  I submitted them to the VN embassy here for stamping/legalization just because I was in DC anyway.

I did not realize that you had to have them stamped by the secretary of state office.  I am not near DC so I am not sure how I would do this.  Maybe I will do it in HCMC. 

Just one more question for you.  Do I just need my diploma or do I need all the transcripts from every school that I went too.

Much thanks!

Minnesota wrote:

I did not realize that you had to have them stamped by the secretary of state office.  I am not near DC so I am not sure how I would do this.  Maybe I will do it in HCMC. 

Just one more question for you.  Do I just need my diploma or do I need all the transcripts from every school that I went too.

Much thanks!

The sec. of state stuff cannot be done in HCMC.  The VN gov't legalization can be done in HCMC. 

You can FedEx/UPS your diploma from HCMC to your state capital and then to DC for the authentications.  Cheaper to do the mailings in the US.

your right...it gives you a chance to learn how to teach the viets as well

Apollo do not promise you a job after. What happened with our course was that after the course, the tutors recommended four out of six of us to the manager and we got offered jobs. All you have to do is work hard for the CELTA. I was up until 1-2am every night pretty much. If you put in the effort, you will pass no problem. I would probably try and stay a bit closer than 4km if I were you. It just takes the hassle away. There is a street 5 minutes walk away (17a Nguyen Thi Minh Khai). You can get a serviced room there for between $150 and $200 for the month. There are over 100 to chose from.

I would say that about 1/6 people fail. But the main reason is because they are too lazy and didn't realise how much work is involved. It's like taking your final university exams for an entire month. If you're a lazy person who likes things to come easy then don't do the course. Simple as. If you're prepared to work hard and can hack it then it can open up a whole world of opportunities. Also, try to do the pre-course task. It certainly helps. Above all, don't worry about failing. Just the fact that you have written on here and quite clearly shows that you are doing your research says to me you can pass. I kept all my work on computer. PM me if you want it. Don't tell anyone! ;-)

The CELTA course is a great teaching course to do, it's only 4 weeks yes, but it's a really instense 4 weeks. Basically I would advise getting settled there first as you really need to have nothing else going on in your life for those 4 weeks.

Besides the teaching jobs are there other jobs that are available to Expats?

the same as any other country, there is a plethora of jobs but it depends on what you're skills are. A friend of mine used to work in financial sales (health insurance I think) and then he worked as the corporate sales manager for a school. Other one's were restaurant managers, chefs etc etc

4km is too far away, with the traffic and all in Saigon. And travelling by bus can be quite unpredictable..
I would get a room down the road, like Agent1982 recommended.

Basically, the only thing I need to wait for is my college degree to be authenticated. Have to send it to a wait for it then send it out again.

For getting a room I would not have anyone to show me around.  I never been to VN before.  For me 4K seems to be close but I guess with traffic the way it is there is may be kind of hard.

Minnesota wrote:

For getting a room I would not have anyone to show me around.  I never been to VN before.  For me 4K seems to be close but I guess with traffic the way it is there is may be kind of hard.

Think of a giant ant colony, and that still doesn't do it justice.

The street Agent mentioned, 17a Nguyen Thi Minh Khai, is very central. I live and work nearby as well, so I'd be happy to show you around.
Trust me, the public buses here are Hell on wheels.

You two have me worried again.  I was thinking that the buses would be better than the motorcycles. Take a bus part way and just maybe walk a few blocks. 

Any way thanks as when I am there I will be sure to ask you to show me around.  I am sure I will get lost more than a few times.

just get a xeom (motorcycle taxi)

I heard about the motorcycle taxi's.  What do they cost?  May be good to use when I get lost.

they are very cheap. You're hosts will have one and it will take you to and from school and wherever you want. Don't worry. I'm talking about $1.50 to your house. Where exactly will you be staying btw? WHich district?

It is in PHUONG 1 QUAN 11.  Is it true you can get a monthly bus pass for just $8?

trust me dude...you dont wanna get a bus! I never got one in 2 years! Get a xeom and then get a scooter when you've learnt how the roads work. It's a lot of fun when you get used to it. I really miss riding in saigon and that's where I learnt to ride. It's like a computer game! You'll be right!

I heard that people get hurt on the xeom and such.  Not sure if I can do it.  Is it to hot for me to just walk?

Of course there are traffic accidents as on every road anywhere in the world...
Its ok to walk in the mornings, if not too far. I walk to work sometimes.
I also drive a scooter. Its not difficult to drive downtown, i never drove a scooter before i came here. Its a lot of fun and quick way to get around!

I have never rode a scooter before.  Will look into it.  Hope you don't need a licence for it.  Where do you park it when you get to your destination?

Why don't you simply jump on that plane and come over?

Just make sure you bring all your docs including Birth Certificate and Driving Licence and Letters of Reference. And make sure banking / access to money is sorted out.

You might get lucky and find there is no bus service handy, which will make your life easier. One decision less.

Worrying about the little nitty gritties is wasted energy. Tourists don't have all these concerns and they are on time constraints.

If you want things to worry about: Water - can you drink it; Mosquitoes - will they give you Dengue or Malaria; is the taxi driver insured for commercial use; can I use my US cell phone; what do I do if the taxi driver says he has no change; how do I know which restaurants are safe to eat in; how much should I tip; why won't they accept creased or marked USD bills; why won't they accept USD bills under $100; etc.!