Looking for a engineering job in toronto

Hi, I am from New York City, I am last year PhD in electrical Engineering and I am going to move to Toronto in 2 months. I am looking for companies related to optics, laser technology and photonics, even a teaching position will be ok. Please I need some advise of how to get a job in toronto according to my qualifications. Thank you

Hi hawayp,

I'd suggest you do extensive research on the likelihood of expats obtaining employment in Canada. It's not as easy as one thinks. Start with this thread:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=136140

Also, be aware that Canada requires certification to work as an engineer, something you or your employer will need to apply for, not sure on that. I do believe they ask for experience as well.

Unfortunately, you'll need to be certified to teach as well; they don't hire just like that.

The best thing you can do is obtain a job offer before leaving. Try contracting companies etc, as Canadian companies are reluctant to hire immigrants.

I've heard from expats that networking is VERY important, so try to see if you know someone or can make a contact with someone in a company who can get you in.