Schools and neighborhoods in Izmir

Hi all,
     My son, his daughter and I are moving to Izmir in June, 2013.  My grand-daughter will need to go to 8th grade, so we are looking for a school that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, but is excellent, of course.  Also, we will need to rent two apartments next to each other or close by.  My son is a disabled veteran and I help him from time to time.  We would appreciate any suggestions for a safe but nice area, not any high rises.

Hi, I also will be moving to Turkey and of June. I am Turkish and have been living in London since 1990 march.. I made a decision to come back to Turkey. I would suggest Bostanli. (It is in Karsiyaka side of the bay. It is safe to live there. The community is friendly. School wise there are colleges called Ozel Turk college, Amerikan kiz kolej, Camlaralti kolej as far as I can remember.. I am not sure my self if the education is completly English. This is my worry. There is a college in Bostanli called Ekin koleji. But I believe only college who gives completely English lesson is International College which I found very expensive. More expensive than my son's school fee in London!!!!
In Easter I am going to Turkey to see this schools hopefully. Apart from Bostanli in Karsiyaka I can also say Alsancak, Guzelyali, Bornova, Hatay is nice too. Good luck. Actually it would be good idea to keep in touch in Turkey. Don't you think so?

Berrin..

Narlidere also recently become very popular as it is outskirt of the city and it is by the sea..nice villas there..

"English medium school" is a biggest issue for foreigners in Turkey. Even the private schools do not offer subjects in English. However some schools belonging to embassies & consulates are English medium, but they are very expensive.

Hi Berrin,
    I'm sorry it's taken so long to get back to you.  I was having problems with a password and couldn't reply.  Thanks for your comments and offer to help.
We are not looking for an English/American school for Isis.  We  plan to live in Turkey permanently.  My son, Attila, is half-Turkish and retired as a disabled veteran.  We have been learning Turkish.  I used to speak it fluently some years ago while living in Konya but mostly in Istanbul.  Since then, I've been using other languages.  Now we are all focused on Turkish.  To get Isis into a private Turkish school, I am willing to teach English.
I sent out packets to seven schools, including my CV, so I am hopeful that one of them will hire me so that we can afford a private school for Isis.  Otherwise, she'll have to got to public school.  My son prefers to live in Guzelbahce in a villa or house.
However, it all depends on which school Isis will be attending.
It would be great to meet you in Izmir.  We are leaving Las Vegas for Izmir either the last week of May or first week of June.  Let's keep in touch.  Best regards, Grete

Thanks so much for your answers.  We do not want an English/American school for my grand-daughter.   She has to learn Turkish as fast as possible. We plan to live in Turkey permanently. If I can get hired or used as an educational/English consultant or if they need computer consulting, my son. Attila, can do that, then we might be able to get her into a private Turkish school.  Bakalim.
I hope to get answers to my letters from some schools.  If we still don't know which school she'll be attending by March, we'll rent a villa or house in Guzelbahce, Narlidere, or Buca.

I live in Izmir in Kusadasi and there are lovely neighborhoods and some schools not too dear you should try there I am a history and music teacher originally from Ireland who teaches in a school fluent in Turkish and English and Irish

Hello Ezma 13,
  Thank you for the information.  I would like to keep in touch with you.  We are both teachers!  I have taught ESOL, EFL, German, Linguistics, etc.  As a professor, I taught teachers, especially teachers of language.  I was brought up in Chicago, which used to be an Irish town.  We celebrated St. Patrick's Day seriously - with green dye put in the river running through the city, green beer, green shakes, you name it.  This coming St. Pat's I'll be making corned beef and cabbage, our adopted tradition. Tell me more about how much it would cost to rent a three-bedroom house in Kusadasi and for our 12-year old to attend 8th grade.  Best regards, Grete

Dear ABJSYED, you are right, they are very expensive. I still didn't decide which school to send him. As I am going on 24 of March, will do my search there. Does Brisitish Embassy has  school there? I didn't know. As Karlan is British I have to find out more about it. I am worrying he may forget his English or not to improve..

Hi Greter I would advise to rent villa in either Narlidere or Guzelbahce. I don't think you would like Buce as much as yould the other two. Karlan will be finizhing year 6 in July. In Turkey I do not know which year he has to start. O found a governmet form called "Denklik formu". I quess we have to do that. He is 10 years old now. Probably he will have to loose one year. :( Meetingin Izmir would be very nice. They can practise Englih/Turkisg perhaps. I also have a friend from Pennsylvania who live in Karsiyaka for long years. Take care.