Travel to surrounding countries

It's a strange situation but it's easier for me, as a woman, to spend time traveling in neighboring countries than in KSA!

Any, I just got a multiple entry visa and plan to put it to good use!!

I'll be looking for 'travel chums' for 3-4 day long-weekends to Bahrain, Dubai, maybe Jordan, etc.

Email me if this is something you're interested in and--needless to say--NO HNG's!! (common net acronym meaning 'horny net geek')!

HNG's?
is that Post Graduate?

Hey Allie,unfortunately with my job, my schedule means I often have to work weekends. But my flatmate and I are planning a weekend trip to Jeddah in early December. Of course any other opportunities I can get to travel around not only the kingdom or  outside to other areas/countries I would grab the opportunity. So if there is any else out there interested in travelling together, let yourselves be known. By the way, Alliecat, are we the only ladies on this website, have not heard from many others?

Alliecat & Sans70

I LOVE to travel and will gladly join you on the trips.  I will be in-country next week (until 19 Dec) to set up our house and then back after the holiday in January for the long term.  I already have a multi-entry visa and plan to make the most of it.  See you all soon!  :)

I leave tomorrow for a week exploring Cairo--see you all next week!

Say Hi to Nefertiti, fr me please..... Have a Blast puddytat

Enjoy yourself!:)

Alliecat wrote:

I leave tomorrow for a week exploring Cairo--see you all next week!

Cairo is kind of noisy city... but it is fun

enjoy it

And stay away from those Egyptian drivers. If you think driving in Saudi is suicidal wait till you get to Cairo... heh heh

Good Luck and have a Blast!

Ok, just a question, are we talking about a multi-entry visa and not a residency visa or am I confused?
If it's a visa, could you please oh please tell me how did you manage to rent a house? I have a MEP and I can't for the life of me rent a place.
On the other hand, buzz me if you find yourself headed towards Beirut 24th-4th Dec.
Cheers

Yes, its a Multi-entry visa.  I beleive we got lucky on the house.  We made two trips (Jul & Sep) to Riyadh, knowing we would be living in the city within the next 6 months.  We visited every compound in the city, got to know the managers and continued the contact.  I must say we were initially very concerned because everywhere we went we were told - there are no vaciencies and the wait is 6-18months.  It was very discouraging.  The lessons learned are patience and percistance.  Don't give up and stay positive!  Be sure to stay in contact with the Compound Managers and fill out all the registration forms you can.  This way your on their list in case an opening comes up.  Your company should also be assisting you with housing - don't let them off the hook.
What type of housing are you looking for so if I hear of something thats available, I can pass it along?
Best of luck!

Hiya CAF,

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply (and sorry for hijacking the thread =/). I think I have a different type of visa, it is a multi entry visa but it is not a residency visa, so my problem is double. No one will accept renting a place, AND if I could I can't find a vacancy in a compound.
I honestly don't care anymore beyond this point as I'm staying in the hotel, paying upwards of 500/day so anything goes really at this point. Added to that, I leave town every other weekend so compound is not a must.
Thanks for your reply again and for your assistance.
Cheers

Soltero

You are welcome.  I will ask the compound manager if they have any apartments available for future reference.

All

We are heading to KSA on Monday!  YEA!!!  We will be incountry until the 17th setting up the house.  I would love to get together with you all for coffee and hear all about the dos & don'ts, where to shop and all about Alliecats travels. 

Tell me, since its EID, will the shops be open or closed?  I need to find some furniture, electronics & kitchen ware.  Please advise if you have any recommendations.  Many thanks!

All the shops, malls, fast food outlets and bazaars will be open wide during the next few days before Eid. The only days they may remain closed are the actual days of Eid which fall on Fri, Sat and Sunday (Nov 27, 28 & 29), although some may reopen by Sunday. Shops will remain closed for 10 to 15 minutes during all prayer times, of course, as we all are aware.

Happy Eid Shopping!

I can offer a trip to Bahreyn any weekend (means Friday) to have some UNKNOWN drinkable liquids, but I am very curious about the customized ! regulations !! how to trip with the other kind in the same car within KSA..

Really is it possible !

And stay away from those Egyptian drivers. If you think driving in Saudi is suicidal wait till you get to Cairo... heh heh

WOW, you sure were right about this, musicman.  Those people are INSANE!  And what's worse, they've removed the passenger's seatbelts to scare us even MORE!

I did a short video of a trip to the train station--if it's any good (ie. if it does the insanity justice), I'll post it to utube and give you the link!

Alliecat wrote:

WOW, you sure were right about this, musicman.  Those people are INSANE!  And what's worse, they've removed the passenger's seatbelts to scare us even MORE!

I did a short video of a trip to the train station--if it's any good (ie. if it does the insanity justice), I'll post it to utube and give you the link!

:lol:

I didn't want to scare you over my trip to Egypt but I guess I'd never go back there!

for two weeks I couldn't have a decent conversation with my wife :lol:

welcome back...

Thanks for the WB, DS.

What's even more interesting is the traffic cops!  They stand there, watching pedestrians trying to cross four lanes of traffic (it's like playing 'Frogger'; ie., one lane at a time lol), almost being KILLED as cars whiz by .. and do you think they do anything to help?!?!?  Maybe if I'd offered a tip?  LOL

They say the BEST remedy for Constipation is to take a short drive on any of the Egyptian roads.... heh heh

I guess that will put all the doctors out of biznez?

Alliecat wrote:

Thanks for the WB, DS.

What's even more interesting is the traffic cops!  They stand there, watching pedestrians trying to cross four lanes of traffic (it's like playing 'Frogger'; ie., one lane at a time lol), almost being KILLED as cars whiz by .. and do you think they do anything to help?!?!?  Maybe if I'd offered a tip?  LOL

:lol:

I was going with my wife to what so called a tourism restaurant. so the driver just pulled over to drop us at the restaurant... all the sudden I was surprised with a Cop opening the door for me saying "Hello my prince!" I was like what?

then he looked at me like... where is the darn tip?!

I pulled 1 pound and handed to him... then he said... is the appreciating of the prince!!

then I told me... take or leave it!

:/

It was funny though

I was walking down the street in Luxor.  There was an old man pushing a cart and a broom, cleaning the streets (a highly unusual sight in Egypt, I think!).  He looked at me and began to rub his thumb and forefinger together in the universal sign for 'give me money' !!

So.. I should give him money for doing his job and cleaning the streets of his city??

THAT, in my opinion, was the worst 'tip mongering' I saw!

What would the Pharaoh have done if he was still in power, I wonder?

Wouldn't have been an issue in his time as these were the very people slaving away building the pyramids!  At the end of the day, they were far too tired to approach tourists and rub their thumbs and forefingers together.  :D:D:lol::lol:

Maybe we should bring a King Tut look alike back?