The American Dream

what does the american dream mean to you ?

good job, nice house, beautiful loving wife

High taxes, very bad medical care system, immorality...

Apart from those...

The lifestyle presented by Hollywood movies...

American Dream?

serve for america in the military, full 4 years honerable service, 70% disabled, and get a pention for the rest of my life!!!!! For reality, dont get paid enough to survive on my own, live as a berden on my family, never find love because of my situation!!

Amarican Dream is what forgeners have when they want to live here!

The truth is i have found more freedom and peace in another country! My Amarican Dream is to never go back to Amarica!

Sorry for the downer

gokhanTheConqueror wrote:

Apart from those...

No, that would be your nightmare - not your dream.

leebeme wrote:

American Dream?

serve for america in the military, full 4 years honerable service, 70% disabled, and get a pention for the rest of my life!!!!! For reality, dont get paid enough to survive on my own, live as a berden on my family, never find love because of my situation!!

The truth is i have found more freedom and peace in another country! My Amarican Dream is to never go back to Amarica!

Sorry for the downer

The military service comment made me have a bit of sympathy for you. However, after further review it appears your "Amarican" dream never existed because how could you possibly live in the USA an not know how to spell A-M-E-R-I-C-A-N.

Gobble Gobble!

:D

usmc_mv wrote:
leebeme wrote:

American Dream?

Sorry for the downer

The military service comment made me have a bit of sympathy for you. However, after further review it appears your "Amarican" dream never existed because how could you possibly live in the USA an not know how to spell A-M-E-R-I-C-A-N.

Gobble Gobble!

Greetings,
It is possible that this person might be dyslexic, or have problems spelling. IMHO, I can't see how you can make a definate accusation when you really do not know all the details. I'm just viewing this from both sides.  Gobble Gobble to you as well.......

100% correct love2travel4sure and thank you!!

USMC_mc: semper fi, no hard feelings, as they say here in the Philippines" joke joke" (even if bad joke) but honest, I may be sour at the government (MAYBE, LOL) however I would never change it! I am a better person!

omg btw an amazing movie about the torments of dyslexica however I hate the music and found myself fastfording (LINKED BELOW)! Like this kid, iI had hidden talents myself but mine was poetry, funny enough! (Spending a life avoiding the use of words I could not spell thought me that) PS: truly no hard feelings to you USMC_mv

http://www.google.com.ph/url?sa=t&sourc … DsUYTJWRcg

Today is my first Thanksgiving not with my family so I'm in a bit of a mood... My apologies... What really matters is happiness. If you are happier in the Philippines then that's what matters!

Freedom and personal liberty.

Anyone born in the United States can become president.  You don't have to come from a rich family or have any special title or peerage.  When someone who was born poor rises to power, they don't have to worry about being overthrown by a coup or declared illegitimate because they don't have the right background.

Anyone born elsewhere who comes to the United States can become as successful as they want.  The United States puts no limits on how much you can succeed.  You don't have to come from any particular country to do well.  You don't have to have rich parents to be successful.  Success in America only cares about how hard you're willing to work.  That's the American dream.

I have to say being allowed to do things.

I just recently moved to Saudi Arabia and the loss of freedom is frustrating. Yes I get a maid part time & my daughter's school paid for, but being forced to where an abaya (so far I haven't had to cover my head), not being allowed to drive, and being seen as someone whose opinion doesn't matter is very irritating. Oh & only the mother.

stressedmom wrote:

I just recently moved to Saudi Arabia and the loss of freedom is frustrating. Yes I get a maid part time & my daughter's school paid for, but being forced to where an abaya (so far I haven't had to cover my head), not being allowed to drive, and being seen as someone whose opinion doesn't matter is very irritating. Oh & only the mother.

And of course you knew these things about SA before you moved there, but you figured it was worth it because of what you got in return.  What did you get by trading in your freedoms mentioned?

Mugtech -
I did know what to expect, but it is still a shock when you get here.

The trade off is that my husband who is a highly qualified engineer was able to get a job (originally we were going to Dubai). We were living in Las Vegas where there were no jobs for him and any in the states he applied for he was either to expensive to hire or was beat out by others with more experience. We also were given housing whic h again we due to being in Vegas we had to do a short sale since we bought in 2006 for twice what it was worth in 2013.

Again the company pays for my daughter's schooling is also huge since she is 4 and learning English, Arabic, & French.

Hopefully the reasons you listed will make it worthwhile to be treated as a second class citizen.  Hopefully you can remind yourself of the good reasons to be there when you are reminded you are a lesser person.  Best of luck in your struggles.

usmc_mv wrote:

Apart from those...

gokhan,

Is lost somewhere between Kirk Cobain, and Jim Morrison, neither turned out well in the end...

The fantasy of America, is Hollywood. [ Nothing ] to do with reality. On any level.

The reality of America, very hard work, if one is cut out for it. America ain't for everybody, despite the "give us your cold huddled masses" story-line. Truth is we don't want them, don't like them, and absolutely positively don't [need] them. Yes, she's beautiful, "America The Beautiful" but she's a lot like Mother Nature: A very tough Mother....indeed.

stressedmom wrote:

Mugtech -
I did know what to expect, but it is still a shock when you get here.

The trade off is that my husband who is a highly qualified engineer was able to get a job (originally we were going to Dubai). We were living in Las Vegas where there were no jobs for him and any in the states he applied for he was either to expensive to hire or was beat out by others with more experience. We also were given housing whic h again we due to being in Vegas we had to do a short sale since we bought in 2006 for twice what it was worth in 2013.

Again the company pays for my daughter's schooling is also huge since she is 4 and learning English, Arabic, & French.

""We were living in Las Vegas where there were no jobs for him and any in the states he applied for he was either to expensive to hire or was beat out by others with more experience.""

America! Is a very difficult environment...PEOPLE, need to understand this. I realize the impoverished, see her as...

"The Shining City On A Hill"

This is an illusion. Relative poverty in the Third World, is acceptable and viewed by most everyone as OK. In America, they are viewed as the "Untouchables" to be scorned, mocked, and avoided.

It is not the same....Relative Poverty!

Ramblingroads wrote:
usmc_mv wrote:

Apart from those...

gokhan,

Is lost somewhere between Kirk Cobain, and Jim Morrison, neither turned out well in the end...

The fantasy of America, is Hollywood. [ Nothing ] to do with reality. On any level.

The reality of America, very hard work, if one is cut out for it. America ain't for everybody, despite the "give us your cold huddled masses" story-line. Truth is we don't want them, don't like them, and absolutely positively don't [need] them. Yes, she's beautiful, "America The Beautiful" but she's a lot like Mother Nature: A very tough Mother....indeed.

Very well said. If you expect a free ride or skate through life without exerting any effort, any hope of the American Dream will not come. I don't know many other places (yes, there are some besides the USA) where a person can go from rags to riches despite so much in their way, yet still manage to overcome it all. These people are usually immigrants themselves. Those are the ones that worked and never gave up.