Why Ecuador is a 3rd world?

[moderated: please keep this kind of comment for you]

NORVIATO1, I hope this is not your last entry,I enjoy reading your comments. I read shOman with some interest also though I am not a bitter person and can only wonder if people who are would have been different under other circumstances. I also read you and shOman in other post, would like for you to continue posting but not in rebutal with shOman. What can you tell us about safety in Cuenca and Manta, we know it is not like Switzerland,few places are, we have been in Egypt,Israel,Lebanon and Turkey at bad times so we are not the nervous type but do you need to live in a building with full time gaurds as I have read, what is it like to travel in the moutains, we would like to see the moutains and the people in the area. Does Cuenca have the music I read about, I never see it mentioned in these post. What are your thoughts on how much the present and future presidents will change things in Ecuador. I know no one has a cristal ball but there are some very thoughtful people on these post and it would be interesting to hear what they have to say. shOman seems to be an inteligent person, I would like to see what he has to say with out the bitterness, he doesn't need it to express himself.
Well enough of that, I hope to hear from you.

Welcome, Coloradobill.
Look, I made my mission in this forum to show a contrast to popular expat relocation sites like internationalliving, escapeartist etc. Because what others can tell you, you can imagine it yourself, to hear what I can tell you, you need to live and work here. Let me just say that I am no bullshit person, and I'm going to tell you just like it is.
I lived in US all my life, I love it and miss it dearly... I lived in a dozen of countries (I call "live" more than 6 months stay) and will live in many more. For the last 4 years I live in Ecuador, and I have 24/7 business relationship with other businesses and my employees. So whatever I experience, you will too to some degree.
Well, that was my welcome speech... Ecuador is certainly a good place to consider for visiting and retirement. Like I said before, it has a decent balance of being modern and unspoiled at the same time. If you want more safistication or security in Latin America you'll have to pay more for it (I mean countries like Chile or Panama).
OK, any specific questions, will be glad to help.
Cheers.

Thank you shOman, there are many questions but mainly for my wife, she was with me in some uncomfortable places and never complained but the next move seems will be harder. I would like to make Ecuador a base to visit other South American countries. I have never been to South America but certainly will be there if I don't die first. By the way, the way you answered my post is the way I thought you would be, thank you, I hope when I get there we get to meet you.

Bill

Ok guys, enough of negative aspects of life in Ecuador.

We'll now concentrate on positive aspects.

-discussion closed-

Please remember that the aim of this website is to help people in living abroad (complaining systematically doesn't help)

Closed