Dreading my next visit to Riyadh

I'm soon making my fourth visit to Riyadh, spending a full weekend this time, and dreading it. 

The only interesting colleagues in the office are the native daughters, but I don't count on them for social relief.  The guys are mainly dull expats from the Philippines, India or Pakistan, and tell horror stories about being a single man in Riyadh.  The few native sons are either averse to social contact with my sort or are total wastoids (professionally, I'm appalled at the overall lack of drive in the Saudi men folk, and put all my faith in the women to maintain what I've built after my project is launched)

I'm packing some books, but think it would be a shame to spend my 48hrs of free time in my hotel room.  I like getting out and experiencing other cultures, but I don't get the impression that Riyadh wants any part of me.  I've rented a car each time I go and am reckless enough to drive it, but I am not so stupid as to venture out into the desert alone. 

Should I just write off Riyadh completely and plan on reading?  Or is there a reason to leave my hotel on the weekend?

What kind of horror stories? What's wrong or hard about being a single man in Saudi other than you don't get to fraternise with the opposite gender- I wouldn't call that horrific.

Are you Saudi native that has left and can now only tolerate short hotel stays in his motherland lost in a book? If that's the case, that's sad. I mean when I go back home even if my immediate family are not around, there are distant relatives and old family friends whose company I find great pleasure in.

Why would it be risky for a man to venture out into to desert?

I'm sorry you posted to get some advice but I've returned with questions, I'm simply confused and I can't help your dilemma but maybe u could help me out with mine.

GoneNative wrote:

I'm soon making my fourth visit to Riyadh, spending a full weekend this time, and dreading it. 

The only interesting colleagues in the office are the native daughters, but I don't count on them for social relief.  The guys are mainly dull expats from the Philippines, India or Pakistan, and tell horror stories about being a single man in Riyadh.  The few native sons are either averse to social contact with my sort or are total wastoids (professionally, I'm appalled at the overall lack of drive in the Saudi men folk, and put all my faith in the women to maintain what I've built after my project is launched)

I'm packing some books, but think it would be a shame to spend my 48hrs of free time in my hotel room.  I like getting out and experiencing other cultures, but I don't get the impression that Riyadh wants any part of me.  I've rented a car each time I go and am reckless enough to drive it, but I am not so stupid as to venture out into the desert alone. 

Should I just write off Riyadh completely and plan on reading?  Or is there a reason to leave my hotel on the weekend?

Surely it can't be worse than villiers le bacle in Essone? ;-)

Btwn-Fear-N-Hope wrote:

What kind of horror stories? What's wrong or hard about being a single man in Saudi other than you don't get to fraternise with the opposite gender- I wouldn't call that horrific.

Are you Saudi native that has left and can now only tolerate short hotel stays in his motherland lost in a book? If that's the case, that's sad. I mean when I go back home even if my immediate family are not around, there are distant relatives and old family friends whose company I find great pleasure in.

Why would it be risky for a man to venture out into to desert?

I'm sorry you posted to get some advice but I've returned with questions, I'm simply confused and I can't help your dilemma but maybe u could help me out with mine.

Perhaps horror might be a strong word, but the stories are told by men who have been living in Riyadh as outsiders for a decade or more.  Their stories are sad.  These aren't the highly qualified and highly paid expats.  These are the workaday, send your money home types.

I'm not a saudi native.  I'm very much a westerner, and am acutely aware being conspicuous on the streets of Riyadh.

Yeah, after sunset the streets are normally filled with vampires

I see, I pray those men find happiness and get reunited with their families. I guess separation is hard on all even the stronger gender.

And yes your boredom makes sense knowing your a westerner. Hmm since I've never been I can't make suggestions- but eating out and checking out local shops/ markets would be my personal past times. Guess if your hotel has gym/ swimming pool those might be appealing too. Beats reading a book day and night

michaelpakenham wrote:

I'm a proud Villebaclais.  And so was Leonard Foujita

GoneNative wrote:
michaelpakenham wrote:

I'm a proud Villebaclais.  And so was Leonard Foujita

You live and learn ! As they say in French - je mourirai moins con ! :-)

slyshooter wrote:

I thought Halloween was banned ;-)

Iam just a bit confused here...where are you from ''Originally?'' if I may ask...

And by the way being an expat (workday or highflyer) its a choice...

michaelpakenham wrote:
slyshooter wrote:

I thought Halloween was banned ;-)

Sorry but I am like : hahahahahahahaha

Maybe this is a stupid suggestion, but have you been to the National Museum?  I love that place.  Granted, it's not the kind of thing that keeps a person occupied every day lol but ... since you're only in Riyadh for 48 hours, do it!

(btw, I agree with your opinion re Saudi women)

Alliecat wrote:

Maybe this is a stupid suggestion, but have you been to the National Museum?  I love that place.  Granted, it's not the kind of thing that keeps a person occupied every day lol but ... since you're only in Riyadh for 48 hours, do it!

:rolleyes: You're sugesting on EB 9756th time.

@TLL  yes.. as I said:  I LOVE THAT PLACE! :D 

Not a whole lot of cultural/educational things to do in Riyadh--that's why I like the museum so much :)

Alliecat wrote:

(btw, I agree with your opinion re Saudi women)

Not a stupid question, I haven't.  I prefer people and real life, but don't shy away from high-browed stimulus.  I'll put it on my list.

K. Belgaid wrote:

Iam just a bit confused here...where are you from ''Originally?'' if I may ask...

And by the way being an expat (workday or highflyer) its a choice...

I'm originally from Surf City USA, but have been cultivating my expatitude for the last 12 years in Germany and France.

do you golf

boxer186 wrote:

do you golf

I try

Lots to do at weekends in Riyadh you just need to be in the know :cool: After a fortnight away I hit the sandpit on Friday!

Martin Fin wrote:

Lots to do at weekends in Riyadh you just need to be in the know :cool: After a fortnight away I hit the sandpit on Friday!

Is that your quad biking again Martin ? :-)

Maybe not sure! But definatly hash and out running! Too much over endulgence on holiday! :D

Martin Fin wrote:

Maybe not sure! But definatly hash and out running! Too much over endulgence on holiday! :D

Is running possible in THAT heat ? !!!

if your heading riyadh - we can meet up olaya st/tahliyah st.. things to see there u will enjoy... riyadh is a good place !