Question on Morality Certificate and Installement Sale

Hello All!

I have 2 questions that I would like to find out about.

1. I am South african married to a Mauritian, per the Passport office I am required to obtain a Morality certificate from SA. has anyone done this before, how long does it take to receive the document, and where can I get this done.

2. Where can I buy a car on financial installments, with a minumum deposit?

thank you very much.

Welcome to Expat.com James147258!

Hope that you'll soon be enlightened.

Fingers crossed,
Harmonie.;)

Hi There James!
I am a British citizen married to a Mauritian and no one in Mauritius could tell me exactly what a Morality Certificate was when I first asked. The UK police told me just to get a certificate proving I had no criminal convictions from my local constabulary - in my case it was Derbyshire Police in the UK. I completed the form, paid  nominal fee and included it with my list of other documents when I applied for Residency.
This was accepted with no problem and I got Residency within 2 months.
I imagine its similar in SA.
Not sure if you are applying for residency?
Car I can't help with - we also need one!
Daisymay :)

Hi,

Same for me. I'm french, and I just gave them a copy of my criminal record. No problem so far!

Hi James, you need a police clearance certifcate from SA. Best to contact your local police station. Normally takes 6-8 weeks.

Hi James,

Our local Police Station in Ireland gave us the form.  You fill it out listing all your previous address's.  They then check it all and issue you with your Police Clearance Form or Morality Certificate as it is known in Mauritius.  If I remember correctly the form the Police gave us said "This is not for Employment".  There must be two types of form.  Also I think it is only valid for three months from the date it is issued.  That is the Irish one but your local Police in South Africa will be able to advise you once you tell them what you need it for.

Steph.