How long is my Brazil visa valid for?

Thanks very

On the visa sticker it has my old passport number, when you get a new passport they give you a new passport number. Also it's pasted inn very right I doubt it can be removed.
Good luck and thanks for your help

In that case I presume then you would also need to carry your old passport that has visa; or apply to the Consulate for a duplicate (Segunda Via) of the original visa to be placed in the new passport. Surely, they will want to charge for that if they can even issue a duplicate.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

hi willam..how can i get my RNE here in brazil..im here almost 2 years...i have already my cpf and a small restaurant here in brazil with cnpj..i want to have my RNE but i dont know where i can get...thanks..

Hi vegielcastillo,

The RNE (Registro Nacional de Estrangeiro) is part of the Permanent or Temporary Visa process and you get it from the Federal Police. Two years? Guess you're in for some problems if you haven't already registered - it must be done within 30 days of arrival in Brazil.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif

thanks william...do you think i need to pay some due or tax...last time i get my protocol number only in the internet for policia federal appointment but dont have validity...i used that number of procol for open my bank acount in santander and itau...but i dont where i can get the permanent card or i dont know when i can get that rne....thanks so much...

If you have already applied for the Permanent Visa and Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro (CIE) you need to check the Federal Police website www.dpf.gov.br at the bottom of the page on the right side under Estrangeiros is "Consultar Andamento de Emissão de CIE" you click on that and in the next window enter the number under the bar code on your protocolo to see if your ID is ready.

Actually your RNE number should already be on the protocolo.

Hi,
I am from Pakistan. I got my visa from Brazilian Embassy with Pakistani passport for study purpose. It has my picture, name, dob, and date of issue. the details are;
Type
Multiplas, VITEM iv

Duration of Stay
3 Meses
first entry within 90 days of date of issue.

No validity or expiry date is mentioned. Will I have to come back after the 90 days? Will I h to apply for extension or renewal of my visa within Brazil? Thanks!!!
I applied for one-year course of study.  So 90 days are not enough.

Hi Sakraan,

Yes, if you don't request an extension (Prorrogação de Estada) before the 90 days are over you must return home (or leave for some other country for which you hold a valid visa). You can extend the visa if you are continuing in a course and it is verified by the school. That is done at the Regional Superintendency of the Federal Police, Dept. of Foreigners nearest where you live and should ideally be done a week or more before your 90 days expire.

William James Woodward, Brazil & Canada Expert - Expat-blog Team

But I have to come back to Pakistan for my extension/renewal of visa? Or I will h to request to federal police staying in Brazil?

No, you can request the extension of the VITEM IV Student Visa at the Federal Police, it will be renewed for 90 days, you will have to return every 90 days to extend your stay until the end of your course. That's the way they work, you must continue in the course and prove that. If you drop out then at the end of the current visa stay you'd be required to leave the counrty.

some students say that they may renew it for one year. is it true?
Special thanks for ur guidance and quick reply!!!!!

Hi Sakraan,

It depends on the course one is taking, also the officer at the Federal Police you will only know how long they will extend the visa when they tell you.

special thanks!!!!

hey wjwoodward!

I have a question for you. I was able to extend my tourist visa in volta redonda so i was given 90 more days on it. i just got back to the states and i have calculated everything and i still have 70 days left on my visa from the 180. Im going back to brazil at the end of this month BUT i just want to make sure i wont have trouble getting in. From the research that i've done it looks like I wont because we're allowed multiple entrees right?

No problem at all...... see my private message for further info.

Cheers,
William James Woodward

Hello,

I also have a similar question...

I am wondering what the validity periods are for Brazilian Tourist Visas for Australians?  Having a lot of trouble finding this info

I have just gone through a costly and stressful ordeal being denied entry to Brazil because my tourist visa was only issued for 3 months from the date of issue... It seems that a lot of Brazilian Tourist Visas are valid for 5 or 10 years so I am puzzled as to why my visa was only 3 months :/

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

I think where your problems stemmed from is the fact that all Brazilian visas require the holder to make their FIRST ENTRY into Brazil within 90 days (3 months) of their issue date or they become invalid. I presume that you didn't do that.

The length for which a Brazilian visa remains valid, for some strange reason, has never been clearly stated on any visa except VITEM temporary visas. Tourist visas are valid for 5 or 10 years, depending on the citizenship of the holder. I have no idea how long Australian visas issued to Brazilians are valid. That you should be able to find out rather quickly by contacting your country's immigrations authorities or the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in Australia.

Thanks wjwoodward,

I had entered Brazil within the 90 days of the issue date , however I am trying to return to Brazil for another holiday!

I will check out the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in Australia.

Hi wjwoodward,

My husband's visa (vitem V) was issued early august in Australia. He entered Brazil in September, stayed 72 days and then flew back to Australia (therefore, 28 days remaining on visa)
With only a few hours notice he had to fly back Brazil to replace someone but on arrival at the airport the airline would not let him fly as they said the visa was only valid for 90 days. When his company applied for the visa they were told by the consulate that this visa would allow a total stay of 90 days within a 180 day period. Having read the description of the vitem v on the Brazilian Embassy of Australia website it says that the duration of stay can be up to two years (if extensions granted). I have since discussed this with the airline who now agree that he could fly. I would like your opinion as to whether you think he would be granted entry to Brazil (the consulate will not offer any assistance!).

His visa states the following:

No De Entradas/No of entries
MULTIPLAS

Tipo Do Visto/Type of Visa
VITEM V

Prazo De Estada/Duration of stay
90 Dias

Further down it says:

Visto Valido Por 90 Dias/Visa Valid for 90 days

It is this last line that was the basis for the airline refusing to allow my husband to fly. No one is sure whether this means the visa expires after 90 days or if it is another way of saying the duration of stay cannot exceed 90 days.

Your assistance is much appreciated!

Hi goldie,

And it is exactly that very last line (which is completely incorrect anyway) that is the cause of so many problems with visas in Brazil.

It is simply a re-stating of the line "Prazo de Estada/Duration of Stay" and should have been eliminated totally. However Brazilians that are involved in immigrations aren't intelligent enough to have figured that out yet. The "validity" of any visa isn't even stated on the document anymore. It may be 5 or 10 years and depends on how long visas issued to Brazilian citizens by your nation are valid.

Another thing thing I'd like to make absolutely clear is that it is NOT the airline's responsibility nor is it their right to say if any visa is valid or not since they are not immigrations authorities, their sole responsibility is to provide passage. I would check with a lawyer and see if you are entitled to seek damages against the airline.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil & Canada Expert, Expat-blog Team

Hi ajlynch or wjwoodward

Did you ever find out from the Brazil Consulate if the tourist visit is valid for 5-10 years for Australians? I am in the same boat. I went to Brazil last year and was told that it was valid for multiple entries for 5 years, but the 5 or 10 years is no where to be seen on the Visa. Have read that the Odd person has not been able to fly to brazil with the miscommunication of the validity on the Visa.  Aron

You're right, the period for which a visa is valid does not appear on the visa. That's because it depends on the validity period of a visa that your country puts on a visa issued to Brazilians. The only real way to find out is either to ask the Consulate that issued your visa or to ask your county's immigrations department how long a Tourist Visa they issue to Brazilians is valid for.

I know it makes no sense, but that's just like a lot of things about Brazil.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

At the bottom of my visa it says:

VISA VALID FOR 10 YEARS FROM THE DATE OF ISSUE.

My visa was issued October 2011 and therefor it is valid for 10 years from that date.

I have yet to see ANYONE from the United States not receive a 10 year tourist visa. It is in the paragraph of writing at the bottom of the passport - it starts off in Portuguese and then spells it out in English.

This is exactly what my visa looks like, and what everyone else's looks like that I have seen. It is not my name and picture though. :)

Matt-

http://globe-trekking.com/galleries/data/media/41/201201_Brasil_Visa.jpg

Oops, forgot - yes Matt you're right the VITUR Tourist Visa (as long as it is not VITUR-TE) issued to US passport holders is valid for 10 years and that is clearly marked on the visa. Other nation's citizens however rarely have a validity marked on the new style photo visa. The old style visa (without photo) which is probably no longer even seen all used to have an expiry date.

For most other VITUR visas the only observations at the bottom are that the first entry to Brazil must be made within 90 days of issue and that work or study is not permitted. Just like the photo of the VITUR Tourist Visa below. There is absolutely no indication of expiry.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-sBPYYqcEyOA/UOHYvWLmbgI/AAAAAAAAALI/ZPJpEii2gBs/s1600/IMG.jpg

Yes Exactly...

Does not make sense that only the USA has the 10 year validity written on the visa's. Is the consensus that the Non-USA passport holders do have Validity of 5-10 years also?

Aron

Hi Aron,

If you know anything at all about Brazil you wouldn't be talking about making sense. Making sense is almost a crime in this country.

The validity of a visa depends on two different factors:

1.  It generally depends on the validity period that your country (or that is to say the country of the passport you hold) places on visas that they issue to Brazilians. This is the concept of reciprocity.

2.  Visa issuing officers at each of the Consulados have almost complete autonomy and they can decide, without accounting to anyone, whether or not to issue a visa, how long of a stay they will permit and the expiry of the visa. For example even the 90 day (usual) visit duration is up to the whim of the visa issuing officer. They can for any reason they choose limit the visit to any length they wish. I've seen people apply for a VITUR expecting to get 90 days and they ended up with a 7 day visa, others 30 days and others 60 days. It's just part of the insane bureaucracy that this country is famous for worldwide. Public service workers all have way too much authority, or at least believe they have authority. Some think that they're only second to God Almighty himself, sad to say. Unfortunately even complaining does no good and can actually get you tossed in jail. There are laws about "desacato" (contempt) for chewing out, swearing at or complaining a lot about police and any other public employee just like with judges. They can register a police complaint and if accepted you can end up looking out at the Brazilian landscape from behind bars. Who ever said you can't have your cake and eat it too? These clods sure seem to be able to, whether we like it or not.

Given that, it is impossible to determine the actual expiry of any visa without consulting directly with the Consulado that issued it, or with the Policia Federal the 5 year - 10 year time frame is just a general rule of thumb.

The reason that the VITUR issued to US passport holders has a 10 year validity date clearly stated is because that was part of the reciprocal agreement with the USA. The US government insisted that it be 10 years (as is theirs for Brazilians) and that it must be stated on the document.

I'm just telling people what I know about the situation, hopefully here they have all heard about the age old saying "Don't shoot the messenger!"

Cheers,

William.

Cannot thank you enough for you responses. Not only to me but to everyone on this blog. I travel allot so I am used to most visa and travel issues. But plenty of people are daunted by Visa's and travels. You do a great job helping.

All the Australian's I travel with (we play Pro golf out of the USA) have the same thing in there passport (no valid date or one of 90 days) So we will have to contact the consulate.

Thanks again.

Aron

Hi again Aron,

The only thing I can say is that generally speaking most VITUR Tourist Visas issued are valid for 5 years, some others depending on the country 10. If I remember correctly Australia (like Canada) is one of the countries that get 5.

That said the other information I gave you is all true, sad to say. The one thing that I would point out if it's any relief to your friends that have in the observations at the bottom of their visa (between the level of the bottom of the photo and the coded lines at the very bottom) if the phrase "Validade 90 dias / Validity 90 days" appears there, don't get too worried this doesn't mean your visa is only valid for 90 days. It's really a redundant restating of the line that appears up near the top "Prazo de Estada / Duration of Stay 90 dias". That's one thing that's caused no end of problems for travelers. I've received complaints that some airlines have even refused passengers to board aircraft because of the confusion. So they should be aware of this possibility. Should it happen remember that it is not the place of an airline to determine the validity of a visa, they have no authority to do so. They are not immigrations authorities, they're in the transportation business and sell tickets ONLY. If they raise any fuss, make them phone the Consulado-Geral do Brasil and that should scare their pants off. Also threaten to take every legal action possible to seek damages against them if they continue to refuse boarding. Airline employees all over the world sometimes act just like they're Brazilians. LOL

We call that kind of person "cabeção" (big head).

Cheers,

Hi Will,

I have read through this 3 page post but just want to get your clarification again. Thank you first!
My situation is that my couple friends (Chinese citizen) currently is living in Canada and they want to apply for tourist visa to brazil by this end of Month because the guy will be leaving Canada in early March and heading back to China but he will be back sometime next year in Feb again, my question is that if we apply the visa this month and the guy doesn't use it until next year 2015 Feb, is there a expiration date on the visa?

Thanks again! :)

Hi twaca,

He couldn't use it because the visa would never become valid in the first place. All VITUR Tourist Visas for Brazil have a condition of use clearly printed on them that the FIRST ENTRY (to Brazil) must be made WITHIN 90 DAYS OF ISSUE. If one tried to enter Brazil with a visa that had been issued more than 90 days previous to their arrival in the country they'd be refused entry. It only takes a few weeks to issue a visa in most cases. It's better to apply shortly before one's intended date of travel.

Cheers,

I have a valid 10 year tourist visa. Now I will be visiting Brazil on business. Do I need to reapply for a business visa?

A VITUR Tourist Visa is for tourism purposes, it does not permit you to work while in Brazil. If you are doing business then you require a VITEM-II Business Visa.

Cheers,

Hi Will, thanks for your previous reply.

We were in the consulate last Friday for a Business Tour visa application. We were told to bring a notarized piece to show that we own a business in Canada.
I have checked with 2 law firm and showed us our Government Business Registration letter, but both law firms are saying they can only do “True Copy Certify”.
My question is if we get our Government Business Registration letter with a “True Copy Certify” by a notary, is it legit to the consulate's standard?

Thanks

I have no idea, you'd have to ask the Consulate staff that.

Comes out that they do accept "True Copy Certify"
Thanks again Will!

Cheers.

Hello, Im in need of some help.

I have a Vitur Visa issued from Houston consulate in 2013 of June and I am an American Citizen.
- duration of stay = 90 days
- number of entires = multiplas
- Validity = for 10 years
- por ano/ maximum = 180 days
- not valid for work or study

I have already emailed one brazilian consulate website on my return to brazil and whether I will be allowed in the county or not.
- they said My visa is still valid.

summer of 2013 I left july 13th and came back august 11th. I was admitted.

Now I am going back from June 3rd 2014 -- to -- August 12th 2014   

Will I have any issues being admitted into the country because of my (180 day limit) or will I have issues with validity?

Also is there no place I can go (on the web)  and be assured that I will be admitted into brazil? Because flying half way across the world and then not being admitted seems pretty crappy, especially when the consulate says your 10 year validity is okay, but I can't show the federal police in the airport a copy of my email saying I should be admitted and the federal police can still say that email can't be trusted.. Help please!!!

You will have to count all the days (including date of departure) that you were in Brazil between June 2, 2013 and June 3, 2014. You subtract that number from 180 to get the number of days you will be allowed in Brazil on your planned visit.

Since you don't say how long you were in Brazil when you came back in August 2013 it's difficult to say if you will be entitled to 90 days or not.

Cheers,

Sorry to stretch out your answers so frequently, but I also have a question about how long my visa is valid for multiple entries into Brazil.

My Visa reads Visto de Temporario (with the II in pen written next to it)
Valid for 90 days
Date:  31-07-07  (July 31, 2007)

First entry within 90 days, valid for multiple entries.

Because of the date of issue, is it good for 5 years or 10 years or is it unlimited?

Hi Steven,

Usually VITEM-II Business Visas are one-time-only use and once you've used up the stated visit validity (in your case 90 days) the visa has expired. You need to apply for a new VITEM for each entry to the country.

Cheers,

I hope that's not the case - I need to travel for business this coming week.  Would you please take a look at a picture of my actual Visa in my U.S. Passport to be certain?  In my mind I though that I possessed a Business Visa from 2007 that was valid for several years.  My questions were whether is was a 5 or 10 year Business Visa.  Now I suspect that I possess only a temporary visa.  Please take a look and see what you think:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevenblaketurner/13653862074/