How long is my Brazil visa valid for?

I got a visa from the Brazilian consulate in Buenos Aires and was wondering how many years it was good for.

The details are:

Entries: Multiple
Type: VITUR
Duration of stay: 90 days

At the bottom it says visa valid for 90 days from first entry in Brazil. Maximum 180 days per year. My understanding is that these are standard terms which apply to all tourist vistas. There is no expiration date listed on the visa, only a date of issue.

My main question is: how do I know HOW MANY YEARS (5 yrs, 10 yrs, or just one period of 90 days) the visa is valid for?

I am a US citizen. I tried asking the consulate when they gave me the visa but the lady just walked away (they weren't too helpful with anything).

I also tried asking the Federal Police/Immigration when I went to Sao Paulo last weekend but they were unable to tell me how many years my visa was good for. They said there was usually an expiration date on the bottom of the visa but my visa didn't have one.

I only plan to visit Brazil a couple weeks here and there over the next 5 years but really do not want to pay another $130 reciprocal fee if they did not give me a 5 or 10 year visa.

Hello anjuna11.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

In meantime, you can go through the other threads on Visas on the Brazil forum.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi Anjuna11,

Is your visa the old style (without photo) or the new style visa (with photo / bar code)?

If your visa is the old style look at the line immediately above the date of issue it is (Válido por / Validity) it should read "Cinco anos consecutivas a partir da primeira entrada. / Five consecutive years from first entry."

If it is not stamped properly the rule still holds and your visa will be valid for only that period of time. Don't count on benefiting from the 'error' of the issuing Consulate it could be a lot of headaches for you.

If your visa is the new style then the validity should be written in the comments towards the bottom. It is also included in the alpha-numeric code at the very bottom of the document. I'm sorry I don't know how to read that code, but you might be able to figure it out yourself, it should contain date of issue, country, validity, etc. Unless I am mistaken the same rules of validity apply, if not clearly spelled out they would count from date of issue since first entry within 90 is obligatory.

If issued in the USA before May 28, 2010 the maximum validity is FIVE years. Visas issued in the USA on or after May 28, 2010 are valid under a reciprocal agreement for TEN years.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

Thanks for the reply wjwoodward.

My visa is the new style, with photo and thus does not have the "valido por/validity" info above the date of issue like the old style. Instead, the visa number is above the date of issue.

The closest thing is the "Prazo de Estada/Duration of Stay" which is "90 dias".

At the bottom I have observed the following:

Visa number | Country | Date of Birth | X1234567

On mine, the numbers are 9912315 which I can't contort into any sensible date. Visa was issued in Aug 2012 so it's not the issue date either. Not sure what this sequence means. Here's the full text from the bottom of the visa (above the passport-type lettering and digits):

VISTO VALIDO POR 90 DIAS DE PRIMIERA NO BRASIL/
VISA VALID FOR 90 DAYS FROM FIRST ENTRY IN BRAZIL
MAXIMO: 180 DIAS POR ANO/MAXIMUM: 180 DAYS PER YEAR
NÃO PERMITE TRABALHO OU ESTUDO/NOT VALID FOR WORK OR STUDY

That's all I've got to go on...

Visa was not issued in the USA, it was issued at the Brazilian consulate in Buenos Aires.

Hi Anjuna11,

What is your citizenship? Are you American or Argentine? Even though the visa was issued in Argentina there's still a strong case to be made that it is subject to the USA issued visa if you're an American. It may be just for that reason that it bears no expiry date. I would think that they would start counting the ten years from the date of first entry.

Cheers,

US citizen

Should be ten years then (probably from issue). By the way the numbers 9912315 preceded by M or F are on all the new tourist visas not just US issue, so it wouldn't be that.

Cheers,

Thanks, I suppose we will find out for sure when I attempt to go back in 2014!!

If the Federal Police and immigration authorities, who are ostensibly responsible for checking the validity of my visa, cannot tell me when it expires then perhaps I will benefit from their incompetence.

Hi Anjuna11,

You are asking about the length of VALIDITY of your visa and not the length of time you can stay in Brazil, aren't you? Just so there is no confusion here.

The validity of the visa should be 10 years, but that doesn't mean that you can stay in the country for 10 years. You're only allowed to remain in the country for a maximum of 180 days in a 'rolling' year. The length of any given stay is 90 days, which can be extended by a further 90 days. The term rolling year refers to the fact that they count back one year from your date of entry, subtract all the days (including date of entry and departure) if you have been in the country previously in order to determine exactly how many days you are permitted to remain in Brazil on this particular visit.

I kind of got the feeling you're confusing the two terms since your visa was just recently issued and you say you will find out when you try to GO BACK in 2014. Are you talking about going back to your country of origin or are you talking about COMING back into Brazil in 2014? If you're really talking about coming back then there will be absolutely no problem your visa will still be valid. If you're thinking you can stay here until 2014 on a tourist visa you're mistaken and trying to do so will land you in a whole world of trouble.

Cheers,

To clarify, I am concerned about validity and 'go back' means go back to Brazil for another short tourist stay.

I don't plan to come anywhere near the 90-day or 180-day rules, only 2-3 week tourist trips over the next 5-10 years.

Thanks for the help!

You won't have any problems whatsoever then. The visa pemits multiple entries and as you say you will not get anywhere close to the stay limits, for short stays you would be able to make any number of visits in a given year.

Cheers,

Hi William:

I got the Brazil VITEM I (type I) visa.
Nationality: Chinese
multiplas entrance
6 months duration of stay.

M9912315

How long is the The validity of the visa?

Hi histone8,

Your visa is only valid for the six months of your stay. Following that if you are working in Brazil you will need to apply for a new visa. This should be done about three weeks before the visa expires.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

William:

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I have a contract with a University in Brazil: work only 3 months per year. This visa is good for my first time entrance. How about the next year? Shall I apply new visa?

Hi histone8,

Yes, you should apply for another visa about a month or so before you plan to travel back to Brazil.

Cheers,

Hi William,

Just a clarification though. The Tourist Visa rule states that extension cannot be given for "multiple entry visas". Is this rule really followed, if yes, then how to extend for next 90 days? Or is there any way to tell the embassy to provide a "single entry visa"? Thanks for your reply.

Hi ats_maverick,

There are two rules, one for countries that do not participate in the Visa Waiver Program (Non-VWP) and another for Visa Waiver Program (VWP) countries and Schengen Area countries.

Non-VWP countries (i.e. Countries in which you must apply through the Brazilian Consulate for a Tourist Visa) generally speaking the visa has a stay duration of 90 days, which can be extended for a further 90 days at the Federal Police here in Brazil.

VWP and Schengen Area countries (which just obtain a stamp in their passport on entry) then tourists are only permitted to stay for 3 months in a period of 6 months. Extensions are NOT permitted. Effectively the rule is 3 month in Brazil, 3 months outside Brazil, 3 months in Brazil and 3 months out.

Hope that clears up your doubts.

How you are treated as far as duration of stay depends solely on the nation that issued your passport, not necessarily your citizenship. Each program has its advantages and disadvantages. Those lucky enough to hold dual citizenship and for example have a passport from both a VWP and Non-VWP country can then pick and choose what rule they fall under simply by using the appropriate passport (and/or visa) to enter Brazil.

Cheers,

Hi William,

Thanks a lot!

Cheers!

Hi William,

One more question though...

I had visited Brazil in the end of 2011 on a tourist visa issued in the UK (I was studying there). But now I am back in India (my home country). I learned from the blog that Brazilian Tourist Visas are valid for 10 years. I am planning to visit Brazil within next few months. Do I need to apply for a fresh visa at the Brazilian Embassy in India or does the visa issued by the UK on Dec 2011 still hold good/valid?

Thanking you in advance.

Hi ats_maverick,

Are you travelling on a UK passport? Since citizens of the UK no longer require tourist visas, they are a VWP country I don't know if your visa is still valid. That in fact raises a lot of different questions. Is it still valid? If it is still valid, do you then fall under the old rules which would permit you to stay for 90 days and then request an extension of a further 90 days? Do you automatically fall under the new rules.

These are questions that only the Brazilian Consulate can answer, unfortunately. You will need to contact them. I would do so as soon as possible if I were you.

Cheers,

Hi William,

No, I have an Indian passport and was in UK as a student, from where I got my first tourist visa to Brazil. And in that visa, there is nothing mentioned about the validity, except its written that "Length of stay: 90 days" and its Multiple Entry. I think its best to ask the Brazilian Embassy in India about this. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Cheers!

It should have a validity of ten years then.

Cheers,

ats_maverick: If you have multi entry visa from UK (Brazil Embassy), thn thr is no need of another visa from Brazilian embassy in India. You can travel with the same visa and stay in Brazil for 90 days and as an Indian passport holder you may also extend for another 90 days.

My boss has a visa from Brazil that says it is valid for 5 years.  It was Issued on August 18, 2008.  I don't see in his passport that he took the initial trip to Brazil.  Perhaps the trip was cancelled?  Is the visa still valid?  Thank you.

Hi npappas1,

If you notice on the visa that it states clearly, "First entry must be within 90 days". It the passport does not show an entry and exit stamp for Brazil during that period in 2008/9 then the visa is no longer valid and your boss would need to apply for a new one. Not a big deal since the old visa is due to expire soon anyway and now visas have 10 years validity. (Provided your boss is American and will travel on an American passport)

Note that depending on the expiration date of your boss' passport he might require a new passport too, since entry into Brazil requires a passport that is valid for at least six months beyond the date of entry.

Cheers,

Thank you very much for your information.  It was very helpful

I am from Ghana and I just applied and got a multiple entry Brazilian visa which does not state a period of validity and when exactly it expires....What does this mean and how long do you think I can use this particular visa ?

Hi niiso,

Your visa says "MULTIPLE ENTRY" and therefore it has a validity of 10 years.

For those whose visas are not a multiple entry visa then it is valid for one single visit the duration of which will be stated on the visa.

Cheers,

hi william

i have no visa here in brasil. im living here in 3years, i can not get a visa til now.

How do i come to other country? when no visa here in brasil..thank you

Hi jhanesergio02,

Too bad that you weren't here in Brazil in 2009 when they had an Amnesty Program, you could have normalized your situation then.

Since you from the Philippeans you don't require a Tourist Visa for Brazil, just a valid passport allows you to stay for 3 months in any six month period. So if you have a passport you can leave the country, but will probably pay a fine for overstay, which will be recorded in your passport. You could come back in three months without any problem, but only for three months.

Cheers,

Hi wjwoodward,

Found this thread while trying to figure out what I need to do and am hoping you can help me.

I am a US citizen applying for a business visa.  I anticipate that I will need to go back and forth once or twice per year - 1 to 2 weeks max each time.

In looking at the Visa application (I have not finished it yet) - it does not seem to ask about how many times I might need to come back.  You mentioned earlier I think that the length of stay could be up to 5 (or was it 10?) years.  Do I need to do anything to make sure it is the max allowed time?  I would hate to go through this and find out later I should have applied differently.

Also - it looks like the cost is $160.  Does that change depending on how long the visa lasts?

Last - I am unsure of my travel dates yet. All I know is sometime in late April.  When I go to the consulates office in Boston, will they require that I have firm dates?

Thanks for any guidance.  I just fear getting to Brazil and being turned around.

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

I don't know about the length of validity for Temporary Work Visas, that generally depends on the company one works for here in Brazil. If you are self employed then that is something that would be determined by the visa issuing officer at the consulate. Tourist visas are now for a period of 10 year validity. I'm sure that a Temporary Work Visa would also allow multiple entries just as a Tourist Visa does. I believe that for a VITEM you'd really be looking at about a two or three year validity at which point you'd need to renew, but again that's up to the Consulate.

As far as firm dates, I think not. I believe that they will require that FIRST ENTRY to Brazil must be made within 90 days of issuance of the visa just as with a tourist visa. In your case I honestly believe your best bet is to address your questions with the Consulate for more definitive answers.

Cheers,

Hello,

I have a similar question, I hope you can help.
I have an Australian passport and was in brazil in 2011. I was issued a new style visa in buenos aires details are:

Number: 928846ma
Number of entries: multiplas
Date of issue: 8/2/2011
Type: vitur
Duration of stay: 90 dias
Text at bottom reads:
Visa valid for 90 days From the first entry in brazil maximum 180 days per year not valid for work or study
Number sequence at the bottom is:
928846ma<5aus... My date of birth then f for female then generic code 9912315
Under my picture next to the large blue number 35 is:
PAGOU
RS-OURO 35,00
ARS 147,00
TEC. 220.2

I have read that visas for Australians are issued for periods of 90 days to 5 years... Can you tell from this information if it is still valid?

Also, this visa is in my old passport. I needed to get a new one as I ran out of pages. Is it ok to bring my old passport with this visa even though I am now travelling on a new one with a new passport number?

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

Jana

Hi Janablag,

Yes your visa is still valid and you need to bring it with you because you must produce the visa upon entry. I believe that the validity period of your visa is five years, but I'm not certain because generally speaking they tend to have the same validity as visas your country issues to Brazilians (reciprocity), for example now visas for US citizens are valid for ten years.

Cheers,

Hi,

I am a US citizen with a US passport. I received a 10 year, multiple entry Brazilian visa in Nov 2011.

I have yet to enter Brazil, I plan to have my first entry into Brazil within the next month - April 2013.

Is my current visa valid? I read in one of the Brazilian Consulate pages that for US citizen there is no requirement to enter Brazil within 90 days of visa issuance.

Thanks,

K

Hi Kman787,

IF you look at the bottom of your visa you will probably find written there First entry within 90 days of issue "Primeira entrada em 90 dias da data de concessão", this is standard. If it isn't there you should phone or e-mail the Consulate where the visa was issued to clarify its validity.

Generally speaking they all must be used within 90 days of issue, but things may have changed.

Cheers,

I have an indian passport and applied for Brazil Visa in USA. I got the Visa from Washington DC Brazilian consulate.  Visa was issued on 12-Dec-2012 and I made my trip to Brazil on 8-Jan-2013. It says multiplas Entries,
Type of Visa: VITEM II
Duration of Stay: 90 days

In comments it says
Visa Vali for 90 days

Maximum: 180 days per year
not valid for work or study

first entry within 90 days from the date of issue.

I have my picture and below that it has 60 with blue circle. in the Bar codes below it has my name and it has the Visa number XXXXX MF and it says 3 IND 8011299M9912315.

Can you please let me know how I can find out when the Visa Expires?

Hi William,

I have the same question about my visa duration date.

I'm a Chinese and I get my Brazil visa in New York when I was a student there in Feb, 2012, I visited Brazil in March, 2012.

And now I'm thinking of going back next year for the world cup. On my visa it says,

Entries: Multiple
Type: VITUR
Duration of stay: 90 days

at the bottom it say,
V#######ME<5CHN#############<<<<<<

would you please let me know whether my visa is valid for 5 or 10 years? or where can I find the duration of my visa? I really really want to go back to Brazil next year!

Thanks a lot!

It should be valid for 10 years from the date of issue if it's one of the new style visas (with photo)

Cheers,

Hi, I am Singaporean but living in USA with green card

Now I go to Brazil for business visits and do have visa with VITEM II. Entry : Multiplas, Period of Stay 90 days, but it doesn't say expiry of visa , What is the validity of visa? do I need to apply after 90 days for again visa to visit. I just came back from Brazil on my visa. Is this visa valid for 5 years or 10 years? please let me know, thanks