Moving to France in January... Need advice.

Hi, I have decided to move to France after christmas for a year with the intention of working (anywhere) and become hopefully fluent at the language!
I have not decided anything yet...

Am looking into the following cities:

Nantes
Grenoble
Bordeaux
Rennes
Toulousse
Lyon

Has anyone any experience in moving to these places and trying to get jobs? Don't mind what work I get... Barwork, Mc Donalds, Kitchen Porter... as long as it pays, it's good! I have worked in France before and went to college in Grenoble for three months so my french isn't too bad!

Also, will be looking to share accomodation... Do I have to have a french bank account to prove I can pay for the forthcoming months and are the french welcoming of "etrangers"?

Any help much appreciated...

Thanks

Come on people... help me out!

Well...

come on... 2 minutes of your time please!!!!

You're not going to find a job, unless it's under the table. Employers have to spend a lot of money to sponsor Americans for a work visa, so unless you're a highly skilled professional you can forget that idea.

Working under the table is fine, you might be able to tutor in English but I'm not sure that it's going to enable you to pay the bills.

I think you should do a lot of research about moving to France before you just leave everything. I'm not trying to be a naysayer, but it's REALLY hard to make things happen out of thin air, nevertheless in three months (when your tourist visa expires).

Maybe try a student visa? You'll still have to postpone your trip.

Good luck.

Thanks a million for your feedback whether it be critical or not! You're the only one who resonse more than one word!!! I am actually Irish so I don't have a problem with a visa or that! Can you tell me is it possible to get jobs when you have "internediate" french... any jobs at all like those in the first post?

I think you should be able to find something in McDs, or possibly an Irish Bar... ? You could research all these before you leave !
Good luck with it all :)

If moving to Rennes area, or anywhere in Brittany most work is food or farm related, although unemployment is high in France there is plenty of work in abattoirs, dont let that word put you off, were not talking killing animals here were talking butcher work, cutting joints or packing meat, its good work, can be well paid, and comes with other benefits, contact www.manpower.fr/ most employers take people from agency's first, then employ them direct if they prove themselves. There are many different types of contracts and I will post some info on my blog later rozinbrittany.blogspot.com/ .