Basic Questions About Living In Italy From An Artist

Some years ago I spent almost an entire summer in Umbria attending an art school. I'm now considering living in Italy, but I don't know exactly where. My motivations are cultural, aesthetic, political. Perhaps Roma or Milano because of their size and cosmopolitanism. I am now at the very beginning of this possibility, so I am asking basic questions.

How much would I need to save, minimum, to move only myself and perhaps a backpack of stuff?

I have an MFA in painting, and have considered teaching, say, in an American high school there. But I would not limit myself to teaching at a high school or limit myself to teaching. I have little otherwise in the way of in demand skills, except that I am well educated and can write well. My Italian, presently, is basic. Where are good places to look for information on work in Italy?

Do you sometimes feel like a stranger in a strange land, and if so, what do you do about it?

What other questions should I ask?

Hi,
I am from Sweden, an expat in Rome for 4 years now so maybe I can help you partially.
As for saving up, are your plans to move here permanently?
As for living - to rent a room (flat-share) depending on area is around 4-500  euro per month, there are also rent of a bed only which may be cheaper. Furnished flats usually go for 800 Euro or more, depending on size, area etc.
To work in Italy has its challenges - I know some friends who teach english here and in some cases they have had to wait for the outpayment of their salaries for 2-3 months. So, for that reason it could be good to save up some money to keep you floating in case you'll face that kind of problems. There is an american international school here, John Cabot, that should be paying quite well but check out their website for the requirements to apply.
I hope this was answers to the questions - at least something to start with.
Good luck with your decision,
Camilla

Hello Camilla,

I may or may not intend to stay in Italy permanently. I'm guessing that I should save up at least 7k (US) at least. Thank you kindly for the information.

Steve

mentelocale.it/contenuti/index_html
liguria.angloinfo.com

Hi, above are a couple links that may help you. The first is in Italian, it tells you what's going on in the Ligurian region of Italy. I found out about this through a Facebook friend who was associated with the language school I was studying at. They also list movies being shown in English.

The second link is a newsletter of sorts in English.

As far as teaching English, I can tell you that yes, there is work but as another response indicated...getting paid quickly is a problem with a lot of schools. Also, most of the private schools have most of the hours in the afternoons and evenings, which means that even if you work every day you may not get enough hours to pay the bills.

I did some corporate stuff during the daytime but they are slow to pay the schools and this is where the problem lies with getting paid on time.

It can be a lonely life at times, especially if you don't know Italian well (I am still a beginner), but I have managed to make a few friends at school and work. And having a computer is  my salvation when I need a fix of home.

Hope this helps, best of luck to you. If you have any other questions feel free to ask me or check out my blog for some insights...help! i live with my italian mother in law

Tanti Aguri, Leah

Leah,

Thank you for the information.

Buona Fortuna,
Steve

Steve, myself and my fiancee are both artists living just outside Bologna. Bologna is a big University town so might have an appreciation of someone with your qualifications. you'll find that North Italy is more expensive than the southern regions. But the pay is supposedly  higher and there are more opportunities.

Cost of living is very high here and wages seem pretty low in comparison. I really don't know how Italians manage. There seems to be alot of cash in hand work which probably supplements alot of incomes.

Regarding feeling like a stranger in a strange land. Some people never get over that feeling, depends how you interact with the locals. Sometimes it can work to your advantage, it all depends on you. Coming from the UK i found the Italians to be warm and friendly and never had any problems with them. If your heart is set on Italy then you will probably settle in. As for me i never had any intentions of living here, but i met an amazing Italian girl, so i'm prepared to make the most of it. If things didn't work out with us i'd be on the first plane out of here:D

John,

I definitely appreciate the information.

Tanti auguri,
Steve