Hungarian "MoT"

When I bought my Hungarian registered 2008 Chevy back in February it did not come with anything recognisable to me as an MoT certificate but I assume it is old enough to need something like that. How do I tell when it needs to be taken for an inspection? Where do I take it when it is due?

Unfold your green "Forgalmi Engedely" (which you have to carry with you when you drive, but can't keep in the car because insurance won't pay if stolen along with the car)
There should be a section for expiry and empty rows for renewals.

Also the rear license plate has two round stickers above and below the "dash" between the letters and digits, with little holes coding the expiry date.

Ah yes, "muszaki érvenyességi idő". It expires in November or december, depending on how they display the dates (I'm never too sure unless the date contains a number greater than 12). Where do I take it when it needs a test?
Thanks for the tip about not leaving the registration document in the car, I will put it with my licence which I carry in a pocket.

So either this November or last December? :-)
It's always Year Month Day.

All but the smallest repair shops will do it for you for the same fixed price (plus their regular price for a pre-inspection checkup and any fixes/tuneups needed.)

If you take it somewhere for regular checkups, they'll probably remind you in time out of courtesy.

It's possible to take it to the inspection station(s?) yourself, someone else will have to fill you in on that, I've never done that... Last I heard there was an emission test and a general checkup, you used to have to keep track of expiry on the two separately, but now it's simpler.

There's just one more thing you have to keep up to date and with you when driving: the receipt from your liability insurance payment.

Thanks again. Dates are not always Year, Month, Day as even Hungarians get confused at times. I was trying to help a dual nationality guest to renew her Hungarian passport. We went to my village municipality office and asked where we had to go. We were told the passport was still valid! They were wrong, it had expired but they were reading the date in the wrong order.

Well, if it's something Hungarian, then it is year month day, Lastname Firstname, exclamation mark after "Dear X!", decimal comma and thousands separator dot :-)

Year is usually 4 digits, Month is often TLA to simplify matters.

Hungarians are so used to these they get confused with internationally standardized documents like passports, credit cards, machine-printed expiry dates on perishable food, etc.

szocske wrote:

Hungarians are so used to these they get confused with internationally standardized documents like passports, credit cards, machine-printed expiry dates on perishable food, etc.

They aren't the only ones. Kim Dotcom of Megaupload, an alleged internet pirate, while facing a judge this year (2012) in New Zealand was questioned over the validity of a Chinese visa in his passport. The prosecutor asserted this was to be used for his "escape" to mainland China in the event the authorities (i.e. the NZ police prompted by the FBI) moved in. However, during cross examination, the visa was in fact revealed (by Mr Dotcom) to be dated Chinese style and was actually from 2003.

D'oh!