Looking for a room

Hello kababayans! Anybody here from Amsterdam?

I'm an incoming UvA student arriving in Amsterdam next week (August 28) and desperately looking for a room to live for 4 months, from September 1 to December 31, 2012. Registration must be possible. I also need a temporary shelter when I get there. I don't mind sleeping on the couch or the floor. Haha! If you know anything, feel free to message me.

Salamat!

Hello sherwinm.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

A new thread has been created from your message on the Amsterdam forum.

The Housing in Amsterdam section might help. You should post an advert there.

Good luck in your research,
Aurélie

Hi
Have you checked websites like kamernet.nl or easykamer.nl? You could find some rooms for rent. Also if you want to stay in a hostel until you can find accommodation, you can check stayokay.com or google for some hostels. But hostels can be very expensive.
That's all I can help you with but if you would,like to know anything else, let me know.
Best Wishes

I Sherwinm,

Finding a place in Amsterdam is pretty hard. I've been living in Amsterdam (and arround) for 3 months now and it's hard, specially if you want spend less than 400€ for a room. Now I'm again looking for another place (my 3d time!)

The center is very expensive and sometimes not so kind. One alternative is to live up to 15km round square in another place which will allow you to reach the center in 30 minutes by bike with a cheaper deal.

You have many websites to find rooms, some of them need payment, I'll send you in a private message some free places which I found. One important thing: WE AWARE OF THE SCAMERS! NEVER GIVE MONEY AFTER YOU MEET THE PERSON AND HAVE THE KEYS IN YOUR HAND. There are a lot arround.

Another possiblity is going to supermarkets, sometimes people offer rooms leaving a little advertise on the wall of the supermarkets, like in Albert Heinz. To find a complete map of supermarkets (an opening hours) you can go to www.opentot.nl

In your case, if you take the metro 51 you can go to a student place in Uilenstede (metro stop has the same name). It's a big place with very tall buildings with different colours (yellow, green, red...) and pretty near to VU university.

I lived there for 2 months and is full of exchange students. The enterprise offering rent is called DUWO and is also there. Price is around 450€ month with temporal contract, altough sometimes students who no longer need the appartment illegaly subrent their room. Very often you can find also advertises in the walls on floor 0 in each building.
They are individual rooms with a very tiny shower and a shared kitchen for each 14 individual rooms.

I wish it's been helpful.

Good luck!