What's PNG life like?

Hi all,

My partner and I are looking at making the move to PNG (Lae specifically) and are interested in what day to day life is like.

I've done a bit of traveling through Africa and have been advised the cultural differences are similar.

The most important thing for us is safety.  Obviously we won't be idiots but if anyone has advice on the following questions I would so appreciate the input!

1. Is is safe to walk around during the day by yourself?
2. Are robberies, hijacks... common occurrences?
3. How have other expats networked and made friends?
4. What activities do people get involved in?
5. How do you best prepare for the move?

Basically any insight into moving from Aus to PNG would be great.

Cheers,
Sam

Hi Sam!

Welcome to Expat.com!
Hope the members of the forum will be able to help you out.

Regards
Armand

Hi can't help you much with info on your specific location. However we moved over a few months ago to port moresby. 

You have to be aware of your surroundings at all times.  Security is an issue, but can be managed. Dont drive alone at night etc etc. If your female don't walk alone.
Depending on where you live, will dictate how you can move around.
Hopefully your moving over with a company
, if so make sure your accommodation has security,
your new home has air-conditioning.
Take into account that the price of food is high here. ( factor it in financially)
Make sure you have good insurance & that your company is prepared to medivac you out if there is a need.
If you have children of any age, make sure you have access to a good reputable dr.
Also schools etc might be a challenge
Your wife / partner might have a problem getting a work visa
There are clubs etc with loads of expats. ( sailing) fishing gyms etc to meet ppl
Preparing for your move : injections, injections injections lol.
Know before hand that nothing is going to go according to plan
Bring your sense of humor. Patience is needed for everything
Bring everything you need with you, household items & even barbies cost $$$$$$$
It really depends on why your moving & if it something you both agree on . good luck